Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I signed up with a Tesco Sim the other day and got my old number ported over from Vodafone to Tesco as well. Now I can make and receive calls, however I can not seem to get any text messages? Any idea why this is? I am using a ZTE Blade (Orange Fransisco with Japanese Jellyfish / Android 2.1).

I tried getting MMS and WAP settings send to me from here (http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx), but predictably, those settings messages also failed to come thru.

I am also getting a R at the network reception strength indicator saying it's roaming, but I think that's because just the combination of ROM / Phone and not a real issue.

Thanks a mil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

positron wrote: »
    I signed up with a Tesco Sim the other day and got my old number ported over from Vodafone to Tesco as well. Now I can make and receive calls, however I can not seem to get any text messages? Any idea why this is? I am using a ZTE Blade (Orange Fransisco with Japanese Jellyfish / Android 2.1).

I tried getting MMS and WAP settings send to me from here (http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx), but predictably, those settings messages also failed to come thru.

I am also getting a R at the network reception strength indicator saying it's roaming, but I think that's because just the combination of ROM / Phone and not a real issue.

Thanks a mil!

Hi Positron,

Thanks for joining Tesco Mobile.

Can you check that the SMS message centre is setup correctly. Go to Messaging->Settings->Message Centre. this value should be +353894300000

If this is Ok but you still cant send texts then there is likely a routing issue with your account after porting where Vodafone need to resolve. Call Tesco Mobile customer care on 1749 or conatct them here http://www.tescomobile.ie/ContactUs.aspx and they will log a ticket with Vodafone.

The R for roaming is correct as we national roam on O2 for coverage some Android ROMs dont have a "National Roaming" setting and this will look like international roaming. This is OK and needs to be on and has no cost impact - we dont have international roaming yet.

Also, some Android ROMs dont support OTA configuration settings so you will need these instructions to setup.

"
    1. Go to Settings-> Wireless&Networks->Mobile Networks and turn on Data Roaming

2. Go to Settings-> Wireless&Networks->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names and delete all existing APN’s.

3. Create a new Internet APN with settings
    Name: TMI Internet APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: default, supl
    (sometimes for APN Type setting you are only allowed choose froma list. If so choose Internet or default)

4. Create a new MMS APN with settings
    Name: TMI MMS APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: mms

5. Reboot your phone
    "

Hope this helps,

regards
    Paul

Thanks for the quick reply Paul.

I have set up the two APNs as you suggested, however, with the current ROM / ZTE Blade there's no way to see or edit the SMS message centre number. I can't see the "Messaging->Settings->Message Centre" option anywhere. So I assume it's read-only and read from SIM in this case (read this on another site as well). So is this the SIM, or is there any other way to set this - I am sure there's good few ZTE users out there, I wonder how they got this working?

When you are in messaging you click the options button usually on the bottom left on Android phones. You should be able to go into settings from there and see the message centre. It is normally picked up from the Sim but it may have gotten wiped somehow.

Regards
    Paul

On this Blade + JellyFish, when on Messaging, when I click MENU I get "Compose, Delete Threads, Search & Settings".

And "Settings" have:

Storage Settings
    - Delete Old messages
    - Text Message Limit
    - Multimedia Message Limit

Text Message Settings
    - Delivery Reports
    - Manage SIM card messages

Multimedia message settings
    - Delivery Reports
    - Read Reports
    - Auto-retrieve
    - Roaming Auto-retrieve

Notifaction Settings
    - Select Ringtone
    - Vibrate

If I hit MENU at this page, I get 'Restore default settings' option. And that's all. No Service/Message center option! :(

PS: I've just turned on 'Roaming Auto-retrieve', to see if that makes any difference as the phone says it's roaming.

• Advertisement

On this Blade + JellyFish, when on Messaging, when I click MENU I get "Compose, Delete Threads, Search & Settings".

And "Settings" have:

Storage Settings
    - Delete Old messages
    - Text Message Limit
    - Multimedia Message Limit

Text Message Settings
    - Delivery Reports

Multimedia message settings
    - Delivery Reports
    - Read Reports
    - Auto-retrieve
    - Roaming Auto-retrieve

Notifaction Settings
    - Select Ringtone
    - Vibrate

If I hit MENU at this page, I get 'Restore default settings' option. And that's all. No Service/Message center option! :(

PS: I've just turned on 'Roaming Auto-retrieve', to see if that makes any difference as the phone says it's roaming.

