Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support the government or are you waiting to revolt?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 10:56pm

After todays news that Anglo Irish Bank needs a further bailout of 9 billion added with the extra cost of Nama and other failed Banks I wonder if people are close to revolution or just dont care?

Clearly Ireland has not turned a corner, and with unemployment expected to increase in tommorow`s figures for July how close are we to total colapse?

Ireland has huge debts that cant be repaid. We are bankrupt as a nation and it wont be long before the IMF step in and ut everything.

But does the normal public see this?

Are you angry?

Do you continue to support the government?

Are you ready for a revolution?

I ask these questions in this forum because I would like to judge normal people`s opinions instead of those who would normally haunt the politics forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

You're looking for normal people's opinions in AH?

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I ask these questions in this forum because I would like to judge normal people`s opinions instead of those who would normally haunt the politics forum.
    Not in AH you won't.

Edit: Beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If we could I'm sure any normal person would just arrest every banker and lock them all up and get a whole new set of executives in - of course can't do this because all the politicans and judges and bankers etc etc etc are friends so nothing bar a revolution will ever change anything...

unless the average person tries to hijack the next election by running and getting elected and getting the whole lot out somehow like that..

just a ****ing joke bailing out anglo - will someone just tell me why anglo couldn't be let fail? just why not - the average person didn't have anything to do with anglo - why couldn't we just open a government owned bank or something that would actually generate cash for us back - 25 billion out the window just like that - why is this ever gonna help us

why can't someone tell me this straight - i just can't understand why a private bank failing is the governments responsibility..

someone just tell me

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    If we could I'm sure any normal person would just arrest every banker and lock them all up and get a whole new set of executives in - of course can't do this because all the politicans and judges and bankers etc etc etc are friends so nothing bar a revolution will ever change anything...

unless the average person tries to hijack the next election by running and getting elected and getting the whole lot out somehow like that..

just a ****ing joke bailing out anglo - will someone just tell me why anglo couldn't be let fail? just why not - the average person didn't have anything to do with anglo - why couldn't we just open a government owned bank or something that would actually generate cash for us back - 25 billion out the window just like that - why is this ever gonna help us

why can't someone tell me this straight - i just can't understand why a private bank failing is the governments responsibility..

someone just tell me

Anglo will be allowed to fail once all of FF friends have gotten their money back.

At the moment we have rich friends of FF who have billions invested in Anglo.

FF are bailing out the bank so their friends can take their money out. Thats why regardless of how much cash the bank gets it still continues to loose money because friends of FF are withdrawing it from the other end.

Once they have gotten their cash, FF will let the bank fail and we the taxpayer get to pick up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

I will never trust ff or the greens for the rest of my life the only time john gormley is seen is when he is taxing us harder as for biffo where do we start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Yeah, the country's a complete mess, but really, why complain when you could be doing the Safety Dance?

*spelling with arms* S-A-F-E-T-Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Just waiting on the explosives and then I'm ready to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Are you revolting, OP?

King Felix wrote: »
    Are you revolting, OP?

When someone takes the lead I will happily join.

Or do you ask about my looks? Well of course Im stunning not revolting!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I cant wait for a march on the streets...
    I like Marches ...
    I also believe that everyone currently in Government Should be banned from government and a completely new cabinet shuld run this country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We mortals got pay cuts, some of us 100% cuts with losing our jobs, but the Government's friends in the Zombie bank get a Government approves pay rise..............:pac::pac::pac:
    It's so pathetic, it's kinda funny, wonder if the people in Newsweek would put our leader in it's top 10 leaders list if they actually researched the real story.:rolleyes:

galwayrush wrote: »
    We mortals got pay cuts, some of us 100% cuts with losing our jobs, but the Government's friends in the Zombie bank get a Government approves pay rise..............:pac::pac::pac:
    It's so pathetic, it's kinda funny, wonder if the people in Newsweek would put our leader in it's top 10 leaders list if they actually researched the real story.:rolleyes:

Dont forget that Brian Cowen is still one of the highest paid politicians in the world!

In the top 3 in Europe I believe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Anglo will be allowed to fail once all of FF friends have gotten their money back.

At the moment we have rich friends of FF who have billions invested in Anglo.

FF are bailing out the bank so their friends can take their money out. Thats why regardless of how much cash the bank gets it still continues to loose money because friends of FF are withdrawing it from the other end.

Once they have gotten their cash, FF will let the bank fail and we the taxpayer get to pick up the tab.

.....and the sad thing is, 30%+ of the gobsh!te voters in Ireland will still vote FF in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I don't support the government, but I also hate the many retards within this country who don't understand how an economy or politics work and think that the entire mess this country is in is the sole result of FF.

I'll probably be voting FG come 2012, not really sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Banker is such a ridiculous term

Includes everyone from Sean Fitzpatrick to the middle manager who takes professional banking exams to the lowly cashier who earns 22k per year and takes dogs abuse for what the executives do.

Dont forget that Brian Cowen is still one of the highest paid politicians in the world!

I imagine that really impresses our bankrolling Germans friends and the people in the I.M.F....:rolleyes:

Last week, they were boasting about being able to sell some short term bonds to raise a few quid to keep the country above water ( i.e. to pay some intrest off some of our other borrowings) Rumour has it that it was out own banks using tax payers bail out money that bought the bonds, FFS this is gone beyond a joke if that is true.

RMD wrote: »
    I don't support the government, but I also hate the many retards within this country who don't understand how an economy or politics work and think that the entire mess this country is in is the sole result of FF.

So who would you blame?

Its is FF faults, no one elses.

But dont worry, blowing Billions on a bankrupt bank that dosent even cater for joe public isnt FF fault,

Extending the summer holidays for all TD`s during a economic crisis isnt FF`s fault.

nope poor old FF, nothing to blame, move along we have turned a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Operative words: "Talkin' 'bout"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

So who would you blame?

Its is FF faults, no one elses.

Jesus, can someone please get this young man or woman some brains?

RMD wrote: »

Not solely FF's fault but........

....they should not have promoted the mad property speculation that has destroyed our banks (which granted has not been helped by the global financial meltdown).

FF gave tax breaks for property development (sec 23 etc) which meant Builders built masses of houses (taking out huge loans from the banks) which were then purchased by investors (mortgaging their own homes as collateral in some cases - more debt on the banks books) which then drove up the cost of houses - this meant people needed to be paid more to service jumbo mortagages (or get on the ladder) - this wiped out our competitiveness which had in effect created a very nice little export economy we'd started to build in the late 1990's.

Ahern used tax revenue generated from Housing sales to pay off the Social Partners (i.e. public sector) to win elections in 2002 and 2007

So the country based on FF 'economic' policy was building and investing in building (apart from proper infrastructure) - so much so that building and related trades were 25% of GDP!!! Madness!! For an industry that can't produce exported good? How long were we going to sell houses to each other?

Once the financial market went into meltdown the Irish banks suddenly found themselves unable to pay the billions of euros in loan debts that exist because of their investment in the property industry. Developers have found that land they purchased is now worth half of what they paid for it and have no chance in hell of paying back their loans to the banks who will need to be nationalised.

The problem is that thanks to 10 years of FF mismanagment and promotion of the property bubble we have nada to fall back on.....no export industries of considerable, crap infrastructure, no ubiquitous broadband or WiFi and crippling taxes such as PRSI and VAT that hinder small businesses from starting and running at profits and a complete reliance on FDI (80-90% of our exports are from foreign companies based here) .....not to mention electricty costs which are ridiculous....and because of our high costs the likes of Dell have gone...taking another 5% of GDP with them.

And we now have to find billions of euros to run the country because tax revenues from property (now a dead duck) are gone.

So yeah....I think FF policy is to blame for the state of the economy......

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

" The revolt will start mid to late Oct, When you see the same, full page, photo on the cover of every daily newspaper then that will be the begining.

It is currently under planning, totally peaceful, totally legal, hilarious and effective. The plan when executed, will warm the heart of every disgruntled person in the country and will embarass the Government no end. This will be the start.

I will need some help closer to the date so pm me if you are responsible, trustworthy, male, over 30. Do not include your name in any PM, only username. The photo on the front page of every paper and indeed international press will not identify anyone unless, like me, you wish to be identified.

I will reply to any PM's deemed eligable during the first week in Oct.

Ladies, I wish men only get in contact only as part of the plan. For stage two I will require females. Stage two will be in December.

Blackie."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Aaa... no - but I will point him in the direction of not one - but two banking reports that lay blame squarely on the shoulders of someone!

Will that do instead?

http://www.irishcentral.com/business/Cowen-blamed-for-Irish-banking-crisis-in-two-devastating-reports-95949824.html

To quote a poster on politics.ie (Tommy O'brien)
    TommyO'Brien View Post
    The reports are absolutely devastating.

Their key conclusion is a simple one - we are facing a home grown crisis. Yes there is an international dimension, but even without Lehman two Irish banks were entirely screwed. That is a vital fact. It blows out of the water the claim that "if only Lehman's hadn't happened, we would have been OK and have had a soft landing." The reports say absolutely not. Lehman's only brought forward a crisis we were going to face anyway. Anglo was a zombie bank. It was screwed already.

The key point is that all the internal parts to the crisis centre on one thing, the government, and one man, Brian Cowen.

The regulation system failed. It was established by the government, appointed by government, operated on rules set by government, and adopted a light touch regulation promoted by government.

The banks failed. The Government failed to ensure adequate independent analysis was being done, and in effect gave banks cart blanche to do what they wanted, with the government setting the legal structures (the lax legal structures) that banks in the Celtic Tiger were allowed to operate.

The taxation system made a crisis into a catastrophe. Brian Cowen designed the strategy that was followed by the government. He decided on the reliance on income from development. He decided to move large chunks of taxpayers out of the tax net, and bragged about it repeatedly in the Dáil. He left the state's fiscal status entirely reliant on a source of income that was transient and could disappear very quickly if development slowed down. Cowen decided to ramp up spending massively without ensuring there would be a constant income source to pay for it.

:confused:Why, didn't you notice the corruption and incompetence of FF over the last few years, their biggest crime was to ignore the warnings about the economy ovrheating, apparently it was suggested the doomsayers should commit suicide...:rolleyes:

:confused:Why, didn't you notice the corruption and incompetence of FF over the last few years, their biggest crime was to ignore the warnings about the economy ovrheating, apparently it was suggested the doomsayers should commit suicide...:rolleyes:

And I remember that clown Ahern calling guys like Morgan Kelly 'Financial Wizards', in the most disparaging tones, when told about their predictions (that proved to be right).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

:confused: Yeah Yeah I know! But the guy wrote that only FF and noone else is to blame for the mess of the country. Are you agreeing that no one outside of FF is to blame at all? Weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

:confused: Yeah Yeah I know! But the guy wrote that only FF and noone else is to blame for the mess of the country. Are you agreeing that no one outside of FF is to blame at all? Weird

The mess the country is in includes the SIZE of the mess that it's in, and that is 100% FF's fault.

Every country had a recession (some are on the way out of theirs).

FF ensured we were too exposed
    FF ensured that we made matters worse by bailing out Anglo
    FF ensured that our recession is lasting longer

So yes; FF are responsible for the mess the country is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

and the minimum wage in ireland is one of the highest in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The people who over spent ridiculous amounts of money play a huge factor in this blame game, anyone who disagrees is probably in major negative equity

Advertisement