Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Hi Tall Chapy

What is your phone model?

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

Hi Paul,
    It was in the title Samsung S8500 Wave (BADA o/s)

Only value you need for Internet is the APN tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

Did you try the phone settings tool again?

I will check out to see if there is an issue.

Regards
    Paul

Hi Paul
    Searched you tube to see if I was doing it correctly. I was, the only new if information that I gleamed from this was the APN is case sensitive. The first letter in Tescomobile was in caps. Deleted old O2 settings, Altered the case sensitive letter & reset internet profile to Tesco and it worked and it was fast enough.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrqpr

Hi,
    Using tesco mobile for a couple of months now. All is fine besides the excessive battery consumption. This is not due to background data, synching, apps running too long, etc as I've used the same android phone on a different network with no such consumption issues. Is it possible that the roaming setting that is required for data is causing the problem? Or the network infastructure? I understand that the handover back and from edge to 3g, etc can cause quite a drain on phones. I've tried changing the setting of the PRL also, but this has only given temporary results. When 3g is switched off the phone can run for 3 days without charge so the battery is in good shape. Anybody else noticed excessive battery issues? 100% can drop to red in 30 minutes of browsing in some areas!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Vick7

My coverage can go from full to none in the one room. Regularly have people saying they tried to ring me. Might be my phone but no problems on Vodafone before. Also can't send a picture message says "subscribe to packet data first". Saving a fortune though.:)

mrqpr wrote: »
    Hi,
    Using tesco mobile for a couple of months now. All is fine besides the excessive battery consumption. This is not due to background data, synching, apps running too long, etc as I've used the same android phone on a different network with no such consumption issues. Is it possible that the roaming setting that is required for data is causing the problem? Or the network infastructure? I understand that the handover back and from edge to 3g, etc can cause quite a drain on phones. I've tried changing the setting of the PRL also, but this has only given temporary results. When 3g is switched off the phone can run for 3 days without charge so the battery is in good shape. Anybody else noticed excessive battery issues? 100% can drop to red in 30 minutes of browsing in some areas!!

Hi There,

From a radio network perspective we are the same as O2. If you are in an area of marginal coverage then it is possible that your phone is working very hard switching back and forth between 2G and 3G.

Outside of this it is unlikely to be directly related to a Tesco Mobile specific feature.

I get excellent battery time on mu iPhone compared to many reports I have seen on Boards related to other networks.

regards
    Paul

Vick7 wrote: »
    My coverage can go from full to none in the one room. Regularly have people saying they tried to ring me. Might be my phone but no problems on Vodafone before. Also can't send a picture message says "subscribe to packet data first". Saving a fortune though.:)

Hi Vick7

We have a settings tool here that will sort your picture message issue.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Are you in an area of marginal coverage? Do you only have issues in your living room?

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Dear Paul, with all due respect, it's not against you, but what's a bl@@dy hell is with your network??? i can't login for days now, different phones showing emergency calls only. When I search for network Tesco mobil shows up but forbidden. I have nearly €20 credit but it's useless. I'm p1ssed off now! Thanks!

padyjoe wrote: »
    Dear Paul, with all due respect, it's not against you, but what's a bl@@dy hell is with your network??? i can't login for days now, different phones showing emergency calls only. When I search for network Tesco mobil shows up but forbidden. I have nearly €20 credit but it's useless. I'm p1ssed off now! Thanks!

Hi paddy, can you send me your mobile number by private message and I will Take a look. Are you using Tesco Mobile or unlocked phones? Phones locked to other networks will behave like this.

Regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Vick7

Hi Vick7

We have a settings tool here that will sort your picture message issue.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Are you in an area of marginal coverage? Do you only have issues in your living room?

regards
    Paul

I am about 10mins south of Navan. My Dad's on O2 and has problems aswell so guess it's just the coverage. Just weird how it's full sometimes and gone the next. What can interfere with coverage?

Vick7 wrote: »
    I am about 10mins south of Navan. My Dad's on O2 and has problems aswell so guess it's just the coverage. Just weird how it's full sometimes and gone the next. What can interfere with coverage?

My house is the same, the living room is hit and miss but the kitchen and upstairs is fine.

When its marginal like many things can affect coverage like wall density and so on.

Pm-ed you with the number. Thank you! Nope, I don't think so, they're unlocked phones and the sim card was working a week before in the same phone so I guess it's a card related.

EDIT: tried O2 sim card, the very same phone logged in, you are using the same network. It looks like sim card has become faulty or your servers messing around.
    Hi paddy, can you send me your mobile number by private message and I will Take a look. Are you using Tesco Mobile or unlocked phones? Phones locked to other networks will behave like this.

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lud

Hi,
    I'm using HTC Wildfire now and mms aren't working. I followed these steps:

1. Go to Settings-> Wireless&Networks->Mobile Networks and turn on Data Roaming

2. Go to Settings-> Wireless&Networks->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names and delete all existing APN’s.

