Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment in Wexford

Options
  • 01-09-2010 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Just moved up to Wexford and currently looking for employment in pretty much any kind of job. I'm guessing that the situation in Gorey/Wexford is as grim as anywhere in the country but can anybody tell me if there is anywhere currently recruiting or places that I should throw in my CV to in Wexford or Arklow/Wicklow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I would check out the people and the echo firstly. Then depending on the type of job you are looking for, check monster.ie and irishjobs.ie.

If you are looking for casual work, drop your CV into places. I think TEsco may have a notice board with vacancies.

There does seem to be more jobs in the paper at the moment, then there were last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Dinkie wrote: »
    I would check out the people and the echo firstly. Then depending on the type of job you are looking for, check monster.ie and irishjobs.ie.

If you are looking for casual work, drop your CV into places. I think TEsco may have a notice board with vacancies.

There does seem to be more jobs in the paper at the moment, then there were last year.

You must read different papers from me. There are thousands unemployed in the Co.Wexford alone and the local papers average 4/5 jobs per week. FAS have virtually nothing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Too many unemployed in the county. They're not going to tell you there is a job going when they are looking for one themselves.

Judgement day said it about right.

Hate to be negative about it...but, thems the facts. Mind you,.......you could try the local council, I hear there's a load of ol' farts that need to be pensioned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

furerer wrote: »
    Too many unemployed in the county. They're not going to tell you there is a job going when they are looking for one themselves.

Judgement day said it about right.

Hate to be negative about it...but, thems the facts. Mind you,.......you could try the local council, I hear there's a load of ol' farts that need to be pensioned off.

Kind of goes without saying, just said I would throw it out there. No harm in trying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Certainly no harm at trying v480, it's just that this town, Enniscorthy, and the county of Wexford in general, is so used to unemplyment that we all expect no work to be available to the masses. I find it "amusing" when someone gets a job that was never advertised........in other countries this would be illegal.......but in Ireland it is the norm, and in Enniscorthy it is a plague. Now I dont want to create a storm, and I'm sure that my question will be answered, but I'm curious as to where the vacancies for the jobs at Mr.Price were advertised, as I did not see them in the local papers. If they were advertised there, so be it, I did not notice them, but at this stage I am not accusing Mr.Price of any wrong doing, just asking a question..........if someone can answer.........great.
    I'm afraid I have seen so many businesses that employ people where the job was never advertised that I've become sceptical about the whole "employment" subject. You'll notice that the people in power, business owners, and the wealthy, very rarely have an unemployed sibling in the family, unless that is their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's a case of not what you know-it's who you know in Enniscorthy as far as jobs go.Alway's been the case,anybody in the town will testify to this.
    I personally know of cases of people getting jobs even though they were completely unsuitable and unqualified.You could be a mass murderer and still get a job so long as you knew the right people.
    Anyway all the best to the op in searching for a job-at least they're trying to find one and haven't given up.

I think people will always get jobs through people they know or through connections.

Although I live in Wexford, I work in Dublin during the week. In our company, all vacancies are filled without advertising it - and usually not as a result of nepotism, etc. The reason being that at the moment we are getting so many speculative CV's in with great experience, there is no need to pay for a recruitment agent or advertisements. At the moment, there are recruitment agents literally walking into reception, asking to speak to the HR person about potential vacancies and 'good staff' that they have on their CV.

Another thing I have noticed, is that some jobs in Wexford have in the past been advertised only their website, and no-where else as far as I can see. I'd love to get a job down here, but find that unless you know the specific company names and websites, it can be difficult.

On the other side, I do feel that it is harder to get a job in Wexford then in other towns. I find that odd for a town which has a good location, good work force, etc.

Maybe this is just my experience though.

Thanks for all the replies, some interesting comments there. I'm coming from Cork and the situation is pretty dire down there too. But I thought that being located in Gorey would be a bit of a help in that it is close to lost of other towns...Wexford, Enniscorthy, Arklow, Bray, ect and therefore I would have a half decent chance of finding something in or around that whole area. I suppose that was just naive on my part really. I would like to think that people would help each other out in this climate, not just people they are related to either, so that is why I posted here. I got a pretty snotty reply from a Mod when posted something similar on another thread so thanks ppl for the replies.

V480, I think we all sound very negative, sorry. But I guess the job situation really depends on what you want to do or are qualified for. For example I know someone who was looking for a supply chain / warehouse job (not from Wexford), and there seems to be a few of those around. There also seems to be some sales reps jobs available (bad money) On the other hand, there seem to be few management positions around.

In Gorey, you are also within commuting distance of South Dublin, so its not a bad option. I know a couple who commute.

If you havn't moved yet, I would look at some other places as well. Perhaps Clonmel (has a few factories, etc), Waterford, etc. Keep your options open.

Good luck what ever you do.

Dinkie wrote: »
    V480, I think we all sound very negative, sorry. But I guess the job situation really depends on what you want to do or are qualified for. For example I know someone who was looking for a supply chain / warehouse job (not from Wexford), and there seems to be a few of those around. There also seems to be some sales reps jobs available (bad money) On the other hand, there seem to be few management positions around.

In Gorey, you are also within commuting distance of South Dublin, so its not a bad option. I know a couple who commute.

If you havn't moved yet, I would look at some other places as well. Perhaps Clonmel (has a few factories, etc), Waterford, etc. Keep your options open.

Good luck what ever you do.

Thanks. I have been looking into south Dublin also. I'm not looking for a job in any specific area, just a job will do! The move to Gorey has already taken place now so no goin back! Thanks for the help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I was in Aldi in Enniscorthy recently and they were advertising positions in-store. Not sure if this is what you're looking for but might be worth checking your nearest branch.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I was in Aldi in Enniscorthy recently and they were advertising positions in-store. Not sure if this is what you're looking for but might be worth checking your nearest branch.

That is great, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

best to close this thread and merge with stickied thread on jobs?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342236

just an idea :rolleyes:

Advertisement