Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement Beret

• 31-08-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭

Lads
    I have mislaid my green RDF beret any idea where I could buy a new one or one of similar colour online or in a shop.
    And yes I know the CQMS should be my first port of call but experiance tells me the other option would be handier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Anna_Banana

Short answer - No, you can’t buy it is a shop.
    Just get in touch with your CQ, getting a spare one that may be floating around isn’t as difficult as you may think.
    Any mates that don’t train anymore?
    Might be able to get one from a friend’s brother or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Short answer - No, you can’t buy it is a shop.
    Just get in touch with your CQ, getting a spare one that may be floating around isn’t as difficult as you may think.

This, should be no problem getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

BQ is the next best option !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

superref wrote: »
    BQ is the next best option !!

There is a Chain of Command in the Defence Forces for a reason....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

Lads
    I have mislaid my green RDF beret any idea where I could buy a new one or one of similar colour online or in a shop.
    And yes I know the CQMS should be my first port of call but experiance tells me the other option would be handier.

Mislaid= Lost/Stolen=incompetent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

82dgolf wrote: »
    Mislaid= Lost/Stolen=incompetent

please tell us how you never lost anything in your life so we can be as competent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Husqvarna

There's a place down the west end of the Curragh camp that issues green berets. Just drop in and ask for one, shouldn't be any hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

By any chance did u loose it in the glen 2 weeks ago on the A lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

It turned up in a mates car this afternoon! Actually it was losing the cap badge was annoying me more old brass one not one of the manky plasticy yokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

There is no greater panic than when your beret has been misplaced..particularly whilst on a pots course! Since that faithful day I now have a fluffy spare beret tucked away in the civvi bag for such occasions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Or nothing funnier than when someone misplaces one which is still on their head!

BigDuffman wrote: »
    There is no greater panic than when your beret has been misplaced..particularly whilst on a pots course! Since that faithful day I now have a fluffy spare beret tucked away in the civvi bag for such occasions!

Having a spare beret tucked away at all times is very handy indeed!
    No need for that horrible panic/turning everything upside down.

If your CQ is ever offering surplus kit, always take it.
    I have a spare everything (and then some) tucked away. Just in case ;)

please tell us how you never lost anything in your life so we can be as competent...

I would say you would be better of having a bit of respect for an item which was supplied to him by the people of this country, I am sure if he had to pay for his uniform he would not be so negligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I had two, one was dyed black though. You are not getting my other one. I remember once when I was serving coming across a black one on the Naas Road complete with badge. I still have it. I'm guessing it fell off a soldier in the back of a truck or was knocked off. Complete with staybrite badge. I still have my green one but my brass badge is back on duty as I gave it to a serving member of the RDF in exchange for a staybrite. It pleases me to think it's back on duty. A polished brass badge always looks better than a staybrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I am sure if he had to pay for his uniform he would not be so negligent.

So I suppose you never lost a civvi jumper?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I would say you would be better of having a bit of respect for an item which was supplied to him by the people of this country, I am sure if he had to pay for his uniform he would not be so negligent.

I would say that the people of this country are far more interested in getting the €80,000+ back off a certain senator and the €24,000,000,000 going into a broken bank than the approx €8 for a beret.

I would say that the people of this country are far more interested in getting the €80,000+ back off a certain senator and the €24,000,000,000 going into a broken bank than the approx €8 for a beret.

I wonder how much it cost to run the RDF for 1 year. Taking into account that the country get no return from them. And yet they get PAID for not supplying any service or product. Yet they get clothing for free and by the sounds of it a couple of issues for items that are "mislaid", Food for free, in fact i would say they get everything for free. how many are in the RDF 14000?

Beret = €8 approx of course x 14000 = €112000 and thats just for there berets.

Broken Bank + RDF = A waste of Tax payers money.

So I suppose you never lost a civvi jumper?

Yes. When i was 5. Do the RDF take 5 year olds?

No possibility of fruitful discussion. Mods please close thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah No, I'm sure sense can be regained here,

The RDF, Or FCA as it was called in my day, is a valuable and integral part of the states Defence & Civil Defence.

