Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reply from done deal

Options
  • 31-08-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

this is the reply i got from done deal
    in reference to a query on the sales of firearm accessories etc
    a lad on here had an ad taken down of the site a scope
    Hi Enda,
    Thanks for getting back to us. Sorry for the delay in my reply.
    It is due to emails expressing concerns from our user's that we decided to restrict guns and related goods. We have included this in our Terms & Conditions which I have included for you to review here:
    http://help.donedeal.ie/info/firearms-policy
    We do have certain terms and conditions against the use of certain text in Dog Ads, this again was put in place due to emails from our users expressing concerns that certain text implied the killing of other animals. I have included our Dog Policy here for you to review:
    http://help.donedeal.ie/info/dog-policy
    With regard the gun cabinets, it is our policy that you cannot have a picture of the gun cabinet with a gun in it, so there are certain terms & conditions to cover each area.
    We are trying to address the concerns of our users with out restricting all items from our site.
    I hope you understand our position on this and that this has answered your questions.
    All the best
    Melrona
    http://donedeal.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Just ask Melrona how many emails they got anti gun and we will better that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

its a privately owned website, they are entitled to their policies. I have used them on several occasions and get plenty of responces to ads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

They were absolutely snowed under in relation to the dog adds, from possibly ICABS. I e mailed them and asked them to clarify there position.

Hi
    just a quick enquiry, I am considering using your website for selling pups
    from my working springer spaniel. The dog is a working gun dog, to save
    embarrassement is this allowed now under your new policies

Response:

You can advertise your springer spaniel pups on our site. However, we have received a number of complaints from our users about ads on our site implying that the dogs could be used for killing other animals. Many of our users feel that this type of activity can be cruel to the prey, the dog, or both. Therefore we have decided not to allow any reference to this in the texts of the ads on our site in line with our terms & conditions:

In saying that at the time they had no problem advertising gun dog breeds such as springer pups with working pedegree etc, but where getting adds such as

"Terrier for sale blooded on fox and good diggers dog"

Now, not wanting to throw blame out but, there is an old saying "think before you ink"

As for the firearms, thats there choice, I also noticed that rubber fetish suits and the likes arent available:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

As for the firearms, thats there choice, I also noticed that rubber fetish suits and the likes arent available:(

A friend (yes... hmmmm... mention anybody but me) tells me ebay is good for that sort of gear .... :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say it would be hot workdigging a fox out in this weather in a black Gimp suit.:D
    A day on the bog would be nothing compared to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would say it would be hot workdigging a fox out in this weather in a black Gimp suit.:D
    A day on the bog would be nothing compared to that.

Well, it feels wrong thinking about deer stalking this evening when every one is baling hay :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

And yet you can advertise a potatoe peeler...

when everyone knows that its used to MURDER the poor inocent spud!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yup,They are at it again!:rolleyes:
    www.banbloodsports.com

Join our appeal against ads for blood sport dogs
    02 September 2010

Back in March, we thanked Wexford-based classified ads website Donedeal for updating its dogs policy and promising to prevent ads for blood sports dogs from appearing on its website. Sadly, ads for dogs used in hunting, baiting, digging-out and terrierwork have continued to be displayed on the website.
    Their policy clearly states that "we do not accept ads that imply that the dog could/should be used for...killing prey" and "we do not accept ads that mention or imply digging" and "we do not allow ads that mention lamping".
    However, adverts for such dogs continue to be displayed on the website on an ongoing basis. Among the dogs listed as "Sold" on the website this month were
    • A Patterdale dog that "will make a very good hunter"
    • A working terrier that is "great in hard cover & ditches - goes through like train"
    • A patterdale that is "just starting to work"
    • A working Patterdale terrier which "will do a black and white and will do red lads" (badgers and foxes)
    ACTION ALERT
    Please join us in urging Donedeal to act to deny those involved in blood sports the opportunity to use its website as a platform for selling dogs used in attacking and killing wildlife. Ask Donedeal to introduce a screening process for dog adverts to prevent ads from being displayed if they contravene the company's policy or refer to illegal activities.
    Donedeal
    Unit B, Tuskar House,
    Johns Gate Street, Wexford
    Email: [EMAIL="hello@donedeal.ie?bcc=info@banbloodsports.com&subject=Please stop displaying ads for dogs used in cruel blood sports&body=Dear Sir/Madam%0A%0AI am writing to appeal to you to please act urgently to prevent the display on the Donedeal website of adverts for dogs used in cruel blood sports.%0A%0AYour policy states that you do not accept ads that imply that the advertised dogs could be used for killing prey. However, such ads continue to appear on your website on an ongoing basis.%0A%0AYou have stated that when these ads are reported, you take action. This does not solve the problem - when and if the ad is reported, it may have been viewed hundreds of times and a sale secured.%0A%0APlease act now to stop those involved in blood sports from using your site as a platform for selling dogs used in cruelly attacking and killing Irish wildlife. Please filter out ads that contravene your policy BEFORE they are displayed on your site.%0A%0AThank you.%0A%0AYours sincerely,%0A%0A[Name/Location]"]hello@donedeal.ie[/EMAIL]
    For more information on our campaign against terrierwork, click on Campaigns at www.banbloodsports.com
    PREVIOUSLY
    Donedeal drops ads for dogs used in blood sports
    19 March 2010
    Irish classified ads website, Donedeal.ie, has responded positively to an Irish Council Against Blood Sports appeal in which we called for a rejection of ads for dogs used in hunting, baiting, digging-out and terrierwork. A big thumbs up to the Wexford-based company for updating its dog policy and beginning the process of permanently removing such ads.
    When ICABS originally contacted DoneDeal about a number of dog adverts on their website, we were assured that "all of us at DoneDeal are big animal lovers" who didn't want their site to be used by those involved in cruelty.
    As part of our appeal, we highlighted videos which explicitly show the cruelty involved in hunting and related activities such as the digging out of foxes and the use of terriers to trap animals underground and viciously attack them.
    Donedeal's updated dog policy now includes the paragraph: "No Killing or Digging: We do not like the idea of dogs killing prey (e.g. foxes, badgers, deer, etc), as it can be a cruel experience for the prey, or the dog, or both. Therefore we do not accept ads that imply that the dog could/should be used for such activity. Also, we do not accept ads that mention or imply 'digging'." You can read the policy in full at http://help.donedeal.ie/info/dog-policy
    "We're absolutely delighted with the stand DoneDeal has taken on this cruelty issue," responded ICABS spokesperson Aideen Yourell. "We will now be stepping up our campaign to try and get legislation introduced in Ireland to ban this barbarism."
    Dog adverts reported to Donedeal
    Below is a selection of the adverts reported to Donedeal.
    • "Fell X Patterdale pups.Top working parents overground and underground. Previous litters proven. Docked and declawed"
    • "Patterdale/Fell out of working stock...mother got killed in a six hour dig. This pup will make serious dog in the right hands"
    • "Terriermans supplies. Shovels, spades and grafts. Digging bars, fox nets, rabbit nets"
    • "Fox Hounds...Starting to work"
    • "Patterdale. Mother great worker [with] marks to prove it"
    • "Patterdale terrier - will make top class digging terrier...100% guaranteed working."
    • "Patterdale wanted - will swap for terrier for fox" [i.e. for using to attack foxes]
    • "One foxhound and one beagle...both starting to work and giving tongue"
    • "Lurcher - working all game, excellent fox dog"
    • "Black Patterdale/Fell Terrier pup...from sound working parents, used on fox and mink in cover and underground"
    • "Patterdale - has been used at stop end of digs and will dispatch fox and tackle brock...will hunt anything"
    • "Wanted patterdale bitch...i am a genuine hunting man"
    • "Patterdale dog...working cover and go to ground. Will make very good dog in rite hands...Fox terrier X spaniel dog - giving tongue and hunting cover strong."
    • "Dog for sale - selling due to size - too big for fox - seen nothing except for a few mink."
    • "Patterdale terrier x jack russel terrier pups - great breed for hunting."
    • "Patterdale dog. Fox dog. 100% any trial given."
    • "Lurcher - parents both good workers"
    • "Young ferrets - bred from good working stock - fed on rabbits"
    • "Lurcher dog. Mother: wheaten hound x collie hound, excellent fox bitch. Father; big coursing greyhound."
    • "Coursing bitch for sale, suitable for breeding lurchers"
    • "Whippets. IKC Registered. Both Parents working daytime and night time"
    • "Hunting dogs - both parents barking on foxes and rabbits"
    About terrierwork and digging out Despite the cruelty involved, fox baiting remains legal in this country. It is carried out by what can only be described as thugs and sadists who dig animals out with spades and take pleasure in seeing their dogs inflicting the most savage injuries on them. Digging out and terrierwork is also an integral part of foxhunting in Ireland.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Thanx enda but its a long time I was called a lad.;)
    After the reply they sent you I had a few questions of my own so I asked melrona the nature of their users concerns. Seems that the main issue is that DoneDeal is a family site & mammy & daddy are worried bout little johnny & mary having access to it. & everything advertised on it. So the kiddies can access all the filth on the net just so long as they don't see any gun equipment on their site.
    Yet more ill informed do-gooders with their one size fits all attitude. & now another petition to ban the sale of working dogs. Where will it end???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Meh. It's just one site. And it's their right to run it as they see fit, they pay the bills at the end of the day.
    Meanwhile, other sites cater for other needs. So it's no big loss at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Sparks wrote: »
    Meh. It's just one site. And it's their right to run it as they see fit, they pay the bills at the end of the day.
    Meanwhile, other sites cater for other needs. So it's no big loss at the end of the day.

true enough
    but its the fact that the antis can pull this off
    how many off them is there?
    surely they are well outnumbered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

endasmail wrote: »
    true enough
    but its the fact that the antis can pull this off
    how many off them is there?
    surely they are well outnumbered
    It really depends on the site. If they lose a lot of business either way, they have to make a decision. Apparently that decision is not to run the ads. If they lost a lot of revenue by not running them, then they would have to revise that decision.

As Sparks says, there are plenty of alternatives.

Advertisement