Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question about taxing a bike

• 31-08-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I recently bought myself a Honda Bros 400. Me and the previous owner sent off the log book on Saturday for the change of ownership (I know it's going to take a week or three for it return) but I want to know if I need to have the log book in order to tax it for the year? The bike's last tax ran out in March and I want to know if I can head in on Thursday to the motor tax office to get her taxed for the following year without the log book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

you would need a logbook,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...(I know it's going to take a week or three for it return) .... get her taxed for the following year ...

In fairness, logbooks are coming back in something like a week at the moment.

You do know that if you've kept the bike off the road until today or later ( ;) ) you can get a stamp from the guards declaring off the road and you won't have to pay any arrears. Do you know you aren't liable for arrears for between March and now except for August when you had the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

cantdecide wrote: »
    In fairness, logbooks are coming back in something like a week at the moment.

You do know that if you've kept the bike off the road until today or later ( ;) ) you can get a stamp from the guards declaring off the road and you won't have to pay any arrears. Do you know you aren't liable for arrears for between March and now except for August when you had the bike?

IIRC you can no longer declare non use of the bike anymore. You'll have to pay from the month you took ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I've actually only just bought the bike and the previous owner hadn't maintained the tax since March so when I tax it, it'll be as soon as I can head into the tax office. I shouldn't have to pay tax for the time it was un-taxed by the previous owner, will I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

IIRC you can no longer declare non use of the bike anymore. You'll have to pay from the month you took ownership.

When did that rule come in? Is that the same for cars? I read a thread where someone was giving out about having to tax a car which is off the road for 6-9 mths of the year. So if I read you right I will have to pay road tax on a bike even if it is being restored for 2-3 yrs.......I thought you need insurance before you can get tax.....so how would you buy tax if the vehicle/bike is uninsured due to it being off road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...I shouldn't have to pay tax for the time it was un-taxed by the previous owner, will I?
    cantdecide wrote: »
    ...Do you know you aren't liable for arrears for between March and now except for August when you had the bike?

Have a nice day

I've been in contact with the motor taxation dept and they have e-mailed a form with non-use declaration for a motorbike, so, uncle bill, where are you getting your info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

If I remember correctly, the removal of the "non-use declaration" was a proposal mooted by the Local Authorities in a discussion document they recently released on possible new sources of income.

I'll try to find a link for ye and post it.

Edit: here ye go, see page 15. (pdf document)

http://www.environ.ie/en/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,23534,en.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Ring Shannon about it first, they would need to have the details of change of ownership changed on their system, if they have changed the records, you can go to your tax office because they will have it on their system too.
    No need for logbook. You will tax it dating from the date of change of ownership.

Thanks for that gipi, here's the paragraph which is pertinent to my question in that report:
    "
    Removal of Anomalies in Motor Tax System
    [FONT=Arial,Arial]The ability of drivers effectively to ‘self declare’ vehicles as not in use for motor tax purposes is open to abuse and should be curtailed. The Group also recommends that the cost of driving licences be increased, especially as the current charges are low compared to actual costs, compared to charges in neighbouring countries, and in comparison with other licence charges (for example for passports). "[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]As we can see it does not say vehicles off the road will have to be taxed, it just states that "self declare" should be curtailed. This , I suspect, means that a UK type SORN notice will have to be registered, and if one is not, you/me will have to pay the tax on the vehicle. Of course this means that the vehicle will have to be registered in your name, because if it is not, the previous registered keeper will be liable. So it will effectively put a stop to the many people who sell cars that are in their name but do not hand over the reg book due to loss/neglect. I expect that we will see it go one step further with another copy of the UK system........driving without valid car tax will mean your vehicle impounded/crushed, if the current and back tax is not paid.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Dont you just love those sweeping statements to "scare" people about certain subjects,........without any proof.[/FONT]

Addendum
    Forgot to add.........it seems like it is going to happen..........but in a years time.......as far as the report says

More in the report:
    Motor Tax
    The ‘off-the-road’ facility allowing car owners to self-declare vehicles as not in use should be removed, subject to exceptional and specified circumstances (short-term);

A handling fee of €10 should be introduced to reflect the cost of processing manual motor tax payments to reflect the additional costs involved and encourage take-up of the online motor tax service (short-term);
    The cost of a ten-year driving licence should be increased from €25 to €40, and the cost of a replacement licence from €15 to €30 (short-term);

• Advertisement
Advertisement