Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shorter Stem??

• 31-08-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Lo All,
    Recently while out on long rides(70-100K) I've been experiencing some neck and shoulder pain. I feel a little stretched out on the bike and feel that if the hoods were a little closer it may give me a more upright and comfortable riding position. I currently have a 110mm 6 degree up stem. Would a new stem be the right way to go or should I consider some other adjustments first? Saddle height seems to be grand however.
    Also I have noticed that the front wheel axle appears to be about 2" behind the bars when looking down while cycling on the hoods. I have heard before that it should appear inline or infront of the bars when looking down? Is this correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Are you sure the seat is the right height first before you buy a new stem. The higher the seat the longer the reach. When at the bottom of the stroke you should have a slight knee bend. Also check the offset of the saddle( how far back or forward).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you are not already doing so, try some stretching exercises so that you are more flexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

This bike fitting lark is a tricky business. I got a bike fit done and pretty much the opposite of what I expected happened. I had neck and shoulder pain as well as some upper back pain. Contrary to my expectations, the saddle went up and back and the bars went down - apparently I was too 'hunched'. It hasn't solved the issue altogether but it has improved things now I am getting used to it and I am working on my back strength and flexibility. There's also definitely more power in the new position.

So it's hard to know what set up changes you might require but a big +1 on the exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

This bike fitting lark is a tricky business. I got a bike fit done and pretty much the opposite of what I expected happened. I had neck and shoulder pain as well as some upper back pain. Contrary to my expectations, the saddle went up and back and the bars went down - apparently I was too 'hunched'.

I did my own bit of bike fitting and something similar happened me. I put my saddle down a small bit, put saddle back alot and went back to my 100mm stem (was using a 65mm one). I'm much more balanced on the bike now.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭enoonan

Thanks guys for all the advice. I will try a few different adjustments first before spending some euros.
    My saddle height is the only one I'm sure is correct as it was too low and I was getting terrible knee pain but thats sorted now. Might need to go back or forward a bit maybe.

Thanks again.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you are going to do adjustments, make only small changes and not too many at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭enoonan

Thanks Raam will remember that.

Advertisement