The FCA are essentially a large Group of trained Volunteers willing to work within a Military command structure, Of course they Get Paid, butonly when they are in camp, And I have to say that when I was in the FCA Back in the Late 90's I could earn more Workin than I could by Showin up in the Curragh to March around in the Rain gettin Shouted at, but I would still Go to the Curragh if the opportunity presented itself.

The FCA Also plays a valuable part in moulding The Youth of the nation into Something resembling Civic Minded Adults (most of the time) It teaches younglads about responsibility and working in Teams, It can also be very liberating to find out you are actually rather good at things you had no Idea you could do, like hit a Snap Target at 300M :D Repeatedly and accuratley.

Ita also provides an invaluable recruiting ground for the Real Army (PDF) and gives those recruiters a chance to See the aplicant pool in action and make much better decisions n who would be suited to Join.

Just my 2c on the topic.

Anyone care to add anything I've missed

My point is, yes it may seem its only €8 but in the big picture all these €8 add up. The Blasé Attitude people have in this country needs to stop when it come's to spending other people's money.

Ah No, I'm sure sense can be regained here,

The RDF, Or FCA as it was called in my day, is a valuable and integral part of the states Defence & Civil Defence.

The FCA are essentially a large Group of trained Volunteers willing to work within a Military command structure, Of course they Get Paid, butonly when they are in camp, And I have to say that when I was in the FCA Back in the Late 90's I could earn more Workin than I could by Showin up in the Curragh to March around in the Rain gettin Shouted at, but I would still Go to the Curragh if the opportunity presented itself.

The FCA Also plays a valuable part in moulding The Youth of the nation into Something resembling Civic Minded Adults (most of the time) It teaches younglads about responsibility and working in Teams, It can also be very liberating to find out you are actually rather good at things you had no Idea you could do, like hit a Snap Target at 300M :D Repeatedly and accuratley.

Ita also provides an invaluable recruiting ground for the Real Army (PDF) and gives those recruiters a chance to See the aplicant pool in action and make much better decisions n who would be suited to Join.

Just my 2c on the topic.

Anyone care to add anything I've missed

Volunteers; I think you need to look up the definition of a Volunteer. It does not mention anywhere about getting Paid.

Responsidility; Looks like they need to go back to the drawing board, They can even mind there Beret's.

Recruiting; Well i do agree with this, i am sure it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Volunteers; I think you need to look up the definition of a Volunteer. It does not mention anywhere about getting Paid.

Military volunteers are persons who commit to a volunteer military of their own free will.

You almost seem to be looking for something to be indignant about, to be honest. The RDF doesn't waste money; it's notoriously spendthrift, and equipment and uniform is used well past it's best before date

So the guy or gal lost a beret! Big deal. If they lose two, that's when you start asking questions. If they're committed and training well, then it's not a problem. The real waste of resources in the reserve was always the people who left in the first year, after all the man hours and money spent on their paperwork, training and recruit camp.

Donny5 wrote: »
    it's notoriously spendthrift,
    I agree Recklessely Wasteful.
    You almost seem to be looking for something to be indignant about.

Not at all, i am replying to the comment's made by other people.If people have a problem hearing the hard truth's. (Blinker vision) Don`t mention the war and all that.

And to be honest i was not aware weapons,equipment and uniform's had best before date's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I agree Recklessely Wasteful.

Not at all, i am replying to the comment's made by other people.If people have a problem hearing the hard truth's. (Blinker vision) Don`t mention the war and all that.

And to be honest i was not aware weapons,equipment and uniform's had best before date's.

Hah, fair enough. I meant the antonym of spendthrift, maybe miserly or tight.

All equipment has natural wastage. Nothing lasts forever. The RDF always had a minimal issue of everything, and the only real waste was uniforms issued to people who ****ed off almost immediately after getting their gear. There's no hard truths for me to face now, since I'm not in it, but I also know I had only the one smock until my POTS course, when I got a secondhand one on loan for the tactics block. If you think the RDF was wasting money, that's fine. I'm sure you can find inefficiencies. They were certainly no worse than any other large organisation I've come across, and certainly had nothing to do with lost berets.

