Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should all girls over 17 be offered the pill?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I would disagree with 16 year olds getting the pill , But it shouldn't be made easy for them when they have a baby and all the entitlements they get when they have the baby They have it too easy, If they stopped all the benefits they hand out to teenage mothers the amount of "unplanned" pregnancies would drop

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dudess wrote: »
    Ooh Snypee - you're so understanding of women's issues. :pac:

no no, not really..

its just something you pick up along the way..

How to get a ride in 3 easy steps.

1. Meet a woman you like

2 If she likes you.. let her talk, when she finishes, let her talk some more, when she finishes that let her talk some more until she starts repeating herself.

3. You're in. Go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

BluesBerry wrote: »
    I would disagree with 16 year olds getting the pill , But it shouldn't be made easy for them when they have a baby and all the entitlements they get when they have the baby They have it too easy, If they stopped all the benefits they hand out to teenage mothers the amount of "unplanned" pregnancies would drop

But then what about those who make an immature mistake. can't afford the child and he/she ends up as another statistic floating around government building beneath cover up after cover up. wouldn't it be better if the child wasn't conceived and instead she had a child 10 years later and that child went on to become a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Being a 16-year-old lone parent is many things, "easy" is not one of them, benefits or no benefits.
    mojesius wrote: »
    No, because a free pill from 16 sends a message that you should be having sex from that age.
    I don't know whether it sends that message as opposed to being open to interpretation as sending out that message. But even if that's how some would interpret it, there are still lots of unwanted teen pregnancies without easier access to the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

"the age consent is 17!!!1!"

Like that matters a jot.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    no no, not really..

its just something you pick up along the way..

How to get a ride in 3 easy steps.

1. Meet a woman you like

2 If she likes you.. let her talk, when she finishes, let her talk some more, when she finishes that let her talk some more until she starts repeating herself.

3. You're in. Go for it
    Understanding of periods = blowjob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Girls are free to go into their doctor and request the pill from 16 upwards afaik.
    So really they already have the choice, though it's not free for everyone it is available on the medical card.
    I don't see your reasoning behind this.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yeah like all those poor bankers for a start. I think free contraception is a great idea, both the pill and condoms should be free to the young (over age of consent obviously) and to the unemployed who might not be able to afford them. Cuts down on unwanted pregnancies, and combined with good sex ed for the youngsters will will make a serious dent in the numbers of people catching std's. Such an initiative would probably save money in the long run.

I meant money that could be used for things like the cervical cancer vaccine for girls that was meant to be rolled out.
    Sexual Education in most schools does need to be much improved though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jaysus someone get me a pen quick I've got to take his down!

storm2811 wrote: »
    Girls are free to go into their doctor and request the pill from 16 upwards afaik.
    So really they already have the choice, though it's not free for everyone it is available on the medical card.
    I don't see your reasoning behind this.:confused:

1) the vast majority of people do not know this. we need better education

2)why ruin the life of the mother and the baby when it can be avoided.

3) Sex is so untalked about in this countries households it not even funny. i would imagine that most people when 17 would not have wanted to talk about sex with their family. although this is changing it is still the case. as a society i think we need to mature and stop treating sex as a taboo subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Otherwise known as step 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The instant any daughter of mine's cherry blossom falls, they'll be getting a gift of a lifetime supply of the pill from me.

If I haven't started mashing it into their cornflakes before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Ontop of the fact that it needs to be taken correctly or you're wasting your time taking it[/QUOTE]

snyper, i like your thinking, the first word ontop with a capital o, what about the implant, it takes a the mental hardship out of it, did i take it, will i take it, have i forgotton to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Personally I think they should just plug the stuff into the water supply and you get the antidote when you pass a Ability To Parent test.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 glow

Yeah like all those poor bankers for a start. I think free contraception is a great idea, both the pill and condoms should be free to the young (over age of consent obviously) and to the unemployed who might not be able to afford them. Cuts down on unwanted pregnancies, and combined with good sex ed for the youngsters will will make a serious dent in the numbers of people catching std's. Such an initiative would probably save money in the long run.

