Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

Hi Paul,

I moved over to tesco from O2 the other day and ever since my phones battery life is terrible b4 I moved I lasted about 2 days on standby now it only lasts few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Dan1994 wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I moved over to tesco from O2 the other day and ever since my phones battery life is terrible b4 I moved I lasted about 2 days on standby now it only lasts few hours.

Hi Dan

What phone have you got?

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 VickyBum88

Hey there, for the past few weeks I've been unable to access internet on my LG phone on Tesco network. If I try to visit a webpage it says "Network Unavailable". I've tried resetting to factory defaults but didn't work :(

I have plenty of credit and was consistently able to connect up until a few weeks ago, but have not changed any settings at any point. Data roaming is on. :pac:

Hope someone can help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭MisterB

I, also, have connection problems.

The phone was set to '3G' only so I changed to 'auto'. This didn't make much of a really obvious difference except battery didn't seem to last as long as usual.

I'm now on '2G' which seems better. Speed difference (if applicable) is not too noticeable due to the current cap.

Maybe that's of no help but I thought it worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

1813866198.png

^
    Just noticed how fast the Tesco mobile 3G service is now huge improvement from before.

• Advertisement

VickyBum88 wrote: »
    Hey there, for the past few weeks I've been unable to access internet on my LG phone on Tesco network. If I try to visit a webpage it says "Network Unavailable". I've tried resetting to factory defaults but didn't work :(

I have plenty of credit and was consistently able to connect up until a few weeks ago, but have not changed any settings at any point. Data roaming is on. :pac:

Hope someone can help :)

Hi Vicky,

Is your phone a Tesco Mobile phone (did you buy from us)?

Did you try downloading your settings here (note seems to be down just at the moment but will be back shortly)?

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

regards
    Paul

MisterB wrote: »
    I, also, have connection problems.

The phone was set to '3G' only so I changed to 'auto'. This didn't make much of a really obvious difference except battery didn't seem to last as long as usual.

I'm now on '2G' which seems better. Speed difference (if applicable) is not too noticeable due to the current cap.

Maybe that's of no help but I thought it worth mentioning.

If you set to 2G you will limit your speeds to EDGE only which is around 100kbps whereas on 3G you can get up to 2mbps (usually around 1 mbps)

You will also limit your data coverage to 2G sites only. You might have a 3G site where you have no 2G coverage.

Auto is the best value here.

regards
    Paaul

jay93 wrote: »
    1813866198.png

^
    Just noticed how fast the Tesco mobile 3G service is now huge improvement from before.

Yes, we have implemented some improvements in the last week or so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭MisterB

If you set to 2G you will limit your speeds to EDGE only which is around 100kbps whereas on 3G you can get up to 2mbps (usually around 1 mbps)

You will also limit your data coverage to 2G sites only. You might have a 3G site where you have no 2G coverage.

Auto is the best value here.

regards
    Paaul
    Edge - yes; but speed has been good. i.e. the difference has been relatively minor for normal usage, therefore my Edge speed must be very much over the top or else my 3G is a disaster.

Auto would normally be the choice but could that be leading to increased battery usage, if the unit thinks it should have a better signal and keeps searching for one.
    I should probably get into the routine of switching it off overnight.

I suppose it all depends upon type of usage and how you want it:
    e.g. reliable connection with limited speed,
    or unreliable connection at a higher speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

Hi Dan

What phone have you got?

regards
    Paul

Hi it's an iphone 2g

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 2646don

I got a 3G micro sim for my iPad 2 but the coverage is practically non-existent. I am located near Cork and the bar at the top of the screen shows a fully extended signal grading followed by "Tesco Mobile E". Occasionally "3G" appears for a few seconds and is then replaced by the "E" again. Has anyone else got this kind of problem ? I have tried many configurations on the iPad all to no avail.
    Regards
    Don

2646don wrote: »
    I got a 3G micro sim for my iPad 2 but the coverage is practically non-existent. I am located near Cork and the bar at the top of the screen shows a fully extended signal grading followed by "Tesco Mobile E". Occasionally "3G" appears for a few seconds and is then replaced by the "E" again. Has anyone else got this kind of problem ? I have tried many configurations on the iPad all to no avail.
    Regards
    Don

Hi Don

We have the same coverage as O2 on their network so if you dont have O2 3G coverage where you are you wont have Tesco Mobile 3G. E stands for edge which is 2G data speeds.

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Internet is pretty much unusable for me latley. Edge and 3g are both really slow at loading pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭GIMP

Ya speeds are ok, pages are very slow to load or usually just time out mainly, full 3g signal. Upload tonight very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 2646don

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your reply to my earlier post. I got the iPad about 6 months ago and initially i used a cut-down 2G sim for data which worked fine in the same areas i can't get reception now with the 3G sim. I didn't renew the 2G sim as I was abroad for awhile and i thought the 3G would be a better bet when i purchased the new data bundle. So i don't understand how the reception was better with 2G rather than 3G. Are areas of coverage being up improved all the time?
    Regards
    Don

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm getting text messages in triplicate today, from Vodafone and 02.