Hah, fair enough. I meant the antonym of spendthrift, maybe miserly or tight.

lol. Well i did think that is what you where to mean't to say to tell the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

I wonder how much it cost to run the RDF for 1 year. Taking into account that the country get no return from them. And yet they get PAID for not supplying any service or product. Yet they get clothing for free and by the sounds of it a couple of issues for items that are "mislaid", Food for free, in fact i would say they get everything for free. how many are in the RDF 14000?

Beret = €8 approx of course x 14000 = €112000 and thats just for there berets.

Broken Bank + RDF = A waste of Tax payers money.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

For the year ending 2009, a total of 6,732 were on the books. Out of those, 2,447 reservists qualified for their end of year grat ie. showed up for their training and completed the necessary manhours etc. Quite a bit away from 14,000 yes?

The reserve budget for 2010 is 4.9 million.

Big woop, the user in question misplaced his/her beret. At least they didn't lose their rifle.

And just as a by the way, you say the reserve has never done anything for the country. When was the last time the RDF/FCA/LDF/LSF has lost a war, or Ireland has been invaded?? :rolleyes: :D

I found it and by the way I did pay for it, Im a taxpayer. Last year I paid €21347.35 in PAYE so I think Im covered there. You might be better having a pop at the f##k#*s who have lost the state billions I think they are a bit more negligent.

• Advertisement

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

For the year ending 2009, a total of 6,732 were on the books. Out of those, 2,447 reservists qualified for their end of year grat ie. showed up for their training and completed the necessary manhours etc. Quite a bit away from 14,000 yes?

The reserve budget for 2010 is 4.9 million.

Big woop, the user in question misplaced his/her beret. At least they didn't lose their rifle.

And just as a by the way, you say the reserve has never done anything for the country. When was the last time the RDF/FCA/LDF/LSF has lost a war, or Ireland has been invaded?? :rolleyes: :D

Ok Dave lets have a look, whats that site http://www.military.ie/reserves/index.htm well i was a bit out but are we trying to give a false impression? it does say Army Reserve total, 11948 and Naval 400 a bit misleading if it's not.But maybe thats at full strenght.
    But nice to see some figures, so 6732 on the books as you say, and 2447 get grat. I won't ask how much it is, but is it taxed?
    Also how many manhours has to be done? And the people that don't turn up are they kept? Why have the RDF if less than half show?

Now a Budget of 4.9 Million Are you trying to tell me we have given a Budget of 4.9 Mil to 6732 people of which less than half turn up? Is this a joke? Don't tell to many people this.

"Big Woop" Ya Nice.

I would like to think anyone who is unable to look after there kit would be kept well clear of weapons. Poor training i would say.

"When was the last time the RDF/FCA/LDF/LSF has lost a war, or Ireland has been invaded?"
    Good point, so why have them?

I found it and by the way I did pay for it, Im a taxpayer. Last year I paid €21347.35 in PAYE so I think Im covered there. You might be better having a pop at the f##k#*s who have lost the state billions I think they are a bit more negligent.

I am glad you found it, do you think if you had a bit better training you would have better respect for your kit?

And i am not trying to be smart when i ask you that, you had to be trained poorly if you can't even look after that. At least you where looking to BUY a new Beret. Most people who replyed seem to say just go get a one as if there just given out at a whim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

I can't comment on what the authority's are saying the strength is. But in my opinion 12000 is a very ambitious figure. The numbers I've quoted are based on reports published on the oireachtas website.
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie

The grat rate depends on rank and service done during the year.
    It starts at 180 for a private who has done 7 days full time training.
    To qualify for it a person must be present for a minimum of the equivilent of 24 parade nights. That comprises of 8 parade nights and either 8 days or 4 overnights. A day is counted as 2 parade nights and an overnight is counted as 4 parade nights.

If a person doesn't show up or get the manhours in they are marked as ineffective on the numbers.

The equitation school has ~€1,000,000 per annum and imo they do bog all for either the DF or the state. "Promoting the irish horse".

I don't think it's fair to be comparing the standard of training and a lack of respect of uniform. I've still got the same kit that I was issued with years ago. My name and number is written on everything that I signed for. So if someone decides that they like the look of one of my shirts or my beret and swipe it when I'm not around is it my fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

So if someone misplaces any kit,or that kit is stolen,its down to their training?

Last time I checked,we are not trained to hold on to our kit at all times for dear life,mainly because at the end of the day it would be physically impossible for me to hold on to all the kit I have been issued with. Or do you suggest I carry it in a bag at all times I am in Barracks? Stuff goes missing in all walks of life!!!

Most people who come on here giving out about the RDF usually do so with points that are a bit more concrete,such as time or money constraints as a factor to the standards,but basing your argument on one mans misplaced,but eventually found Beret seems to me at least a little mental and paper-thin!

Ask Manic,or any BA soldier and I'am sure they have misplaced kit or had things stolen,does that make them poorly trained soldiers? Doubt it tbh.

I can't comment on what the authority's are saying the strength is. But in my opinion 12000 is a very ambitious figure. The numbers I've quoted are based on reports published on the oireachtas website.
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie

Thats fair enough, but to say i have not idea what i am talking about? i have shown you where i got the idea.
    The grat rate depends on rank and service done during the year.
    It starts at 180 for a private who has done 7 days full time training.
    To qualify for it a person must be present for a minimum of the equivilent of 24 parade nights. That comprises of 8 parade nights and either 8 days or 4 overnights. A day is counted as 2 parade nights and an overnight is counted as 4 parade nights.

May i ask you as a Volunteer, do you think you should get payed for been a Volunteer?
    If a person doesn't show up or get the manhours in they are marked as ineffective on the numbers.

Are these people finished in the RDF? And if they never show again how are all the items of kit the where given returned?
    The equitation school has ~€1,000,000 per annum and imo they do bog all for either the DF or the state. "Promoting the irish horse".
    Thats maybe a hole other thread.
    I don't think it's fair to be comparing the standard of training and a lack of respect of uniform. I've still got the same kit that I was issued with years ago. My name and number is written on everything that I signed for. So if someone decides that they like the look of one of my shirts or my beret and swipe it when I'm not around is it my fault?

Is this your comrade's that steal from each other?

Well just to point out i mean no offence to anyone in any reply i give, and if anyone has taken it i offer them an apology. My main thing was the blasé attitude people where in there responce to just get other, it should not be a problem. As if it happened all the time.

So if someone misplaces any kit,or that kit is stolen,its down to their training?

Last time I checked,we are not trained to hold on to our kit at all times for dear life,mainly because at the end of the day it would be physically impossible for me to hold on to all the kit I have been issued with. Or do you suggest I carry it in a bag at all times I am in Barracks? Stuff goes missing in all walks of life!!!

Most people who come on here giving out about the RDF usually do so with points that are a bit more concrete,such as time or money constraints as a factor to the standards,but basing your argument on one mans misplaced,but eventually found Beret seems to me at least a little mental and paper-thin!
    Looking at your user Name, you bearly warrant a reply. Maybe you should read the thread.

• Advertisement

Ask Manic,or any BA soldier and I'am sure they have misplaced kit or had things stolen,does that make them poorly trained soldiers? Doubt it tbh.

Dear god please don't try to put yourself any where near the same training level as a BA Soldier. I have the utmost respect for them. They are under paid and one of the most profesional armies in the world. And i am sure when they pack there kit for the place they go, they know where everything is.

Dear god please don't try to put yourself any where near the same training level as a BA Soldier. I have the utmost respect for them. They are under paid and one of the most profesional armies in the world. And i am sure when they pack there kit for the place they go, they know where everything is.

British soldiers do lose kit(I used to be one) generally you get billed for what you lost, as for training your quite right they are well trained which costs a lot of money, which we cant afford. Their Territorial Soldiers get paid( some v good, some I met bloody awful) for all their training.

Anyway I found the beret!