On the Samsung I am looking at there is an option under

Text Message Settings
    - Delivery Reports
    - Message Centre

It is unlikely that it has been reset as its picked up from the SIMb ut it would have been good to see if possible. Do you have another phone you can put the SIM in to see. If it was blank you could set it on the other phone and it should carry over to the Blade when you bring the SIM back.

It is also possible that your routing does need to be updated with VFE after the port as this sometimes happens also.

reagrds
    Paul

Hmm, I don't have another phone at hand to try the message center option. However, looking at the messages that's there, I can see a 'Welcome to Tesco Mobile' message there, which I think I would have received after loading the SIM onto the phone. So doesn't that then point to the possibility of a routing issue? Would you recommend I call customer support?

Thanks again Paul!

PS: My number is actually a 086, which was ported to Meteor a long time ago, and later to Vodafone some 2-3 years ago. Could this cause any issues / complicate things?

Hmm, I don't have another phone at hand to try the message center option. However, looking at the messages that's there, I can see a 'Welcome to Tesco Mobile' message there, which I think I would have received after loading the SIM onto the phone. So doesn't that then point to the possibility of a routing issue? Would you recommend I call customer support?

Thanks again Paul!

PS: My number is actually a 086, which was ported to Meteor a long time ago, and later to Vodafone some 2-3 years ago. Could this cause any issues / complicate things?

Yes, I would still think a routing issue even more so with your multi port history. Tesco Mobile texts to you wouldnt have the same routing issues as we know you are with us on our network. The problem would be that the other networks dont so that is why routing would need to be updated.

Give care a call and let them know you have been talking with me and that I recommended contacting VFE to update routing.

can you send a text to yourself - if you can your message centre is fine as this has to go through the SMSC.

regards Paul

Just tried testing myself and that was successful. You are right about the routing issue so. Thanks again for your help Paul, I will speak to customer care team and mention what you suggested.

Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

I havent got Tesco mobile yet because im still waiting for webtexts. Supposed to be ready either this month or next month according to tesco mobile. I'll wait and see if thats just talk.

Currently im on O2, supposed to be using the same network as tesco mobile.
    2 guys at work have tesco mobile, so we decided to do a speed test on all our phones.
    We tried 5 speedtests each, one after the other. Not at the same time.
    I got almost 4mbps on O2. So the guys assumed they would get the max tesco offered of 1mbps since there was still plenty of free bandwidth.
    Well neither of them got more than 0.3mbps in any of their speed tests.

We tried the very same test the following day too with exactly the same results.

They used to get 0.7 or thereabouts before, but not anymore.
    Are tesco giving people 1mbps or not?

• Advertisement

Yes you can get up to 1mbps on Tesco Mobile. Just did a speed test there and got 800kbps up and down.

Webtext is under development but it is behind another major piece of development we are doing hence the delays to date.

We are doing our best to get it out there as it's in our interest if customers want it.

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

is there any plans to remove the 1Mb/s limit speed on the tesco mobile network?Is ths 02 that is limiting your network or is it tesco themselves?!!

Also i have a problem with texting a certain number which is also on the Tesco network!
    If i send a text that is 2 texts long it takes exactly 10mins to deliever from the time that i sent it!if i send the message that is less than 160 characters it goes through straight away its mind boggling to be honest and its starting to annoy me its the only number that i really text and this is happening.

I can send a txt from a 3 phone that i have and they deliver straight away?

jay93 wrote: »
    is there any plans to remove the 1Mb/s limit speed on the tesco mobile network?Is ths 02 that is limiting your network or is it tesco themselves?!!

Hi jay,

Sorry for the delay, been off for a few days.

Yes, we plan to resolve before Q1 next year. It is a restriction due to our technical architecture. It is not O2 restricting us. We will be doing upgrades over the coming months that will remove the restriction.

regards
    Paul

jay93 wrote: »
    Also i have a problem with texting a certain number which is also on the Tesco network!
    If i send a text that is 2 texts long it takes exactly 10mins to deliever from the time that i sent it!if i send the message that is less than 160 characters it goes through straight away its mind boggling to be honest and its starting to annoy me its the only number that i really text and this is happening.

I can send a txt from a 3 phone that i have and they deliver straight away?

Hi Jay,

This seems a strange one. Could i ask that you log a ticket here.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/contactus.aspx

Please provide as much detail as possible in the ticket include numbers to and from and times etc.

regards
    paul

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Got mobile data to work on my new Android Vodafone 858 U8160.
    Wanted to share the story

Used to have a Nokia C3 also on Tesco and Mobile data worked fine.