2646don wrote: »
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your reply to my earlier post. I got the iPad about 6 months ago and initially i used a cut-down 2G sim for data which worked fine in the same areas i can't get reception now with the 3G sim. I didn't renew the 2G sim as I was abroad for awhile and i thought the 3G would be a better bet when i purchased the new data bundle. So i don't understand how the reception was better with 2G rather than 3G. Are areas of coverage being up improved all the time?
    Regards
    Don

Hi Don,

The enw SIM wont have chanegd your reception options. The new 3G SIM (well new in 2010) has bigger capacity and some features required for 3G network attach. It also had feature enabling wider roaming options when abroad. Coverage is a local thing and unrelated to the SIM. If you want to PM me your location i can take a look to see what 3G coverage is like there on the O2 network.

regards
    Paul

I'm getting text messages in triplicate today, from Vodafone and 02.

Hi Kenny,

Can I ask that you log a quick note here to help care resolve for you?

http://www.tescomobile.ie/contact-us.aspx

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Have just been monitoring this here without posting.

Nothing but trouble with tesco mobile data the last month or so. It was fine initally when I moved over (not very long ago at all) but just went really bad and has not improved.

Rang them but got nowhere - the lady could only tell me they are aware of the problem but have no idea when it might be fixed (approx a fortnight ago).

Now I notice the last 30 hours or so I'm actually having periods of an hour or so at a time of no coverage at all - I mean just the ability to make, receive calls and texts (put a Vodafone sim in phone and its perfect - so not a phone issue).

Porting back to Vodafone in the morning. Have put it off longer than I should have.

Paul
    How come you appear to be ignoring the recent posts on this thread and the other Tesco tread regarding the ongoing unresolved speed issue. Clearly the recent changes have not fully resolved what is a very annoying problem for many loyal, patient customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

It's getting worse :mad: Connection is timing out tonight. If the speed issue isn't resolved soon, I too will be taking my business elsewhere.

Hi All

I am not ignoring posts. I am working with the team on the latest issues being seen since the changes last week and I didn't want to post until there was more concrete information. I seem to be causing frustration when I inform of the changes that are made - clearly download speeds are now much improved and >1mbps is common now where it wasnt before. My experience is that most of the time speeds are good and I am testing in South Dublin, West Dublin and Kildare at various times during the day.

I do accept that there is still an upload routing issue which is affecting overall experience at certain times. The change last week was not the one that I had been expecting to solve upload routing but it was an interim change made to help the situation (and we do see some small improvements in upload most of the time). We believe it is upload routing that is causing the overall issues that people are seeing with page timeouts and sometimes blocking at peak times. We are working on it as a priority and I will let you know when I have more info. I believe we are very close to resolution.

I know people want 100% dates and times on this and I wish I could give that but its not the way things work unfortunately (and I have been stung already on this last week by giving out a planned date for a change that didn't come to pass). The engineers working on this plan to have this resolved very shortly.

I will open a thread in the new Tesco Mobile Talk To forum where we I will update on this issue going forward.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1542

regards
    Paul

Honesty appreciated Paul, you just need to keep the faithful updated, seems like a lot of people are jumping ship because of this.

GIMP wrote: »
    Honesty appreciated Paul, you just need to keep the faithful updated, seems like a lot of people are jumping ship because of this.

Thanks Gimp

Obviously, no one more than we in Tesco Mobile want this resolved quickly for exactly that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

Hi Paul,
    are there any news if one of this upgrades will ever allow me to run a PPTP VPN connection over Tesco mobile?

I placed a ticket ages ago and this has been dropped nicely by the Support Team.

Hi Paul,
    are there any news if one of this upgrades will ever allow me to run a PPTP VPN connection over Tesco mobile?

I placed a ticket ages ago and this has been dropped nicely by the Support Team.

There are no data restrictions on Tesco Mobile since Feb 11. We dont block any ports so I dont see why you couldnt run a VPN connection. I regularly use my Tesco Mobile data connection to tether a work VPN for remote access. Can you PM me the details of what you are trying to do and the errors you are seeing?

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Hi, Just changed over networks from meteor and can't get on the internet or send any mms. I downloaded the settings from the Tesco website but nothing, I've added the settings myself and still nothing. The phone is Nokia 7230. Any help would be great. Thanks

Did you turn on data roaming? It has to be on because we national roam on O2

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

It's ok, after loads of trying I finally got it. Had to change the "Preferred Access Point" from a Meteor one to a Tesco one. If anyone else is stuck on a nokia phone, I used this as the setting: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com.

You need to go to settings > configuration > personal settings > options > add new > access point > access point settings > bearer settings and change the packet data access point to tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com.

Then go back Config settings > perferred access pt and set the new setting for your tesco internet.

you can also change the name of your new access point if you want, it doesn't have any affect on the new settings so it's up to yourself if you want to change it or not.

This was to use Opera Mini by the way, normal internet settings work fine but Opera Mini is just easier to use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

So, the data speeds have improved dramatically for me over the last week or so, but now I my text messages aren't sending. Anyone experiencing this problem?

Advertisement