British soldiers do lose kit(I used to be one) generally you get billed for what you lost, as for training your quite right they are well trained which costs a lot of money, which we cant afford. Their Territorial Soldiers get paid( some v good, some I met bloody awful) for all their training.

Anyway I found the beret!

Good stuff. Case closed :)

What we get paid on our summer camps/full time training days is not a whole lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

We get issued minimal kit, and have to spend money to supplement other necessities and equipment for training.
    So what I get for my 7 days camp just about covers that.

May i ask you as a Volunteer, do you think you should get payed for been a Volunteer?

Volunteer as in 'not conscripted'. All PDF are volunteers - do you suggest they should also receive no pay for their services?

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    Volunteer as in 'not conscripted'. All PDF are volunteers - do you suggest they should also receive no pay for their services?

No Volunteer as in the English dictionary of the meaning.

Was this case not closed!! Hmmmmmm Anyway lets keep going so.

I just checked the PDF Offical web site and i can't see anywhere it say's a PDF member is a VOLUNTEER. And i can see that Applications are now being accepted for General Service Enlistment in the Army. And no mention of been a Volunteer, But lots of words like Jobs/Careers/employment/Pay. Maybe your told your a volunteer after you sign. You would think they would have that info up.

So my answer to your question. They should get pay for there service.

Also maybe you could read the thread and answer some off the questions i asked with no reply. Instead of just picking the ones you think you know something about.

And while your reading please remember it was not i that first mentioned the words Volunteer.

a person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.
    a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.
    Military . a person who enters the service voluntarily rather than through conscription or draft, esp. for special or temporary service rather than as a member of the regular or permanent army.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/volunteer
    Volunteer \Vol`un*teer"\, n. [F. volontaire. See Voluntary, a.]

1. One who enters into, or offers for, any service of his own free will. [1913 Webster]

2. (Mil.) One who enters into service voluntarily, but who, when in service, is subject to discipline and regulations like other soldiers; -- opposed to conscript; specifically, a voluntary member of the organized militia of a country as distinguished from the standing army. [1913 Webster]
    http://www.dictionary.net/volunteer
    Definition of VOLUNTEER
    : a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service: as a : one who enters into military service voluntarily
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/volunteer

Yet you say I know nothing about it? Funny that.

Mahatma Coat ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67814445&postcount=22 ) provided a very succinct post on the benefits of the RDF. He is correct in his use of the term volunteer despite your protestations. Furthermore, I am correct in stating that all members of the DF are volunteers, as they are not conscripted into the military.

As for your questions, you've received a reply to every one, whether you acknowledge it or not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/volunteer

http://www.dictionary.net/volunteer

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/volunteer

Yet you say I know nothing about it? Funny that.

Mahatma Coat ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67814445&postcount=22 ) provided a very succinct post on the benefits of the RDF. He is correct in his use of the term volunteer despite your protestations. Furthermore, I am correct in stating that all members of the DF are volunteers, as they are not conscripted into the military.

As for your questions, you've received a reply to every one, whether you acknowledge it or not.

2. (Mil.) One who enters into service voluntarily, but who, when in service, is subject to discipline and regulations like other soldiers; -- opposed to conscript; specifically, a voluntary member of the organized militia of a country as distinguished from the standing army.

Key word there is; Regulations. ie; Pay Regulations.

And you need to read the thread again as they have not been answered.my questions that is.

Reservists are subject to regulations aswell the majority of the 1954 Defence Act while in uniform/on full time training and for certain sections when not in training.

Your q's on the costs etc of the Reserve have been answered already from what I can see but state your questions again and I'll oblige.

Reservists are subject to regulations aswell the majority of the 1954 Defence Act while in uniform/on full time training and for certain sections when not in training.

Your q's on the costs etc of the Reserve have been answered already from what I can see but state your questions again and I'll oblige.

but is it taxed? This was in relation to grat, I got no reply

Why have the RDF if less than half show? No reply.

Are these people finished in the RDF? No Shows ineffective No reply.

And if they never show again how are all the items of kit the where given returned? Again ineffective No reply.

Is this your comrade's that steal from each other? In relation to theft. No Reply.

I could have missed some.

Also i read the Defence Act 1954 took a bit of time, but i think i got around most of it. Difficult to say, I mean there could and i and sure hundreds of documents leading of this.

I read it all also the section on reservist
    Are the RDF regarded as Members of the Defence Forces?
    I was reading CHAPTER IV Pay and Allowances of Members of the Defence Forces and just wondered.

but is it taxed? This was in relation to grat, I got no reply

All pay is taxed at the rate appropriate to the individual, the gratuity is not.

Because there would be uproar if it was disbanded. I'm no fan of the current Reserve and think there should be major changes but I do believe that the State should have, and needs, a military reserve.

If you do not fulfil your annual obligations you are placed on the non-effective list and must apply in writing in order to resume training. You can be discharged after spending two years non-effective. There have been hundreds of Reservists discharged in the last few years, a great thing to see as, before, they were allowed remain on the sub-units strength and generally bottled up promotions etc.
    And if they never show again how are all the items of kit the where given returned? Again ineffective No reply.

It is up to the sub-unit to retrieve issued kit, and I have seen it plenty of times myself.
    Is this your comrade's that steal from each other? In relation to theft. No Reply.

Sure, you get arseholes everywhere - that's why the PDF, not just RDF, use lockers for their kit. There's even a section in the Defence Act - Section 156.
    Also i read the Defence Act 1954 took a bit of time, but i think i got around most of it. Difficult to say, I mean there could and i and sure hundreds of documents leading of this.

Also worth reading is Admin Instruction R5 (New Series) which is available on the RDFRA website.

Yes, see Chapter 2, Section 18 of the Defence Act.
    I was reading CHAPTER IV Pay and Allowances of Members of the Defence Forces and just wondered.

Section 98, Sub-section 3 - Where a Reservist is called out on permanent service, sub-section (2) of this section shall apply in respect of him in like manner as it applies in respect of a man of the Permanent Defence Force.

Section 99 - Sub-section 2 - As above

Sections 100 to 102 mention only 'Defence Forces' which includes the RDF.

Because there would be uproar if it was disbanded. I'm no fan of the current Reserve and think there should be major changes but I do believe that the State should have, and needs, a military reserve.

IMO i would say the only uproar would come from the people involved in the RDF, Value for Money. To much money for to little return. IMO But it nice to see someone thinks there should be changes in it.

If you do not fulfil your annual obligations you are placed on the non-effective list and must apply in writing in order to resume training. You can be discharged after spending two years non-effective. There have been hundreds of Reservists discharged in the last few years, a great thing to see as, before, they were allowed remain on the sub-units strength and generally bottled up promotions etc.

Well i am glad to see they are removing them, as you say. So there not holding up positions.

It is up to the sub-unit to retrieve issued kit, and I have seen it plenty of times myself.

Tricky enough to do i would say.

Sure, you get arseholes everywhere - that's why the PDF, not just RDF, use lockers for their kit. There's even a section in the Defence Act - Section 156.

Nice to see they have 157 too, for loses.

Also worth reading is Admin Instruction R5 (New Series) which is available on the RDFRA website.

I will thanks for that info, If it's anything like the Defence Act (A war on words and twisted phrases) should be interesting.

Yes, see Chapter 2, Section 18 of the Defence Act.

Thanks see that now.

Section 98, Sub-section 3 - Where a Reservist is called out on permanent service, sub-section (2) of this section shall apply in respect of him in like manner as it applies in respect of a man of the Permanent Defence Force.

Section 99 - Sub-section 2 - As above

Sections 100 to 102 mention only 'Defence Forces' which includes the RDF.

(2) Where a reservist is called out on permanent service, subsection (1) of this section shall apply in respect of him in like manner as it applies in respect of a man of the Permanent Defence Force.

In there it's only if he is classed as a member of the Permanent Defence Forces.

Would these sections not be in effect until section 87 was in effect.

