Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 8, safe?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hey,

To give a background of my situation. I live and work in Sandyford but as my girlfriend is moving to the north for college I need to move. I want to move to town because I have a good few friends there and I like the idea of it being a bit more active than it is where I am now.

So...I'm thinking of renting in Dublin 8 (St.James Hospital/Heuston Station area) as this would mean I'd have a short cycle/walk/luas ride to the city centre (free bus to work on D'Olier St) and a short drive to work when I need to drive for training etc, on the N4 and M50. Plus its really good value there!

The only issue is everyone is putting doubts in my head about the area. Saying things like its cheap for a reason and its not safe etc. Can people who live or have lived in the area let me know what its like? Personally I think it'll be fine, I know its a rough area but I'll be keeping to myself and as long as I have somewhere to park the car it'll be fine. What do you guys think!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CluelessWiFi

There are rough parts in every single part of Dublin, so I'd take anything anyone says with a pinch of salt. The Kilmainham area is really nice (there's a complex up beside the Hilton/across from the Gaol) that's especially nice, it's about 10 mins walk from the Suir Road Luas, too, close to IMMA, the Phoenix Park and some really nice pubs. There's another apartment block down beside Heuston Station that's lovely. (Heuston Square?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

its rough

dosent mean its dangerous
    how streetwise are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Thanks Wifi, Kilmanhim is where I'm looking. I think it'll suit me.

Tigger, I don't know to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Dublin 8 goes down nearly to Parliament street so there are good parts and bad. I live in Dublin 8, in the far end of Temple Bar and I've never had any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I live down close enough to James Hosp, and often walk from Heuston down James St and through Pimlico at like 1am on weekends and never have had any trouble. During the day there might be some unattractives about, but generally if you ignore them they ignore you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Lived in Mount Brown right beside James Hospital for nearly 2 years. Found it a fine place to live, handy for walking/cycling to town and right beside the LUAS too.

In all that time I only ever encountered trouble once and I think that was just bad luck on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

live on SCR past the back of James Hospital and love it - its a really great area. I would avoid James Street though as possibly a bit dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I live in Dublin 8. Some areas are fantastic, some are dodgy. Where I live is brilliant, close to town, a great local butcher, lovely quiet settled road. But there are places nearby that are pretty rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

What mags said - I live between clanbrassal st and cork st and love it, would not live anywhere else tbh

But there are some dodgy areas [as a previous poster said, as there are with all places]

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ninjated

Howdy,
    There is one single indicator as to the general feel for an area and that is " Dog ****e" ,
    If the pavements are are strewn with faecal matter,I presume animal, it would be an indication that the owners of these animals have no regard for others. They have no regard for the law. They have no regard for property.
    Therefore, the area should be regarded as; rough, dangerous and filthy.
    So if you intend to move into a particular area take a walk. If you have to play 'dodge the dog ****e' think twice.
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I'm setting my sights on D8 when I move in five months time. Doesn't faze me at all. I used to live right beside Mountjoy, so I've seen it all, believe me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rener

I'm looking in this area too. I'm suprised with the amount of drug-abuse openly seen in Dublin. It reminds me of Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

I live in Islandbridge, and its grand. Not completely noise free but ive not had any problems in 2 years here, and gf is here 4 without issues. We plan to stay here for another year at least. Lots of good value apartments. I previously lived off thomas st by Guinness, and while I loved being close to the city centre, I'd have been more wary walking home at night.

All that said, I still go mad if she walks home here in the dark, but would be the same in any part of any big town or city.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Please don't resurrect zombie threads.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement