Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we pay African nations to stop emigrants.

• 01-09-2010 12:14am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11139345
    Gaddafi wants EU cash to stop African migrants

Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi says the EU should pay Libya at least 5bn euros (£4bn; $6.3bn) a year to stop illegal African immigration and avoid a "black Europe".
    Speaking on a visit to Italy, Col Gaddafi said Europe "could turn into Africa" as "there are millions of Africans who want to come in".
    Italy has drawn criticism for handing over to Libya migrants it intercepts at sea, without screening them first.

It almost sounds like blackmail, but short of blasting them out of the water or accepting them,
    What does Europe do if certain African countries stop accepting them back.

He doesn't actually say that but read between the lines, he'll happily let them use Libya as a staging post if Europe doesn't give him money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

News just in, Gaddafi say something utterly ludicrous, expects the world to respond seriously. Next up, weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

He sounds like Dr.Evil from Austin Powers - he doesn't realised that 5 billion euro is nothing these days. That kinda money, we drop like pocket change into the Anglo Irish piggy bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not really a worry for Ireland, we have no direct flights from Africa so they have to declare in country of entry. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

It almost sounds like blackmail, but short of blasting them out of the water or accepting them,

He doesn't actually say that but read between the lines, he'll happily let them use Libya as a staging post if Europe doesn't give him money.
    'Oh my god we'll be overrun with black people...!'
    Your whole post is ridiculous and invites racist jerk comments. The time I took reading it is time I'll never get back.
    Plus there are probably more Murphy's, Kelly's, O'Reilly's, O'Sullivan's and so on in Africa than there are Africans in Ireland.
    Anyways, f*ck it. The planet is for the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I think we should just give the €5 billion to Gadaffi if he agrees to stay in Libya, and keep his idiotic notions and opinions to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Note too that on the same trip to Italy where he made this speech, he paid a whole pile of Italian (female) models to attend a lecture where he was seemingly trying to entice them to come over to Africa...

Now, I wonder why he's trying to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Absolute chancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Without going to Google right now as I just don't want to, I don't know that much on the Libyan president. I do however know that that stunt he has been using recruiting glamorous women, to Islam, seems very controversial.

That said, should we pay African nations to stop migrants? Well if you want to pay the likes of the Mugabi, along with a continent littered with the highest level of corruption in the world, from those in power, there's definitely something wrong in your decision, so no is the answer.

People should be careful not to slam nations or people because of the corruption they are faced with and have no choice in accepting or trying for a better life. What would you do?

Unless we do get more peace in Africa, what else is going to happen but getting a 'black Europe' as this president puts it? Asylum seekers will always get through, not all, but enough to make difference in the countries the successful applicants do get into.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Johro wrote: »
    Your whole post is ridiculous and invites racist jerk comments. The time I took reading it is time I'll never get back.
    Plus there are probably more Murphy's, Kelly's, O'Reilly's, O'Sullivan's and so on in Africa than there are Africans in Ireland.

It did feel a pretty provocative question in the title i have to agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not really a worry for Ireland, we have no direct flights from Africa so they have to declare in country of entry. :D
    Erm, look up the Dublin Regulation which allows them to plane hop from Africa and claim asylum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If the OP's post does invites "racist jerk comments", it's simply because there are racist jerks who like to post comments - not because the OP has posted a thread about a news item regarding Gadafi's comments.

It is true that you won't get the time back that you took to read it, but the only "ridiculous" thing is that you didn't actually take the time to read it properly or put any thought into your reply, beyond throwing out a few cliches.

If the OP's post does invites "racist jerk comments", it's simply because there are racist jerks who like to post comments - not because the OP has posted a thread about a news item regarding Gadafi's comments.

It is true that you won't get the time back that you took to read it, but the only "ridiculous" thing is that you didn't actually take the time to read it properly or put any thought into your reply, beyond throwing out a few cliches.
    Nah, sorry. The title alone deserved my post, also the bit after the actual news item. I can read alright.

It is a contentious subject, do "rich" countries in the west assist African nations in improving their living conditions or do we accept their economic migrants.
    Option three possibly involves mass murder.

Libya is wealthy by African standards already. Cancelling third world debt would go a long way to resolving this issue.

/reality: African leaders don't give a shít about their citizans as long as they can stay on the gravy train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Isn't Libya the only country outside Ireland that holds the Leaving Cert in their international schools? They study Arabic instead of Irish.

They definitely do the Leaving Cert in that country, read about it several times though I'm not sure how it works

Anyway, off topic, just throwing that in there,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought that people already gave money to Concern, in the hope that it stops people migrating here to get it.

No, not really, don't shoot the messinger... :P

It's about Libya being used as a migration corridor and whether the EU is willing to pay Libya to close said corridor and "return home" those migrants that Italy intercepts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Ireland probably wouldn't even have the money for it anyways.(Not that im in approval by thte way!) I think we're in enough hot water with the IMF as it is.

/reality: African leaders don't give a shít about their citizans as long as they can stay on the gravy train.
    As opposed to European leaders?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I thought that people already gave money to Concern, in the hope that it stops people migrating here to get it.

I sometimes think that seeing westerners looking so (w)healthy inspires them to migrate.

It is a contentious subject, do "rich" countries in the west assist African nations in improving their living conditions or do we accept their economic migrants.
    Option three possibly involves mass murder.
    ??

• Advertisement

As opposed to European leaders?