For those who cant afford, they can already get the pill using a medical card anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

guys use condoms in case she's not on the pill - every girl in the country on the pill means no more condoms = HIV/STDs

also sends out the message that it's ok to be having sex from that age and that the government agrees..

also - how many of these "teenage mothers" are actually the baby's sister :rolleyes:

but anyways - NO it won't help and will cause more problems than it'll solve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

glow wrote: »
    For those who cant afford, they can already get the pill using a medical card anyway??

Can you get condoms of the medical card, not been a smart arse just don't know? If not then they really should be available, safe sex and birth control are not the responsibility of the woman alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    guys use condoms in case she's not on the pill - every girl in the country on the pill means no more condoms = HIV/STDs

also sends out the message that it's ok to be having sex from that age and that the government agrees..

also - how many of these "teenage mothers" are actually the baby's sister :rolleyes:

but anyways - NO it won't help and will cause more problems than it'll solve

Well by right we should be educating the young folk to use both really.....whether they do/will is another matter:o

Can you get condoms of the medical card, not been a smart arse just don't know? If not then they really should be available, safe sex and birth control are not the responsibility of the woman alone.

afaik anyone can go to the doctor and get free condoms . medical card or no card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 glow

This i dont know, as I dont personally have one but I have never heard of anyone getting condoms on a medical card though...

I think that Ireland really needs to embrace the "family planning clinic" model that they have in the UK...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

johnmcdnl wrote: »

No it doesn't, it just sends out the message that we're aware of what teenagers actually do at that age and trying to cut down on unwanted pregnancies. Sweeping the problem under the carpet and saying "Don't do that" isn't going to help anything, because let's face it, teenagers are gonna do it anyway. I was there not too long ago.

Gary4279 wrote: »
    1) the vast majority of people do not know this. we need better education

2)why ruin the life of the mother and the baby when it can be avoided.

3) Sex is so untalked about in this countries households it not even funny. i would imagine that most people when 17 would not have wanted to talk about sex with their family. although this is changing it is still the case. as a society i think we need to mature and stop treating sex as a taboo subject.

I'd say better education is needed,we were never told in sex ed. what age we could get the pill at.

Even if girls don't want to talk to their parents about it they can go in and the doctor won't contact the parents about it.(As long they're 16 or over)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

storm2811 wrote: »
    I'd say better education is needed,we were never told in sex ed. what age we could get the pill at.

Even if girls don't want to talk to their parents about it they can go in and the doctor won't contact the parents about it.(As long they're 16 or over)

I certainly didn't learn about the pill until college and it wasn't as if i missed any sex ed lectures in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

Einhard wrote: »
    Fup you OP. If my mother had been giving the pill at 16 I wouldn't be here now, and boards wouldn't be getting the benefit of my fascinatingly erudite comments!!!:pac:

Seriously though, no. AFAIK, there's a strict regimen involved in taking the pill. If a girl can't be bothered to make sure her fella slaps a jonny on, then it's unlikely that she's going to use the pill properly.

it's not the responsibility of the girl to make sure her fella slaps a jonny on! if anything, it's the guys responsibility!

i do hope you're joking with this comment!

Yes he is.
    The instant any daughter of mine's cherry blossom falls, they'll be getting a gift of a lifetime supply of the pill from me.

If I haven't started mashing it into their cornflakes before hand.
    Your hypothetical daughter probably won't be breaking the news to you when it happens.

eimearcmh wrote: »
    I certainly didn't learn about the pill until college and it wasn't as if i missed any sex ed lectures!

:eek:
    How old are you?
    Sorry, I know it's kind of a personal question but it sounds like something that would have happened when sex was never talked about.
    I couldn't imagine it happening today!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thread title changed from 16 to 17?! Sure everyone knows that underage people never have sex /s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I think all persons (men and women) over 17 should be given Condoms, Teenage Pregnancy is not half the problem to society that Veneral Diseases are. The pill promotes promiscuity and the spread of disease. Condoms stops both pregnancy and far more importantly STDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

lila44 wrote: »
    it's not the responsibility of the girl to make sure her fella slaps a jonny on! if anything, it's the guys responsibility!

Well it is her responsibility if she lets him continue without a jimmy hat, just as its my responsibility if passengers in my car are found not to be wearing a seat belt. No condom, no sexy time if you don't want kids (or a dose of the clap for that matter) should be the rule and the women need to enforce it.

• Advertisement

lila44 wrote: »

the responsibility is split 50% to each party. hate when people get sexest.

Advertisement