3. Create a new Internet APN with settings

Name: TMI Internet APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: default, supl

(sometimes for APN Type setting you are only allowed choose froma list. If so choose Internet or default)

4. Create a new MMS APN with settings

Name: TMI MMS APN
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    APN Type: mms

5. reboot

Now Internet is working but not mms.
    now when I try to send mms it just keeps showing "sending", when I receive mms, I hit download and it just keeps showing "downloading" and nothing happens

I tried to download settings from this link http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx
    but Im not getting any texts with settings.

I used to have SonyEricsson and mms worked fine (with the same sim card Im using now on HTC)

Sometimes the type setting is different on different android models. You could try merging the two APNs to one. The default setting should work for Internet and MMS in this case.

The combined APN would look like this

Name: TMI APN
    APN Type: default

Try this and let me know

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What kind of speeds are people getting with Tesco? I bought a sim to see how the network performs before deciding to switch over. Just did a speed test and I'm only getting 0.5mb down and 0.25mb up even though the phone says I'm getting HSDPA. With meteor I'd be getting 2-4mb down on HSDPA.

What kind of speeds are people getting with Tesco? I bought a sim to see how the network performs before deciding to switch over. Just did a speed test and I'm only getting 0.5mb down and 0.25mb up even though the phone says I'm getting HSDPA. With meteor I'd be getting 2-4mb down on HSDPA.

We dont have full HSPA speeds but you will get up to 1.2Mbps up and down depending on O2 contention etc.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's a little more than me... it's throttled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hi Paul,

Are there any plans to increase the network speed? I'd be tempted to join the network as I'm paying Meteor €25 a month for a load of texts/minutes/data I never use, but those speeds are very slow.

• Advertisement

Hi Paul,

Are there any plans to increase the network speed? I'd be tempted to join the network as I'm paying Meteor €25 a month for a load of texts/minutes/data I never use, but those speeds are very slow.

Yes, we will get higher speeds next year. We did recently increase speeds from a cap of 400kbps d/l to 1.2mbps which is quite good for phone use.

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

When will tesco mobile get webtexts. Its no use to me moving until you have webtexts.

I just would like to say a BIG THANKS to Paul for sorting out my issue in a quick and smooth way! Thumbs up & thank you very much!

The combined APN would look like this

Name: TMI APN
    APN Type: default

Try this and let me know

regards
    Paul

hi,
    unfortunately it didn't work. I'm back from Prague now and I had no Tesco network service at all for the duration of my trip. I had roaming with this sim card on the older phone but on this HTC Wildfire it behaves like a 2g card, no roaming at all. There is an option "use only 2g networks" but it is unchecked.
    the android version is GINGERBREAD 2.3.3
    there is also a mod version installed CyanogenMod 7
    Thanks for your help

lud wrote: »
    hi,
    unfortunately it didn't work. I'm back from Prague now and I had no Tesco network service at all for the duration of my trip. I had roaming with this sim card on the older phone but on this HTC Wildfire it behaves like a 2g card, no roaming at all. There is an option "use only 2g networks" but it is unchecked.
    the android version is GINGERBREAD 2.3.3
    there is also a mod version installed CyanogenMod 7
    Thanks for your help

Hi Lud,

How old is the SIM you have by the way? We changed our SIM in July of last year and that would affect roaming as we introduced a new romaing service with the new SIM.

Also, your phone is non standard with a customer MOD so its very difficult for me to troubleshoot. The data settings above are correct and working on Android phones for Tesco Mobile so it has to be some other setting or issue with your device.

Do you have data roaming turned on? This is required

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Hey Paul. I'm after sending you a PM. If you get the chance would you mind taking a look at it for me. I'm thinking I'm after missing a call from the Tesco Switchover team.

Thanks!

Hey Paul. I'm after sending you a PM. If you get the chance would you mind taking a look at it for me. I'm thinking I'm after missing a call from the Tesco Switchover team.

Thanks!

Responded there..

thanks Paul

Hi Paul,
    Slightly less technical...

I have an unused €30 top up voucher, will Tesco let me change it for 3 x €10 top up vouchers

Thx in advance

Hi Lud,

How old is the SIM you have by the way? We changed our SIM in July of last year and that would affect roaming as we introduced a new romaing service with the new SIM.

Also, your phone is non standard with a customer MOD so its very difficult for me to troubleshoot. The data settings above are correct and working on Android phones for Tesco Mobile so it has to be some other setting or issue with your device.

Do you have data roaming turned on? This is required

regards
    Paul

Its working now !! I downloaded and installed the newer version of Cyanogen mod (7.0.3) and used the settings for 2 separate APNs. I can send and receive mms now :)
    Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrqpr

Ok, I may have asked re poor battery life before and got pretty much the same response as the support team gave, however, can anyone tell me how long they can use their phone on tesco mobile 3g internet before it dies? I'm thinking it's a tesco specific issue that sees the battery bar tumble during even a few minutes of browsing. It’s a shame as the price of data is pretty decent (although a bundle of say 10GB would be a nice option), but the practicalities of being out and about mean I can’t really use the web when I really need it! I may need to return cap in hand to my old network :mad:

Is it perhaps my handset? LG Optimus GT540 with Android 2.1 upgrade? I'd buy another handset if it made a difference.

Advertisement