No, western leaders are elected first.

??

Option one is assist African nations.
    Option two is accept the migrants
    Option three is reject the migrants and where are they, in the middle of the sea!

No, not really, don't shoot the messinger... :P

It's about Libya being used as a migration corridor and whether the EU is willing to pay Libya to close said corridor and "return home" those migrants that Italy intercepts.
    Yeah, that's the news bit. I was talking about the rest of it. Didn't just read post, read between the lines too.

I sometimes think that seeing westerners looking so (w)healthy inspires them to migrate.

I know i shouldnt of laughed (because of the food shortages and poverty)...couldnt help it though:o

No, western leaders are elected first.
    More fools us:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Firstly, we're broke, and secondly the opinions of a tinpot like Gaddafi mean f&ck all.

Option three is reject the migrants and where are they, in the middle of the sea!
    Option four is recognising Colonel Daffy is talking out of his ar#e and leaving it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Option four: educate yourself on the rigged trading rules that prevent many African countries from having any chance of developing indigenous agriculture/industry, play into the hands of corrupt leaders and are the primary reason why many of those looking to emigrate to Europe have little other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

pun intended?

• Advertisement

ascanbe wrote: »
    Option four: educate yourself on the rigged trading rules that prevent many African countries from having any chance of developing indigenous agriculture/industry, play into the hands of corrupt leaders and are the primary reason why many of those looking to emigrate to Europe have little other option.

I've already mentioned cancelling third world debt further up.

As for corrupt leaders, ??? We don't have to look too far on that issue! :mad:

200px-Muammar_al-Gaddafi_at_the_AU_summit.jpg
    Gaddafi...what a beautiful photo.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 izzy93

It almost sounds like blackmail, but short of blasting them out of the water or accepting them, what does Europe do if certain African countries stop accepting them back.

Find out what country they're from and just airdrop them back. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Fly them back in the Government jet. At least it'd be doing something worthwhile then. And no, we shouldn't be paying Dr Evil a penny. He's a third world tosspot dictator and that's where he should stay. Once the crude runs out his types will be nobody's once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

Will he take money to stfu for good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

More the merrier, they're a sound bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

One thing Gaddafi's got going for him is that he's cheaper than Cowen & Co! 5b? Grand, have ten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ascanbe wrote: »
    A couple of points here, "rigged trading rules" exist so you don't get people like Gaddaffi enslaving half the population to produce cheap food, undercutting your local food producers and leaving you dependent on said third world despot for your daily bread.

The other thing is that Europe is actively engaged in improving the living standards of nations on its borders and nearby to try to avoid the sort of human misery USA/Mexico situation that superfly is trying to make a quick buck on. One example is the DESERTEC initiative which will be setting up massive solar collectors in the Sahara and other places to import energy before 2020.

Besides which Libya is not the only African country that borders the Mediterranean, and he doesn't speak for all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Just put them on a plane back to their country of origin.

Who cares what happens to them when they land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

old_aussie wrote: »

That's kinda funny coming from an Australian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

King Felix wrote: »
    That's kinda funny from an Australian.

Or typical...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We are already "paying" African Nations to stop emigration.
    www.irishaid.gov.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Didn't Germany used to send all their African asylum seekers to Ghana, regardless of where in Africa they were actually from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

That's kinda funny coming from an Australian.

Here to pleasure, here to please, don't want to disappoint anyone.

If Gaddafi is so concerned, fly all the asylum seekers to Libya.

This is the same Gaddafi who while in Italy lectured 200 actresses and models on the superiority of islam and said that all Europeans should become muslims.

I hear the Italians and especially Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, were not happy chappies after hearing this.

Tell Gadaffi all the asylum seekers are muslims and he will HAVE to accept them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Here to pleasure, here to please, don't want to disappoint anyone.

If Gaddafi is so concerned, fly all the asylum seekers to Libya.

This is the same Gaddafi who while in Italy lectured 200 actresses and models on the superiority of islam and said that all Europeans should become muslims.

I hear the Italians and especially Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, were not happy chappies after hearing this.

Tell Gadaffi all the asylum seekers are muslims and he will HAVE to accept them.

You could do all that or you could reverse the CAP, IMF and World Bank policies that are the cause of economic migration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Pay him the money. We have far too many welfare dependant people in our country as it is. Cut immigration in half and there would be no pay cuts in the civil service for normal hard working irish people with bills to pay, children to feed. (i dont work in the civil service btw)

Just my opinion folks, im entitled to that.

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Why pay anyone? One strike and you're deported imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You could do all that or you could reverse the CAP, IMF and World Bank policies that are the cause of economic migration.
    Either they're poor, or we're poor. Which do you want? I prefer the former, and that's the way it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

the_syco wrote: »
    Either they're poor, or we're poor. Which do you want? I prefer the former, and that's the way it is now.

If one country gets fat off the resources of another, then they can hardly be complaining about mass immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

WindSock wrote: »
    If one country gets fat off the resources of another, then they can hardly be complaining about mass immigration.
    I believe China is doing most of the exploitation of resources these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Pay him the money. We have far too many welfare dependant people in our country as it is. Cut immigration in half and there would be no pay cuts in the civil service for normal hard working irish people with bills to pay, children to feed. (i dont work in the civil service btw)
    Do you have any figures to back up this statement?
    Just my opinion folks, im entitled to that.
    Ah. Fair enough. Carry on.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement