Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Sky really care, George? really George

Options
  • 31-08-2010 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am a Sky customer for 6 years, I have the full package + multi room. I have had no complaints and reckon Sky are the best.
    This evening i rang Sky - i want to upgrade to HD. I reckon my sky bill is high enough, Full package plus multi room. I want to reduce my bill by €15 so that will pull up for a HD sub. My Bill is €91, i don't want to pay €106.00, i think any person could see this as a valid point. This is not a lot to ask for, i reckon even sky would see my point. I was onto the HD woman in 1 second, she put me to Customer care and he put me onto cancelation. I was waiting 55 minutes in cancelation 6:50 pm to 7:45, and had to hang up (remember the HD woman answered in 1 second) - I rang back customer care told them I felt I was treated in a awful way.
    I really really feel Sky have treated me like a Blank!- I did not want to cancel my sky I just wanted to make a slight alter to my package by €15 ( which is very small in terms of my bill) in order to get HD and not pay €106. €91 is tooo much as it is.
    Sky have let this loyal customer down big time. I am going to make a YouTube video in the next day or two on my grief. I have a very very valid point. I will complain to as many people, websites or whatever it takes to get people to listen or take action. This is not service i got today from Sky. I don't know who to feel sorry for now, me or Sky. I am a sorry for writing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wasting your time making youtube videos etc. Ring them back and ask to be transferred to cancellations or a supervisor,explain what happened and you'l more than likely get a deal from them,I called to downgrade my package for the summer and got 20% off for 6 months-was on phone less than 10 mins.
    If all else fails email jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com that'l get a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Do not call at the time that you did. That is when they are at their busiest. I find first thing in the morning or at late in the evening is the best time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sky have just got more money off you by keeping you on hold for 55 minutes! Its not a cheap number to ring!!

Sky Subs are so so overpriced for what you get. The documentrys are repeats after repeats.

Ive said it many a time, with direct debits etc, people dont actually realise how much they are paying each month for Sky. There was a survey done somewhere and people actually thought that their Sky sub was only 300-400 a year! Imagine their shock when they found out it was 3-4times that!!!

Sky will only start caring when masses of people cancel, but it will never happen as at the moment the viewing education of people in this country is that the only way to get RTE, is by paying for it!!

Ive oftern wondered if the TV Licence would be invalid here as sky charge for the Irish channels and you cant get them FTA? Im sure something simular happened in the UK as thats one reason why the BBC stayed FTA and couldnt go FTV/Encypted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Zardoz

snaps wrote: »
    Sky Subs are so so overpriced for what you get. The documentrys are repeats after repeats.

Ive said it many a time, with direct debits etc, people dont actually realise how much they are paying each month for Sky. There was a survey done somewhere and people actually thought that their Sky sub was only 300-400 a year! Imagine their shock when they found out it was 3-4times that!!!
    Yes ,very true,Direct debits are very deceiving.If you actually had to hand over the exhorbitant amounts Sky charge in cash every month ,over 100 euro in some cases ,I think people would think differently.

If you actually sat down to consider where does the money go.
    The vast majority of popular channels are fta, BBC's,ITV's,Ch4,E4,More 4,Five,Film 4.
    The vast majority of news channels are free and there are more than enough free music channels considering they all seem to play the same music nowadays and MTV1 is a joke.
    You can get RTE1,RTE2,and TG4 in digital easily enough.
    So what are we paying all the money for ?
    A few documentary channels ,a few entertainment channels mostly showing repeats and vast amounts of reality tv.
    Then we have the Sports channels which are the main carrot for the customer and Sky use this to extract copious amounts of money from people.
    Its too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Most of what Sky provide for a subscription can be easily got for free elsewhere - if all you want is the Irish channels and the UK Freesat channels get a combo box that allows recording and provided you live in an area that has Irish DTT you can have Sky+ functionality for nothing. The only thing you'll miss out is TV3 and frankly UTV is a superior replacement.

It's only those of us who don't live in an Irish DTT area who need Sky right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Ive oftern wondered if the TV Licence would be invalid here as sky charge for the Irish channels and you cant get them FTA? Im sure something simular happened in the UK as thats one reason why the BBC stayed FTA and couldnt go FTV/Encypted?

You have to remember that, unlike most countries, our government doesn't see its role as supporting or defending citizens' rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm managing grand with all four Irish channels in Perfect Analogue :) and 16 outlet 4 x satellite Distribution plus 110cm motorised dish. No Sky or UPC sub.

I have had briefly UPC MMDS for test purposes (legally!) and Sky sub off and on since 1998. Not likely to be on again.

I have tested DTT here on Neotion cam, Lyngbox and Reelbox (not just idle curiosity but work!) and did have a PCI card briefly till it died. I may get a PCI card or USB stick for Radio but I'll wait till Saorsat starts before I decide if I'm buying a Saorview certified PVR and dumb boxes or a suitable HD Satellite box or two (probably it needs to support all the Saorview features, some of which are optional on Freesat HD). I have 2 x HD DVB-S2 PCI cards in PCs.

There is no rush. If I wait till after Full Public Launch and Saorsat, I'd be sure there is about 18 months left of Analogue TV. I have a spare new 80cm dish and long curved bar to test 28.2 + 9E dual feed and a spare 44cm "Flat" boxed Cassegrain dish. Just need a pair of Ka LNBFs and Launch of Kasat + test signal :)

We once had 5 TVs but down to 3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No. As unlike UK, there was never a link between Reception and Licence. Originally in UK if you proved you didn't watch UK TV (i.e. a Dish for Elbonia TV) you didn't need a TV licence. I think they have revised it.

Here we invented the TV licence before Irish TV existed (1960, discussed in mid 1950s, RTE TV started 31st Dec 1961). There never has been any requirement to receive Irish TV. The Onus is purely on the Broadcasters to provide coverage, and previously not much onus. Now with BAI and new broadcasting act for Digital, RTENL has to do Saorsat as they can't meet requirements economically Terrestrially. But it still puts no Onus on Government to provide anything and you still have to pay TV licence even if you only have a dish for UK Freesat. Or even just for Elbonia.

The reason for Freesat is not primarily to do with licence, but again the requirement of BBC and others to have Universal Coverage. Apparently 99.9% (even if achievable) isn't good enough. It might be 99% after ASO/DSO. The FTV card scheme was only ever an interim arrangement (All the BBC were Encrypted). The BBC Charter, C4 PSB remit and ITV and Five commercial licences are all separate issues and rules from the TV licence rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

Sky love new customers, dont care about existing ones, and as stated above you never see an invoice from them.
    I left Sky in June cancelled my direct debit as I had paid one month in advance, next came letters from Sky claiming I owed them €51.50, one months subscription, next was threats of debt collectors, I wrote to them threatening them with solicitors if they continued this course of action.
    A week later I received the same letter 3 days running from Sky saying the debt had been cleared, no apology.
    The next week I received a letter from a debt collection agency wanting the €51.50, I rang them & explained the situation.
    Since last Friday I have been receiving calls from Sky in Cork (0212353600) approx 3 times a day wanting me to re-subscribe, each time I put them on hold untill they hang up.
    So if you join Sky,

1.keep a record of all payments made.
    2.do not be bullied into paying what you do not owe.
    3.always remember Mr Hooks opinions are paid ones.

rlogue wrote: »
    The only thing you'll miss out is TV3 and frankly UTV is a superior replacement.

Why not go further and watch some of those programmes on ITV HD. TV3 really has nothing that makes them uniquely attractive for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Why not go further and watch some of those programmes on ITV HD. TV3 really has nothing that makes them uniquely attractive for most people.

Believe it or not you'd be amazed at the amount of people that believe you need RTE and TV3 for the soaps forgetting of course bar Fair City they're all English or Australian. Have heard this plenty of times-great trying to explain to people that ITV show Corrie and Emmerdale(TV3 get em from there) and BBC have the misery fest that is Eastenders.
    Regarding Sky-Disney is indespensible (saves a fortune on dvd's) and I get my money worth from the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

If I could record RTE like I do with Sky I would dump them, but I don't think there's anything out there that would do that for me, I don't want an external hard drive, I want am internal one like Sky plus.

200motels wrote: »
    If I could record RTE like I do with Sky I would dump them, but I don't think there's anything out there that would do that for me, I don't want an external hard drive, I want am internal one like Sky plus.

Get a PS3 and play TV, as long as you can get Irish DTT you can record away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Media Centre PC with Win 7 Media centre. Full official EPG for DTT and UK Sat. Can have up to 4 Tuners (2 DTT, 2 Sat). Can watch 1 and record three more channels at once. Can be built for 500-600 Eur with the right shopping around.

There are other options too if you are willing to do the research and cost isnt a huge factor.

Whats wrong with an external hard drive?? You can have it hidden behind the reciever? Oh well, your look out. Ive Mvision 300HD which i use for DTT/UKFTA, doesnt cost me a copper coin each month and i am able to record UKFTA and Irish DTT with no problems. I then have a Edision 2in1 which i now use as a motorised reciever and a 2nd receiver to watch stuff while the Mvision is recording. Upstairs in main bedroom i have my old TM6900 with an harddrive attached for extra recording/viewing from both my motorised dish and fixed UK FTA dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Upstairs in main bedroom i have my old TM6900 with an harddrive attached for extra recording/viewing from both my motorised dish and fixed UK FTA dish.
    Just curious as to how you switch between the motorised feed and the fixed dish as the TM6900 only has a single satellite tuner ?
    I'd like to have the option on my motorised dish and fixed dish in my bedroom too.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Just curious as to how you switch between the motorised feed and the fixed dish as the TM6900 only has a single satellite tuner ?
    I'd like to have the option on my motorised dish and fixed dish in my bedroom too.

You can either use a diseqc switch (Motor on 1, fixed on 2) or a very cheap manual A/B switch (5€), On the TM upstairs i use a manual switch, 1 feed going to a priority switch before a diseqc switch, which then switches to motor (1), Astra 2 fixed dish (2), Hispasat 30 west (3), Spare on 4 at the moment. Then into the 2nd feed for the manual A/B swich a clean feed from my octo output lnb on the fixed Astra 2 dish.

The edision doesnt need a manual switch as its able to set up each satellite individually, I.e:

Astra 2-Diseqc switch 2, Usals off
    Hispasat-Diseqc switch 3, Usals off
    All other satellites are set to diseqc switch 1, Usals on.If you dont have the diseqc switched to 1 for the other satellites ive found the diseqc switch will stayed switched to either 2 or 3 (Last you were watching).

So basically my motor is shared via a priority switch between downstairs and upstairs.

126344.jpeg

126348.JPG

Grey dish obviously the 1.1m motorised, White dish 75cm 28.2east, mesh is Hispasat which seats nicely on the 28.2east bracket (Had to break open the LNB casing so i could skew it for the westerly satellites, as those sky dishes only have an easterly skew adjustment on them)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Well that went off topic fast but FAO the OP, Ring the Sky Cork line and ask for cancellations you will get a good deal off them tell them you are planning going with UPC HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

I am a Sky customer for 6 years, I have the full package + multi room. I have had no complaints and reckon Sky are the best.
    This evening i rang Sky - i want to upgrade to HD. I reckon my sky bill is high enough, Full package plus multi room. I want to reduce my bill by €15 so that will pull up for a HD sub. My Bill is €91, i don't want to pay €106.00, i think any person could see this as a valid point. This is not a lot to ask for, i reckon even sky would see my point. I was onto the HD woman in 1 second, she put me to Customer care and he put me onto cancelation. I was waiting 55 minutes in cancelation 6:50 pm to 7:45, and had to hang up (remember the HD woman answered in 1 second) - I rang back customer care told them I felt I was treated in a awful way.
    I really really feel Sky have treated me like a Blank!- I did not want to cancel my sky I just wanted to make a slight alter to my package by €15 ( which is very small in terms of my bill) in order to get HD and not pay €106. €91 is tooo much as it is.
    Sky have let this loyal customer down big time. I am going to make a YouTube video in the next day or two on my grief. I have a very very valid point. I will complain to as many people, websites or whatever it takes to get people to listen or take action. This is not service i got today from Sky. I don't know who to feel sorry for now, me or Sky. I am a sorry for writing this.

You should go on George Hook's show on Newstalk to complain about it.:) You're wasting your time doing up a video as a previous poster already pointed out

yeah sorry lads for going off topic, just trying to answer a question that was asked. I may well start up another thread on foreign satellites and delete this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

AstralTV wrote: »
    Since last Friday I have been receiving calls from Sky in Cork (0212353600) approx 3 times a day wanting me to re-subscribe, each time I put them on hold untill they hang up.

So THATS who has been calling me!

I had a couple of missed calls from that number a week ago, tried calling it back but the line just goes dead, no automated system no nothing, which made me very dubious about that number so have been ignoring it since.

But if it is sky trying to sell me stuff, I might answer next time and tell 'em where to go.

Haven't been a sky customer in about 18 months and been quite happy since leaving.

who needs them anyway, repeats, reality shows, Andy Gray spoiling the soccer etc, and they charge for it, dish a few LNBs an aerial, internet connection & your free.

AstralTV wrote: »
    who needs them anyway, repeats, reality shows, Andy Gray spoiling the soccer etc, and they charge for it, dish a few LNBs an aerial, internet connection & your free.

It is amazing how Sky relegate the start of Sundays La Liga coverage to the red button so that toss pot can give his final word on the weekends football. Absolute wanker.

It is amazing how Sky relegate the start of Sundays La Liga coverage to the red button so that toss pot can give his final word on the weekends football. Absolute wanker.

he wasnt exactly a footballing great either, plus his biased commentary makes me sick and angry,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its ludicrous .
    They didnt even show last Monday nights La Liga match on tv ,it was only on their website.
    As if they had anything better to show on a Monday night.Pathetic .

I saw that in the schedules and wondered why would they even bother. They badly need a Sky Sports 5 and maybe even 6 if they are resorting to website only coverage of some games. I am very glad for my Al Jazeera subscription where La Liga is concerned. Lots of games with English commentary. And all for €135 for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I saw that in the schedules and wondered why would they even bother. They badly need a Sky Sports 5 and maybe even 6 if they are resorting to website only coverage of some games. I am very glad for my Al Jazeera subscription where La Liga is concerned. Lots of games with English commentary. And all for €135 for the year

They have plenty of capacity as it is,they were showing some yachting and fishing crap on 2 channels when they could have been showing La Liga.
    Al Jazeera is the job allright ,great value.

I would love to say if only Sky UK took a leaf out of Sky Italias books.......But then could you imagine the cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kellyalecconor

Sky rang me back the next day and sorted the thing out for me. I canceled my muliti room and the HD €15 will replace that.
    I Got no deal, i don't care to be honest, What i wanted to do was simple, it's a pity you can't just ring the one person to sort everything instead of different numbers. But my opinion on sky is very very low now. Anyone ever ask me about sky i will give a very very honest answer to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

"Sky care about your problem", yea right until you ring them up and they try to charge you €108 for the pleasure. I can not stand that man when he comes on, nothing but lies & propaganda.

Advertisement