Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion: Stage 1 Science Modules and Electives

Options
  • 31-08-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I'm just looking at the modules needed for the different streams in the science year 1 programme.

The 1st semester for most of the biology based streams takes up 30 credits. I thought it was only supposed to take 25 leaving 5 for electives.

EG: Semester 1 Neuroscience

BIOL10050 (5)
    CHEM00010 (5)
    MATH00010 (5)
    PHYC10020 (5)
    MATH10070 (5)
    MATH10090 (5)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

YouthNovel wrote: »
    I'm just looking at the modules needed for the different streams in the science year 1 programme.

The 1st semester for most of the biology based streams takes up 30 credits. I thought it was only supposed to take 25 leaving 5 for electives.

EG: Semester 1 Neuroscience

BIOL10050 (5)
    CHEM00010 (5)
    MATH00010 (5)
    PHYC10020 (5)
    MATH10070 (5)
    MATH10090 (5)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

If you did honours chemistry for leaving cert and got a C or higher in it, you don't need to do CHEM00010, leaving room for an elective. Otherwise you have to do it.
    You only need to take two maths modules, and you can take matrices and vectors in the second semester.

I was disappointed with any elective I took outside science and wish I had only done science modules. I took some language ones because I liked Irish and Spanish and they were very, very, very boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

rantyface wrote: »
    If you did honours chemistry for leaving cert and got a C or higher in it, you don't need to do CHEM00010, leaving room for an elective. Otherwise you have to do it.
    You only need to take two maths modules, and you can take matrices and vectors in the second semester.

I was disappointed with any elective I took outside science and wish I had only done science modules. I took some language ones because I liked Irish and Spanish and they were very, very, very boring.

I was wondering the same, doing Neuroscience. Thanks.
    I won't be taking any module outside Science anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

So I don't have to do one of the MATH10070 or MATH10090 if I have to do MATH00010?

If so, graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

So I don't have to do one of the MATH10070 or MATH10090 if I have to do MATH00010?

If so, graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

This maths thing is really confusing me. It says in the leaflet that you have to do 2 maths modules so I was going to do 10070 and 10090. Is it 2 modules for the whole year? On the website it looks like they're saying that each of those is studied in both semesters meaning that you would be doing 4 overall in a year. :confused: Please someone help.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Anyone else doing comp sci. had a look at theirs? I am thoroughly confused!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

You only need to do intro calculus and matrices and vectors. You don't have to do the statistics one. Some are offered in both semesters because the classes are so big, half the year sits it one semester and the other half the next semester.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

rantyface wrote: »
    You only need to do intro calculus and matrices and vectors. You don't have to do the statistics one. Some are offered in both semesters because the classes are so big, half the year sits it one semester and the other half the next semester.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! :)
    I just didn't know if it was one big module split in 2 over both semesters.

When picking times tomorrow would it be better to do lectures before tutorials in a subject or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

Does that mean that you only pick Math10070 and Math10090 and that does you for the two semesters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chemgirl

Does that mean that you only pick Math10070 and Math10090 and that does you for the two semesters?

if you pick one for each semester eg do math10070 in semester one and math10090 in semester 2. It means that you dont have to do loads of maths in one semester

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Implosiony

I'm doing Science Omnibus too, and have a problem:

I have to do Maths00010 (damn D in Higher Level). The little box at the side that calculates how many credits you've allocated says it counts as 5 credits and that I'm at 60.

But on other screens, it leaves Maths00010 and says I'm on 55.

Is this because it's a level 0? Do I need to pick another level 1 module?

EDIT: Nevermind, think it still counts...

• Advertisement

Implosiony wrote: »
    I'm doing Science Omnibus too, and have a problem:

I have to do Maths00010 (damn D in Higher Level). The little box at the side that calculates how many credits you've allocated says it counts as 5 credits and that I'm at 60.

But on other screens, it leaves Maths00010 and says I'm on 55.

Is this because it's a level 0? Do I need to pick another level 1 module?

EDIT: Nevermind, think it still counts...
    It definitely counts.
    They only last a semester, but yes. If it says you need two maths modules then it means per year, not per semester.
    Victoria. wrote: »
    Thanks! :)
    I just didn't know if it was one big module split in 2 over both semesters.

When picking times tomorrow would it be better to do lectures before tutorials in a subject or does it matter?
    Lectures before tutorials, in general.

Advertisement