Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dameeda09

Hi there Paul,

My HTC Desire Sense will not conect to the tesco network today. Everything has been working smooth up until today where I have no signal at all. I use my Spanish sim and that works fine. Use my partners phone sim and that dosnt work(which is also tesco). Is there something wrong with the service today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

dameeda09 wrote: »
    Hi there Paul,

My HTC Desire Sense will not conect to the tesco network today. Everything has been working smooth up until today where I have no signal at all. I use my Spanish sim and that works fine. Use my partners phone sim and that dosnt work(which is also tesco). Is there something wrong with the service today?

Hi there

no know Tesco Mobile issues? Where are you based. Maybe there is a coverage problem?

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dameeda09

Hey Paul,

I am based in Dublin city centre. Partners phone works perfectly fine just my HTC isnt connecting to the tesco network. When I go to manualy select network it gives me the error "your sim card does not allow you to connect to this network" which is rather strange.

There may be a problem with your SIM. If you get another care can do a SIM swap over the phone.

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Hey guys.

I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S, and I have no more data service. The phone just says "Cannot activate cellular data".

I restored the phone from the backup of the old one, and I am using the exact same settings (APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com, and I also tried without setting the APN).
    I tried to reset the network settings on the iPhone, and with or without data roaming enabled. With no result.

I have posted the question in the Apple board already, but also putting it here in case someone has a suggestion. Thanks in advance if you do!

• Advertisement

OK guys - false alarm. I haven't changed anything in the phone settings and 3G data is working since this morning.

I guess either theer was an issue with Tesco Mobile, or something which takes some time needs to happen when you change phone.

Anyway everything looks good now ...

Bob24 wrote: »
    OK guys - false alarm. I haven't changed anything in the phone settings and 3G data is working since this morning.

I guess either theer was an issue with Tesco Mobile, or something which takes some time needs to happen when you change phone.

Anyway everything looks good now ...

Sorry for the delayed response there was an issue for some customers yesterday evening. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards
    Paul

Sorry for the delayed response there was an issue for some customers yesterday evening. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul, it was just bad luck with the timing then :-) I actually had a few more issues in the morning, but it seems to be fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭SitUbuSit

Hi Paul,

I currently have an iPhone 3GS on O2. I've been out of contract since July 2010 and O2 are now offering me any decent offer to stay with them, so am thus thinking of making the switch to Tesco Mobile.

As Tesco piggybacks on the O2 network, can you tell me if I'll notice any difference in service if I move.

For example, I've heard that data transfer speeds will not be the same as the Tesco speed is limited? Is this true? Are there any situations where I will not receive the same service (3G, HSDPA etc) as currently on O2.

Can you advise?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

As Tesco piggybacks on the O2 network, can you tell me if I'll notice any difference in service if I move.

For example, I've heard that data transfer speeds will not be the same as the Tesco speed is limited? Is this true? Are there any situations where I will not receive the same service (3G, HSDPA etc) as currently on O2.

Can you advise?

Thanks

I'm also interested in knowing this, I've come to love HSDPA over plain ol' 3G... that would decide whether I move from O2 or not!

• Advertisement

nephster wrote: »
    I'm also interested in knowing this, I've come to love HSDPA over plain ol' 3G... that would decide whether I move from O2 or not!

I am staying with Tesco as the international rates can't be beaten and I do call a lot internationally, but as far as data is concerned ... the service is not great, far from HSPDA and I would say it also is slower than a good basic 3G service.

Basically expect between 200-500 kbps download speeds depending on the location, and pretty slow upload speed (100kbps max). Bad ping as well.

I actually don't mind the speed too much for what I do on my phone, the most annoying part is that there seem to be pretty aggressive bandwith throttling going on which is implemented in a nasty way. Basically if you do a bandwidth test, you will see the transfer speed going up and down constantly, and sometimes staying at 0 for a few seconds (this especially happens when uploading data). The consequence is that you can forget about applications which are sensitive to network delays. For example if you use Skype you will find out that the other party can only hear you half the time as your upstream data is being blocked, and watching Youtube videos is sometimes OK, but often not as it will play for a while and then stop.

In spite of the very good prices, I'm considering moving to another network because of that. Paul, would you know if there are any plans to remove these limitations?

Here is a screenshot of a bandwidth test (done just now, 2pm in Grand Canal Docks, Dublin). If I do a few tests the results are similar.

You can see what I was mentioning about the transfer speed going up and down constantly. Especially for the upload part (bottom right of the screenshot), it always does the same: gives 1MBps for half a second, then nothing at all for 5 seconds, then it resumes at a fairly slow speed ... and based on what I can see when trying to use Skype, the pattern is then repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Thanks a mill Bob24, I'm afraid this is looking a lot less attractive now :(

nephster wrote: »
    Thanks a mill Bob24, I'm afraid this is looking a lot less attractive now :(

No worries. It really is a shame, for voice service it has been working fine for me and the prices are great. But smartphone users need to know the data service is only ok for basic usage.

Paul, sorry I know you guys are listening to customers, but this one is annoying and really needs to be fixed :-) (actually I would gladly pay 50% more for my data bundle if I knew it was unthrottled.

Hi Guys

AS mentioned before our data service is capped at 1.2mbps. This is still HSDPA speeds but obviously not at the higher end.

There is no upload throttling going on outside of the overall speed cap. I need to check why speedtest shows variable upload speed results. In fact we have equivalent upload and download speed settings so it should be the same.

We plan to have remove the data speed cap next year through some major upgrade work planned.

I have to say as a very heavy data user myself I find our current data service very usable for smartphone usage and i also use it regularly for tethering for work. I get real speeds of 500-800kbps usually.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Any sign of Tesco mobile getting the iPhone 4s Paul?

Elessar wrote: »
    Any sign of Tesco mobile getting the iPhone 4s Paul?

Hi Elessar,

No news yet on this Im sorry to say.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

With the speed increase next year Paul,will Tesco be launching a Mobile Broadband product.

With the speed increase next year Paul,will Tesco be launching a Mobile Broadband product.

Thats the plan currently..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Hi Guys

AS mentioned before our data service is capped at 1.2mbps. This is still HSDPA speeds but obviously not at the higher end.

There is no upload throttling going on outside of the overall speed cap. I need to check why speedtest shows variable upload speed results. In fact we have equivalent upload and download speed settings so it should be the same.

We plan to have remove the data speed cap next year through some major upgrade work planned.

I have to say as a very heavy data user myself I find our current data service very usable for smartphone usage and i also use it regularly for tethering for work. I get real speeds of 500-800kbps usually.

regards
    Paul

Hi Paul,

I just tried to set up my iPhone as a personal Hot spot. I get the "To enable personal hot spot on this account, contact Carrier" message.
    Is there any restrictions?
    I'm on PAYG, got a 30-day data plan...
    Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement

dhaumi wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I just tried to set up my iPhone as a personal Hot spot. I get the "To enable personal hot spot on this account, contact Carrier" message.
    Is there any restrictions?
    I'm on PAYG, got a 30-day data plan...
    Thanks for your help!

Hi there

What is your device? We have no carrier restrictions on tethering. Is it a tesco Mobile phone? Maybe you have a software variant linked to another network?

regards
    Paul

Hi there

What is your device? We have no carrier restrictions on tethering. Is it a tesco Mobile phone? Maybe you have a software variant linked to another network?

regards
    Paul

Sorry missed that you said iPhone. Looks like you may need to do a software update now that you are unlocked.

regards
    Paul

I've got an iPhone, I used the iPhone Configuration Utility mentioned earlier in the thread along with the APN...
    It works fine without using the tethering but it would be really handy.

Thanks for your prompt answers!

Sorry missed that you said iPhone. Looks like you may need to do a software update now that you are unlocked.

regards
    Paul

Well, I bought it unlocked and it's already on iOS5...unless there'ssome incompatibillity I'm not aware of, I can't see why it doesn't work.

dhaumi wrote: »
    I've got an iPhone, I used the iPhone Configuration Utility mentioned earlier in the thread along with the APN...
    It works fine without using the tethering but it would be really handy.

Thanks for your prompt answers!

You dont need to do any of that anymore with the Config utility. That was when we had a a proxy in place.

You only need the apn tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

Put the same apn in the tethering section and all should be fine.

regards
    Paul

You dont need to do any of that anymore with the Config utility. That was when we had a a proxy in place.

You only need the apn tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

Put the same apn in the tethering section and all should be fine.

regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul. Everything is working fine now! It worked pretty much without me doing anything. I had filled in the tethering section with the APN.
    I'm gonna try the tethering a bit more tonight, I usually have very decent speed when surfing on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi Paul, my bank was accidentally debited twice for a single €10 top-up yesterday, can this be refunded please?

Hi Paul, my bank was accidentally debited twice for a single €10 top-up yesterday, can this be refunded please?

Hi Kenny

Can you please contact care on 1749 orn 0894200000 or here http://www.tescomobile.ie/contact-us.aspx

They will discuss with you.

thanks
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Hi Paul, I ported over to Tesco Mobile prepay last weekend but having some problem with internet.

I'm on an iPhone 4 and it seems every 24 hours or so, internet connectivity on my handset just dies. Happens without warning, you only notice it when your e-mail goes quiet or you try to do something online. You then need to toggle airplane mode on/off or restart the handset to get the data connection back.

Any ideas?
    Had no such problem on previous network (Meteor) :(

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    Hi Paul, I ported over to Tesco Mobile prepay last weekend but having some problem with internet.

I'm on an iPhone 4 and it seems every 24 hours or so, internet connectivity on my handset just dies. Happens without warning, you only notice it when your e-mail goes quiet or you try to do something online. You then need to toggle airplane mode on/off or restart the handset to get the data connection back.

Any ideas?
    Had no such problem on previous network (Meteor) :(

Hi there

I have never seen an issue like this with us. Are you in good coverage?

regards
    Paul

Advertisement