Put the tesco card in my new phone and calls / text worked just fine.
    However no mobile data possible.

Changed the APN setting - Nogo
    Changed to DNS Allowed 0000- Nogo
    Changed to APN setting from the Boards - Nogo
    Changed to APN setting from Tesco Facebook - Nogo
    Phone tesco customer care - Nogo
    Emailed customer care - Nogo (still waiting)

Then did very nasy things to my new Andriod - Nogo
    Did even worse things to it - Nogo

Mate of mine also with tesco mobile said try my tesco chip for a laugh - He has a Nokia 5310....
    Put his chip in my new phone and mobile data works ! put my chip in again -Nogo

Also when I ask the OTA settings to be sent they don't come through. If my mate asks them to be sent to his chip no problem.

Tomorrow morning I will be asking Tesco for a replacement chip, this could have saved me two weeks of going mad into the small hours of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I like chips with curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi jay,

Yes, we plan to resolve before Q1 next year. It is a restriction due to our technical architecture. It is not O2 restricting us. We will be doing upgrades over the coming months that will remove the restriction.

regards
    Paul

Excellent. :D

Hi jay,

regards
    Paul

Hi paul thanks for the reply.
    That's good news will these upgrades enable Tesco Mobile users to take full advantage of HSPA speeds on the O2 network?

I'll keep an eye on the text issue it seems to be ok for now if i have any more problems i'll contact support.

:)

Just as an update on the phone.

Asked for a replacement chip and got the replacement sim card by post from Tesco today with codes.

Kept getting code locked and using the provided ones did not help
    called support they then said it's the phone .

Tried in 2 diffrent phones same issue. Must be card right ?
    Wrong Tesco customer care would not have it so ended discussion with them called back got someone who was willing to think

Went to the store picked up a 2nd new card and it's now working
    Called back to support got them to transfer the account to the new card so i can keep the number.

All is now working perfectly it only cost 2,5 weeks and 4 tesco cards / 2 emails and 4 calls to support later.

icon7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Request some free credit for all your pain and suffering..every little helps!

Just got the phone working again i'm too scared to ask for free credit as i'm sure it could kill this sim card as wel

I am just happy it is working now and I have also decided to stock up on at least 4 new sim cards and then replace the stock on a 6 montly rotational basis as backup :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

What the eff is going on with tesco mobile internet? its dead.

emo72 wrote: »
    What the eff is going on with tesco mobile internet? its dead.

Glad you said that, thought it was just me with no data all day today.

I PM'd Paul but no reply yet...

Just called CS. They 'hope to have it resolved by tomorrow'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Just called CS. They 'hope to have it resolved by tomorrow'.

hi kenny rang them this morning and they hoped to have it resolved today.

it would have been nice of them to send us all a text and let us know what was happening. i mean, they can send a little reminder of everything else.

i was away on holiday the last few days and was using my phone as a satnav. so i was very let down by this outage.

paul can you arrange some extra days on my monthly gb allowance as compensation?

Hi Guys

Yes, sorry there has been an ongoing data issue all day. Hope to be resolved shortly. Its affetcing many of our customers.

Sorry about the late reply I was out of office.

regards
    Paul

emo72 wrote: »
    hi kenny rang them this morning and they hoped to have it resolved today.

it would have been nice of them to send us all a text and let us know what was happening. i mean, they can send a little reminder of everything else.

i was away on holiday the last few days and was using my phone as a satnav. so i was very let down by this outage.

paul can you arrange some extra days on my monthly gb allowance as compensation?

Ouch. It is very frustrating when you are relying on a data connection that simply isn't there. :( Which is why I left Three. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

I've been quite happy with Tesco Mobile and am using an iPhone 4 but today I have lost connectivity to server since early morning.
    Unable to connect to internet nor get my emails.

Am very surprised that nobody seems to have been posting this problem on Boards.

Anyone else having problems (In case it relates to masts/locations I live in Cork City area)

• Advertisement

logonmar wrote: »
    I've been quite happy with Tesco Mobile and am using an iPhone 4 but today I have lost connectivity to server since early morning.
    Unable to connect to internet nor get my emails.

Am very surprised that nobody seems to have been posting this problem on Boards.

Anyone else having problems (In case it relates to masts/locations I live in Cork City area)

I'm East Cork.

Advertisement