Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Stop n Chat

• 01-09-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭

The ever confusing scenario...the STOP n CHAT!What do you do?

The most recent was a few weeks ago and i couldnt for the life of me remember her name. A friend of a friend i met at a hen party 3 mths ago.She hugged...HUGGED me (i dont even hug my sister unless it involves 5 jaeger bombs) and i couldnt even introduce her to the other 2 people i was with, because i only remembered who she was half an hour later.:o

A quick wave and a "Howya..hows things?" wouldve did me but no, we had to stand for 5 painful minutes pretending to give a feck about what we've been up to, all the while i was goin "how do i know her,christ whats her name?"

Gotta love Larry..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sorry, what's your name again? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Pretty good thread. Pretttty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

it'd take 5 jaegerbombs for me to hug your sister too. that or hypnotism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Oh christ i hate that, especially in a restaurant when your stuck at the table.

I just say i have to go i have awful diarrhea - shuts them up long enough to get away safely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

anniehoo wrote: »
    (i dont even hug my sister unless it involves 5 jaeger bombs)

I'll hug yor sistor, an' i' wont take foyve Jaegerbomb oidor, wha?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I get this a lot - it's got to the stage where I actually greet strangers incredibly enthusiastically and say "long time no see" even if they're just randomers looking for a directions, because it's a safer bet than being caught out with a blank look on my face, and by and large it IS someone I may have chatted to after a gig or whatever. Strangers just think I'm incredibly friendly, which is better than people I don't quite recall thinking I'm a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Or when you pass someone you know, but not all that well, on the street, you make eye contact, nod the head, say "hey!", but the both of you are unsure whether to stop n' chat.
    So you stop, but the other person is still walking, so you start again, but then they stop, then start again, all the while you are smiling, and dying a little inside :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I get it most days, especially weekends.
    Usually brush it off. Its often people trying to get to know me so they can get in to the club free. Girls do it the whole time.
    Sometimes I straight out say I don't remember them, really depends on the mood.
    As for hugging, that is something we do here more than back home.
    I great all girls with a hug and cheek to cheek kiss if I've met them a few times. If its the first time, then its a hand shake or a kiss if the girl moves in. Usually older woman move in for a kiss on the cheek.
    Most guys get a hand shake or the manly half hug and handshake combo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The worst is when it's borderline but you manage to grind through it, but then you reencounter them again, like on the next aisle in the supermarket :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Cianos wrote: »
    The worst is when it's borderline but you manage to grind through it, but then you reencounter them again, like on the next aisle in the supermarket :(

just do the nod, smile, quick joke and move on. Then check every aisle after that to make sure its clear :)

Its easy to get out of though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Sorry, what's your name again? :P

Thanks Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have a relative that is difficult for this kind of thing, she doesn't make the farewell break contact gesture and tone all to easy. I am there trying to wrap up the convo quickly so we can get back to whatever we were doing and her body language and facial expression is still engaged. It's quite awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Smile, say "alright, how are things?" but the key is to keep walking, never stop, ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭stbrennan

At least you remembered shes your sister...

The look on your face if you woke up beside her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Unless the person literally stops me to talk, like walks into my path then I will stop to chat but if its someone who is walking and we notice each other at the same time, I dont give the person enough time to stop because I have already said hi, followed by some witty comment, i chuckle to myself to reassure the person that I have engaged in some type of communication, they chuckle and we're already past eye contact and on our busy way :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think I remember hearing the Spanish had a geat solution for this. Just say "adios" and wave when you cross paths with someone to indicate that you have acknowledged their presence but do not wish to spend time on frivolous small talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I'm hoping someone does the post that seems to be from the other person's perspective...

"So, I met this girl at a hen a few months back. We got on great. met her the other day... rude bitch... no hug..."

That'll be brilliant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm hoping someone does the post that seems to be from the other person's perspective...

"So, I met this girl at a hen a few months back. We got on great. met her the other day... rude bitch... no hug..."

That'll be brilliant.

You can do it if you want! Go on, you know you want to! You'll feel better afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

If I'm with a group and this happens my friend know to introduce themselves really quickly if I'm struggling with their name. Then I jump in and say **** sorry for being so rude I shouldve introduced you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I think I remember hearing the Spanish had a geat solution for this. Just say "adios" and wave when you cross paths with someone to indicate that you have acknowledged their presence but do not wish to spend time on frivolous small talk.

Yes, I encountered this in Catalonia ("Adeú") and was astounded at the practicality of it. A custom that has no parallel in the Anglosajón world of manners sadly. If you say "Hola" instead, this is a clear request that you want to stop and chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭panda_cub

I guess the only way around it is to have a big enthusiastic "hi howareya?!" for them, while walking quickly, so they know you can't stop but you were also happy to see them!

That said, I almost NEVER do that in practice, I'm so awkward about these things I usually pretend I haven't seen the person. Shame on me.

Advertisement