Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to ban eggs from 'conventional cages' from 2012

Options
  • 31-08-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

EU to ban eggs from 'conventional cages'
    Tuesday, 31 August 2010 17:46
    The EU is to ban caged eggs from the market from January 2012.

Ireland East MEP Mairead McGuinness has said that despite warnings 30% of hens will still be in conventional cages by the deadline.

Ms McGuinness has said that assistance is being provided to producers to help them to convert to more welfare friendly systems.

AdvertisementAll egg producers in the EU will have to comply with tough animal welfare standards.

It is recommended that egg producers move away from the conventional caged eggs system to enriched cages, barn, or free range systems.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0831/eggs.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Wooohoooo!Cant come quick enough.Great news :p

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

They read my mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Does this mean no more battery cages!??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

At long last. I refuse to eat any egg that came from a confined bird.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

This is great I love th EU:p Although tghey have known about this for years,theres should be no reason for 30% to still be in cages by then,but def progress :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

That's great, I always buy Organic not just because they taste better but because of the awful conditions battery chickens are kept in.
    Hopefully in the next few years I will have my own hens who will bless me with a few eggs in the morning but still good to hear about the ban!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's great, :) but there's still loads more progress to be made, even if they're not in battery cages, doesn't mean they have good lives neccessarily . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

It's a good start at least. I'm lucky cos my mother in law has hens who live the life of reilly poking round the farm all day and in their comfy coup at night, so I get all my eggs from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thank god for that
    it was cruelty
    money was the object

i have only ever bought eggs from known supplier close to me as i see how the hens are treated, out there in the field by day, and you know it in the egg

because of the cageing i never bout bought any other
    if others had done same we would have been rid of these cages long time ago, i would rather have no egg than a caged hens egg

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Great news OK - but what about caged chicken meat? Is that going to be banned too? If everyone is suddenly going to have to buy free range chickens after being used to buying a chicken for 3.99 or whatever they cost (only buy free range myself!) there will be uproar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

[devils advocate]
    won't this have a huge impact on egg prices and hence many food prices? How much space will a producer lose with this, only 7 for every ten hens there was, or similar?
    [/devils advocate]

I agree with it by the way, just looking at the other side. Tha program on channel 4 with Hugh Fernely whatsit showed it quite well IMO, they were eaten chickens though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bump.

seem not many people care about chickens, I thought this would have gotten more attention tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I agree with it by the way, just looking at the other side. Tha program on channel 4 with Hugh Fernely whatsit showed it quite well IMO, they were eaten chickens though

That show was really good. I know loads of people who watched it and were really shocked . . . they still wouldn't buy free range though.

Advertisement