Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientation Week

Options
  • 01-09-2010 1:04am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to the Orientation Timetable, I don't have anything to go to until next Thursday and Friday.

Is there anything happening on the first three days that would be of any interest? IT Information etc.? I'm thinking of moving in on the Monday (campus accom) but I don't want to be confined to my apartment for the three days with nowhere to go. A few of my friends have their orientation days on various days of the week - such as Monday and Wednesday, Tuesday and Thursday, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

According to the Orientation Timetable, I don't have anything to go to until next Thursday and Friday.

Is there anything happening on the first three days that would be of any interest? IT Information etc.? I'm thinking of moving in on the Monday (campus accom) but I don't want to be confined to my apartment for the three days with nowhere to go. A few of my friends have their orientation days on various days of the week - such as Monday and Wednesday, Tuesday and Thursday, etc.

Go to the IT information session. You get a memory key (they come in all sorts of prettyful colours :eek::eek::eek:)
    Go to the Orientation BBQ (....)
    Go to the President's Welcome (you get a cuddly scorf)
    My orientation week last year was a bit of a haze to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

You don't have to stick to your timetable, it's more of a suggested guideline of what to do during the week.

When I went in for my orientation, I just sauntered about familiarising myself with the college, introducing myself to others within my course, so on and so forth. You can register on any of the days, not just the one specified on the timetable, same with going to the IT induction (free 4GB USB key, very handy).

Long story short, you're bound to find something going on each day around the college, so don't worry about it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm totally going to see Scott Pilgrim again next week. Come, it'll be worth moving up early for :p

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I'm meant to be in on the Thurs. Not a chance I'm going to the breakfast at 8.45. Stress o' that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

bigred100 wrote: »
    I'm meant to be in on the Thurs. Not a chance I'm going to the breakfast at 8.45. Stress o' that.

Are you doing Actuarial and Financial Studies also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Are you doing Actuarial and Financial Studies also?

Nah, I'm in compurer Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

My timetable is for Thursday and Friday and I know Thursday is specific to my course but for Friday, all the library induction stuff etc, can I do that any day despite being given a specific time for them? I'd prefer to go in with a friend to do all the IT stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

aine92 wrote: »
    My timetable is for Thursday and Friday and I know Thursday is specific to my course but for Friday, all the library induction stuff etc, can I do that any day despite being given a specific time for them? I'd prefer to go in with a friend to do all the IT stuff?
    For anything that's not course-specific, you can do it whenever you want :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

I didn't attend any orientation activities. I missed the presidents welcome but turned up afterwards and managed to get a scarf and some sandwiches.

Best thing to do in UCD your first week? Drink and talk to people. If you don't drink just go to the bar and chat to randomers. 90 percent of the people around that week are first years who are trying to make friends too, everyone's nervous, college hasn't really started, they're all grateful to meet new people..

3 years later and my best friend is still some randomer I started talking to in the student bar freshers week of college.

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Comedy Debate on Wednesday, some pretty decent comedians are doing it.

Then again, I am biased, I organised it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Do you get asked for proof that you're a student at these things? Or could anyone wander in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

At comedy debates? No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Or things where they give out free stuff?

bigred100 wrote: »

I do maths and I got invited to that last year just like you, but then they told me it was only for Actuarial people. If nothing's changed, they've got it wrong two years in a row now.

There won't be anything on that won't be on on Thursday and Friday. Probably the best thing to do if you do go up at the start of the week is try to meet people, there won't be much else on.
    aine92 wrote: »

You can do it at any time, but depending on your course you may get a mentor from a higher year, and if so, best to do things with your mentor and fellow group-members. It's a great way to meet other people from your course. I still talk to lots of the people I met on the first day.
    hunter164 wrote: »
    Or things where they give out free stuff?

You don't really need a student card for that. On Fresher's Week there will be some events where you need a society membership card to get free stuff. That's about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

errlloyd wrote: »
    Comedy Debate on Wednesday, some pretty decent comedians are doing it.

Then again, I am biased, I organised it.

Any names?:D should be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭TigerIsa

So should I go in other days eg. wednesday for the barbecue, even if my orientation isn't til thursday? I dont wanna look like a loner coming in when it's not even my day :o

TigerIsa wrote: »
    So should I go in other days eg. wednesday for the barbecue, even if my orientation isn't til thursday? I dont wanna look like a loner coming in when it's not even my day :o

You won't look like a loner. The vast majority of people will be on their own. There won't be much on on the other days though. If you really want to head to the barbecue, go ahead, you might meet some new people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

TigerIsa wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, not in until Thursday and Friday.
    I want to go in earlier but hate the awkward loner feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

due in on monday and wednesday, going up with my brother but hes studying so ill be alone the entire day...
    Just going to wander around with my orientation week timetable and my actual timetable, going to search for my lecture rooms etc.

Cant go to any pubs/bars, only 17, so ill just stand around with my ipod til my brother finishes his classes and i can go home :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm in the same boat, not in until Thursday and Friday.
    I want to go in earlier but hate the awkward loner feeling.
    You reeeally don't need to worry about looking like a loner in UCD. It's actually a very loner-friendly place as there's so many people that you just blend in. Nobody is going to notice or care that you are on your own. That's kinda the whole problem with the place - it's too bloody big. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

Is anybody going to the Science orientation on their own like me? The general degree for people M-L? Anyone who is, wanna meet up on the morning somewhere on campus so we can be loners together?!

I know its weird but it could get rid of a lot of the awkward ipod-ness and clingngn to paper looking confused but you're secretly uber-self-concious and know people are lookin at ya?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

YouthNovel wrote: »
    Is anybody going to the Science orientation on their own like me? The general degree for people M-L? Anyone who is, wanna meet up on the morning somewhere on campus so we can be loners together?!

I know its weird but it could get rid of a lot of the awkward ipod-ness and clingngn to paper looking confused but you're secretly uber-self-concious and know people are lookin at ya?

If you don't know anybody, you will make friends very easily. If you go with somebody you know, you'll probably spend the time talking with them and not really get to know anybody that's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

By the way, what do we actually need to bring to orientation?

kev9100 wrote: »
    By the way, what do we actually need to bring to orientation?

Passport and student number. Maybe a pen and paper for writing random things down, although I don't think it will be necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Have a look at the social events calendar for things to do..

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/orientation_social.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yeahhh

How long does the bbq go on for? will the student bar be open that night? :D

Passport and student number. Maybe a pen and paper for writing random things down, although I don't think it will be necessary.

student number??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Yeahhh wrote: »
    student number??

Your CAO number is now your student number. You need to know it. Have you not logged in to UCD Connect yet?

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Your CAO number is now your student number. You need to know it. Have you not logged in to UCD Connect yet?

Awwh okay Kinda obvious **blushes** :L yeah course i have xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Implosiony

YouthNovel wrote: »

M-L? Maybe I'll see you there! I, too, don't know anybody else in the course, but there's gonna be so many of us I doubt you'll be long finding someone you can talk to.

Advertisement