87.—(1) ( a ) The Government may, at any time during a period of emergency, by proclamation—

Looking at those Acts it looks like it would be very difficult to get any repayment or deduction from a reservists.

By the way thanks for the reply.

IMO i would say the only uproar would come from the people involved in the RDF, Value for Money. To much money for to little return. IMO But it nice to see someone thinks there should be changes in it.

I honestly think that if the RDF was disbanded completely local TD's would be swamped with letters and calls...a huge amount of people in this country have served in the RDF at some stage and while there is no pressure on the Government for improvements in the DF, let alone the Reserves, there would by a huge response if it was removed.

The VFM report should be complete by now, I'm quite looking forward to seeing it's conclusions and recommendations - the Goverment needs a kick up the arse when it comes to the RDF.

<snip>

Looking at those Acts it looks like it would be very difficult to get any repayment or deduction from a reservists.

Those sections deal with non-military deductions such as child support and maintenance payments. The main source of income for Reservists, while not called out on permanent service, is not from the DoD and so these sections are practically irrelevent to the RDF.

However, the previous section (97) outlines where deductions may be made from the pay of members of the DF (PDF and RDF). This includes forfeiture of pay for absence, desertion, fines, damages etc. Of particular relevance to this thread is Section 97, Subsection 2, B, (ii), (IV) - deductions of pay for public or service property lost, deficient, damaged or destroyed.

If a deduction is required from a Reservists pay, Reserve Payroll in Renmore are advised and the deduction is made from the next pay packet. If they choose not to train anymore I'm sure there is a mechanism through which the DoD can retrieve the money.

With regards to kit, if clothing or equipment is not returned on discharge, the DoD may pursue the matter through the civilian courts if the wish. This is permitted under Section 245 and is one of the few sections of the Defence Act which applies to civilian. The max fine is the Euro equivalent of IR£250 on top of the value of the article.

By the way thanks for the reply.

No problem at all, it's good to have a reason to rummage through the Defence Act every now and again!!

I honestly think that if the RDF was disbanded completely local TD's would be swamped with letters and calls...a huge amount of people in this country have served in the RDF at some stage and while there is no pressure on the Government for improvements in the DF, let alone the Reserves, there would by a huge response if it was removed.

The VFM report should be complete by now, I'm quite looking forward to seeing it's conclusions and recommendations - the Goverment needs a kick up the arse when it comes to the RDF.

Those sections deal with non-military deductions such as child support and maintenance payments. The main source of income for Reservists, while not called out on permanent service, is not from the DoD and so these sections are practically irrelevent to the RDF.

However, the previous section (97) outlines where deductions may be made from the pay of members of the DF (PDF and RDF). This includes forfeiture of pay for absence, desertion, fines, damages etc. Of particular relevance to this thread is Section 97, Subsection 2, B, (ii), (IV) - deductions of pay for public or service property lost, deficient, damaged or destroyed.

If a deduction is required from a Reservists pay, Reserve Payroll in Renmore are advised and the deduction is made from the next pay packet. If they choose not to train anymore I'm sure there is a mechanism through which the DoD can retrieve the money.

With regards to kit, if clothing or equipment is not returned on discharge, the DoD may pursue the matter through the civilian courts if the wish. This is permitted under Section 245 and is one of the few sections of the Defence Act which applies to civilian. The max fine is the Euro equivalent of IR£250 on top of the value of the article.

No problem at all, it's good to have a reason to rummage through the Defence Act every now and again!!

I would say your right about the TD's,

Anything not to upset TD's, 4.9 million reasons not to have RDF this year i would think. haven't heard too may reason why they should be kept going.
    But all just IMO of course.The VFM report, I would be interest to see that myself, maybe if the RDF get a revamp and are given a more active role. i might see there role in the country as a bit more productive.

I wonder if there has been any study on the amount of RDF taken into the PDF when there is General Service Enlistment.

I would say the amount of cases made in relation to Section 245, Is nil, (cost of such case)

Must poke in here more.

FOI request or a question to the Minister through your local TD should give you the figures of the numbers of RDF who join PDF. TBH, a search of oireachteas.ie could give the answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement