Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Blairs booky wook

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Yet again, the entire concept of protest is being questioned by some of our resident right wingers. There is a sinister tinge to a lot of the posts on here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I have read the whole thread and it is so funny how Denerick believes in free speech yet his actions in this thread proves otherwise.

Where has Denerick shown that he does not believe in free speech?

Calling someone an idiot does not amount to thinking they should be deprived of free speech. Saying someone should be forbidden from accosting book purchasers and pelting eggs does not amount to thinking they should be deprived of free speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Whats the point in throwing eggs and shoes? Just makes you look stupid and enables you to be written off as idiots.

Why not shoot him? If it is gonna go violent no point half assing it.

So either do nothing or shoot Blair? Fantastic logic there sunshine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

McDougal wrote: »
    So either do nothing or shoot Blair? Fantastic logical there sunshine
    Fantastic sentence structure son.

No, but what does throwing eggs or shoes achieve that singing or shouting doesn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Fantastic sentence structure son.

No, but what does throwing eggs or shoes achieve that singing or shouting doesn't?

A photo op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I've read the whole thread, and I don't think Denerick has said that the protesters should be prevented from protesting. Him thinking they're "idiots" does not in any way negate his views on free speech. Though I believe Richard Boyd Barret has a right to speak, I think what he says is stupid. Does that make me a hypocrite?

For what it's worth, Denerick believes in free speech more than the average person, and more than most here. You should pursue a different line of attack. ;)

Utter nonsense. Calling people fascists and extremists because they want to protest Tony Blair's propaganda campaign is absolute hypocrisy. Here are a few examples from his posts that I take issue with:
    A small band of retards, Republicans, student twats and thugs gather to throw eggs at the former British Prime Minister.

Such unforgivable idiocy.

Some people would be better off knowing their fúcking place.
    The people protesting his book signing are essentially fascists, opposed to freedom of speech and academic freedom.

This is why I despise most protestors and the pathetic hive mentality associated with it.
    The Soviet Union is thataway
    >
    The people protesting are the same shower who'd shoot you if you had a friendship with a Protestant.

The same imbeciles who've kept this country back for generations.
    My God how I'm sick of the retarded protestors who ruin this countries good name. I'd love to send them all off to Connaught.
    Just an average guy who believes everybody is entitled to their say, without having to deal with the intimidation by the feckless and the extreme.

If someone made a post here criticising Tony Blair's book signing and Denrick responded with the above kind of rhethoric he would likely face a lengthy ban. But it's okay to resort to Ad Hominem attacks like these against people who aren't here to defend themselves and label them fascists and extremists from being part of a disparate group of protesters. And ALL in the name of free speech too.

Yet again, the entire concept of protest is being questioned by some of our resident right wingers. There is a sinister tinge to a lot of the posts on here....

Myself and the "resident right wingers" believe that people should not be allowed throw eggs at people. We're generally agreed that abusing ordinary citizens who are buying books is very bad form. I, personally, think that the large Garda presence these protesters call upon themselves is a waste of money.

I don't see how that is questioning protest. Unless you think that protesters should be allowed abuse people and hurl eggs?

A photo op
    Ah good point. But they all missed......

Myself and the "resident right wingers" believe that people should not be allowed throw eggs at people. We're generally agreed that abusing ordinary citizens who are buying books is very bad form. I, personally, think that the large Garda presence these protesters call upon themselves is a waste of money.

I don't see how that is questioning protest. Unless you think that protesters should be allowed abuse people and hurl eggs?
    It could be argued that if Blair didnt go there would be no need for the cops.

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. Calling people fascists and extremists because they want to protest Tony Blair's propaganda campaign is absolute hypocrisy. Here are a few examples from his posts that I take issue with:

Barring the Connaught remark, which Denerick admitted was improper (and which was only a jestful Denerism anyway), none of those quotes call for the suppression of free speech. As I said, I can think someone's an idiot and still believe they have the right to speak.

You haven't proven any hypocrisy, I'm afraid.

This post has been deleted.

Sometimes people vent their feelings in idiotic ways against people who they are powerless to say anything to or do anything about.

I don't agree with it, and it's stupid and pointless, but it's also harmless.

But hey, feel free to arrest the INDIVIDUALS who crossed the line and charge them with assault. You'll get no objection from me.

But this focus on a handful of people who DID cross the line is nothing but clever distraction from the more important and pertinent issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Pseudo-intellectualism taken to new heights (or depths)

Capital rebuttal there Dougal. I'll think twice before mixing it with you again. :rolleyes:

Myself and the "resident right wingers" believe that people should not be allowed throw eggs at people.

Launching patriot missilies at people is condoned though

Barring the Connaught remark, which Denerick admitted was improper (and which was only a jestful Denerism anyway), none of those quotes call for the suppression of free speech. As I said, I can think someone's an idiot and still believe they have the right to speak.

You haven't proven any hypocrisy, I'm afraid.

Right, so calling someone who participates in a protest an extremist or facist has got nothing to do with free speech. I see.

I would submit that decrying someone simply for the act of protesting is a de facto opposition to the right to free speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

What do you mean he is not welcome in this country? Do you think 300 protesters outside Easons have a right to determine who and who is not welcome? The majority of this country do not have a right to bar people from entering. There is the uncomfortable notion of personal liberty, and notion lost on many at the protest, no doubt.

The street was sealed off because of the protest, not the other way around.

I certainly hope not. Whatever he's done in the past, he should be allowed come here. People should be equally allowed express their resentment. Pelting eggs, shouting abuse and wasting Garda resources not included.

1) So you assume that the '300' are the only anti Blair people in the country?
    2) Even if there were no protest it still would've been sealed off, any ex British PM has extra security, we will have to disagree on whose fault it was.
    3) The guy should be in prison, an Iraqi prison, I'd supply the Camera and leash, we'd need a couple of alsations too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

1) So you assume that the '300' are the only anti Blair people in the country?
    2) Even if there were no protest it still would've been sealed off, any ex British PM has extra security, we will have to disagree on whose fault it was.
    3) The guy should be in prison, an Iraqi prison, I'd supply the Camera and leash, we'd need a couple of alsations too. ;)

Why did only 300 turn out so? And why did he get a good reception on the late late last night and get a good turnout for his book signing if he's not welcome here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Right, so calling someone who participates in a protest an extremist or facist has got nothing to do with free speech. I see.

I would submit that decrying someone simply for the act of protesting is a de facto opposition to the right to free speech.

Intended obfuscation at best, de facto opposition to the right of free speech/to protest at worst. I think Eliot has a valid point though in that I have never seen anywhere where Denerick claims to be against free speech, and in geenral Denerick actually seems quite libertarian in regard to free speech. I think he just went bat-**** crazy on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Launching patriot missilies at people is condoned though

Where have I condoned the Iraq War?

Wiki defines freedom of speech as "the freedom to speak without censorship or limitation, or both." How is Denerick calling these protesters idiots on boards.ie limiting and/or censoring their freedom to speak? If you cannot demonstrate this then I hold your hypocrisy allegation to be unfounded.

Intended obfuscation at best, de facto opposition to the right of free speech/to protest at worst. I think Eliot has a valid point though in that I have never seen anywhere where Denerick claims to be against free speech, and in geenral Denerick actually seems quite libertarian in regard to free speech. I think he just went bat-**** crazy on this one.

I agree, I was quite shocked by Denrick's attitude here and it does seem utterly out of character. Don't know what nerve was hit by whom that prompted this level of vitriol and I really don't want to vilify him for it but I was forced to respond to Eliot's nonsensical defence and attempt at obfuscation.

And that's the second time in this thread.

First claiming that Tony Blair has nothing to gain from this book launch and indeed implying that it is some kind of act of altruism.

And then trying to argue that these statements have nothing to do with the idea of free speech?

• Advertisement

Wiki defines freedom of speech as "the freedom to speak without censorship or limitation, or both."...

I'll go one better. The Oxford English Dictionary defines free speech as "the freedom to express one's opinions without censorship, legal penalty, etc.; freedom of expression." I fail to see how Denerick calling someone an idiot infringes upon their free speech.
    I was forced to respond to Eliot's nonsensical defence

So, yeah, feel free to substantiate your hypocrisy allegation in light of the OED's definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Why did only 300 turn out so? And why did he get a good reception on the late late last night and get a good turnout for his book signing if he's not welcome here?

1) I only found out about the protest at 9.45am today and I live 2 minutes away from Easons, it was also pissing rain, why do Blackburn Rovers only get 19000 into Ewood park when the ground holds 30000! :rolleyes:

2) Late late is a hand picked crowd.

3) Did I say 100% of the country was against him? Like all countries we have 2 different camps of opinion.

Where have I condoned the Iraq War?

Wiki defines freedom of speech as "the freedom to speak without censorship or limitation, or both." How is Denerick calling these protesters idiots on boards.ie limiting and/or censoring their freedom to speak? If you cannot demonstrate this then I hold your hypocrisy allegation to be unfounded.

I don't need to provide an explanation within some artificial guidelines set by you.

I believe I've elaborated my opinion on why his stance is hypocritical clearly enough. The statements speak for themselves and require little elaboration.

Considering you were trying to (in this very thread) argue that Tony Blair is not benefiting from this book, forgive me for not putting much stock in what you consider founded or unfounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Scum were protesting today -

pisses me off these demonstrations, most of those people could not give a f*ck about Iraq, they are just looking for trouble ...

I saw an Islam stand outside the GPO today - That is what we should fear ... this terrorism entering our country.

Tony Blair is a nice guy, I hope the GARDAI beat the sh*t out of that SCUM that was arrested today.

the_monkey wrote: »

pisses me off these demonstrations, most of those people could not give a f*ck about Iraq, they are just looking for trouble ...

I saw an Islam stand outside the GPO today - That is what we should fear ... this terrorism entering our country.

Tony Blair is a nice guy, I hope the GARDAI beat the sh*t out of that SCUM that was arrested today.

It is your astonishing ignorance that we should fear today.

lol

Let's label everyone protesting a scum without knowing anything about them or anything as individuals. The simple fact that they want to protest against Blair's propaganda is enough to label them as "scum."

Nice generalisation about a large group of individuals without any consideration for what these people might actually think or say.

Islam = terrorism. Got it. At least we know you're coming from a neutral and unbiased perspective here.

Advocating police brutality. A classy touch and the ultimate coup de grace for such an enlightening post.

I don't need to provide an explanation within some artificial guidelines set by you.

I've also quoted the OED, in my above post. If you want to dispute the OED then all I can say is "oh dear".
    I believe I've elaborated my opinion on why his stance is hypocritical clearly enough.

For sure. You've said that you believe his calling protesters idiots is an attack on free speech. Now you have to elaborate on that stance.

I'm a mathematician. When we want to prove something we go back to first principles. Hence, why I'm quoting the dictionary. What Denerick is doing here is not encroaching upon the protesters freedom, as defined in the dictionary. Hence, the attack on free speech stance is false. Hence, the hypocrisy stance is false. The obligation is on you to prove that Denerick's posts encroach upon the freedom as defined in the OED.
    Considering you were trying to (in this very thread) argue that Tony Blair is not benefiting from this book, forgive me for not putting much stock in what you consider founded or unfounded.

I take back whatever interpretation you have lifted from that post. Tony Blair is benefiting from publishing a memoir, of course. However, if I personally buy I copy he does not benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ann_Coulter.gif

You and she would probably get along just fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I take back whatever interpretation you have lifted from that post. Tony Blair is benefiting from publishing a memoir, of course. However, if I personally buy I copy he does not benefit.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/politics/article-23867891-tony-blair-could-save-pound-23m-tax-on-british-legion-donation.do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/sep/04/tony-blair-attacked-memoirs-signing

From the article....
    About 400 people were queuing up around the side of the store in Middle Abbey Street to meet Blair. They were verbally abused by a number of demonstrators who denounced them as "west Brits".

Protester Pixie ni hEicht, from Dublin, criticised both the garda and the hundreds who had turned out for the book signing: "The police are west Brits who are protecting a British terrorist and the people queuing up over there should be ashamed of themselves. All these people buying the book are jackeens and traitors."

Activist Kate O'Sullivan, from Cork, attempted to make a citizen's arrest during the signing before Blair's security team dragged her away.

"I went up to him and I said 'Mr Blair, I'm here to make a citizen's arrest for the war crimes that you've committed'," said O'Sullivan, 24, a member of the Irish Palestine Solidarity Movement.

Richard Boyd-Barrett, of the Anti-War Movement, accused the former prime minister of making blood money from the Iraq war.

Probably the first thing I would do with my signed copy of Tone`s Tome is to have it translated into an Téanga Bheo and sent daily to protesting Pixie ni hEicht who sounds to me like somebody who would have made an ideal Minister in Saddam Hussein`s cabinet...."Yiz are allWest Brit`s, Jackeens,.....and Traitors too....Give my head peace :o

Having spent most of the morning in and around the vicinity of Sackville...oops sorry...O Connell St I can see where AnimalRights is coming from.

However,as with many of the "Public Order" events in and around An Lar ,the numbers of protesters was quite difficult to accurately quantify due to the comings and goings of Joe Public,who like myself,rambled along to rubberneck before checking the watch and heading back to work,rest or play....

The Queue for the Book Signing was,in contrast,made up of people,seemingly all Jackeens and Traitors, who for many different reasons wanted to get the Authors signature on the inside cover.

It thus became a clash of Titans between,in the minds of "Activists" such as Iníon ni hEicht,the Jackeens and Traitors and the assembled forces of the great and the good,as well as the Socialist Workers Party

( OT perhaps,but is there a quantifiable difference between a "Socialist" Worker and for arguements sake, a Capitalist one ?)

Mr Blair is to my mind a very British version of Dermot Aherne,also in the news this week.

A political lightweight with notions of grandeur,but remember well,both gentlemen who managed to secure significant numbers of free and democratic votes in several elections...something even the redoubtable Mr Boyd-Barret has yet to manage on the national stage.

People appear to forget that this visit has a lot more to do with the Books publishers,Random (Radon?) House,than Tone hisself.

In the usual manner of these things RH will have taken a punt and advanced Mr B a small fortune in anticipation of the thing selling well.

It is then up to the publisher to ensure that this sales event actually happens,thus we have our second most favourite ex British Prime Minister appearing in Easons ( :rolleyes:FFS),rather than the Masonic Hall,The Hellfire or Kildare St Club`s.

Mr Blair,in this instance is merely doing the rounds,with about as much control over his appearances as oul Saddam had at the end...(I`d venture to suggest that Saddam showed more dignity and courage on his scaffold than any of his Western Political victors ? )

Get a grip Pixie,Kate and Richard,develop and understanding of the nuances of how stuff works....Randon House have generated,at zero cost to them, a nice little storm of publicity which is zipping around the world right now to stimulate a few more such protests and purchases.

It is also worthwhile for people to develop and understanding of how the likes of Tony Blair think and better still,how they act...and reading a "work" such as A Journey can only add to their greater wealth of knowledge.

The entire Iraq episode was so Wrong on so many fronts,but it had been wrong from long before Tony Blair burst onto the scene and his biggest error was IMO falling totally into the thrall of Mr Bush and his cabal of dodgy car salesmen.

I`m sure Pixie n`pals would also want to identify with the great many West-Brits who were staunchly opposed to this war and the one before it..Robin Cook,George Galloway,Menzies Campbell and many more Members of the British Parliament were every bit as vehemently anti-war as the bould Pixie,but shure mar a dúirt Pixie, they`d be only sassenach`s..... :rolleyes:

At some future point,Mr Blair,Mr Bush and the leaders of those other less saloubrious countries,whose dead soldiers rarely now merit a mention,will have to face the reality that they were wrong...their war was wrong and all that stemmed from it was wrong....however that fact in itself opens up all sorts of pandora`s boxes...including the one which might paint Saddam H in a somewhat less dastardly hue....Now that really would stimulate some discussion !!! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I've also quoted the OED, in my above post. If you want to dispute the OED then all I can say is "oh dear".

For sure. You've said that you believe his calling protesters idiots is an attack on free speech. Now you have to elaborate on that stance.

I'm a mathematician. When we want to prove something we go back to first principles. Hence, why I'm quoting the dictionary. What Denerick is doing here is not encroaching upon the protesters freedom, as defined in the dictionary. Hence, the attack on free speech stance is false. Hence, the hypocrisy stance is false.

I don't want to bite but the bait is too tempting.. right... I'll take one last stab at stating my position as SIMPLY and CLEARLY as I can.

Denrick called the protesters "extremists," and "fascists," repeatedly, among OTHER things. He said: "The people protesting his book signing are essentially fascists, opposed to freedom of speech and academic freedom."

So he accused people on being AGAINST freedom of speech, PURELY on the basis that they were protesting against Blair's book signing. Note he did not make any distinction between people who crossed the line or didn't. His comments were general and directed at all protesters. And indeed the IMPLICATION seem to be, directed at anyone who might take issue with Tony Blair's actions re: Iraq and his latest attempts at propaganda.

On what basis did he label the protesters as fascists and opponents of free speech? On the basis that they SPOKE OUT against Tony Blair.

So he wants to protect Mr. Blair's right to air his views, yet decries others for doing the very same thing he says they are trying to stop Blair from doing.

Or to break it down even more simply.

1. Blair does book signing.

2. People protest book signing.

3. This protest is called an oppression of freedom of speech.

4. The protesters are decried (protested against).

What you're missing in all of this is that it's UTTERLY IRRELEVANT what the OED or Wiki consider to be opposing free speech.

I'm judging the posts based on the interpretation of such by the poster. I.E. to accuse someone of limiting free speech for ACTION X while engaging simultaneously one-self in ACTION X.

So the money from the book is going towards soldiers maimed in Blair's war founded upon lies? Awh that's a lovely touch! Perhaps it will help them grow new arms and legs?

Here is a testimony from a US soldier who participated in the Bush/Blair imperialist adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akm3nYN8aG8&feature=player_embedded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

If someone made a post here criticising Tony Blair's book signing and Denrick responded with the above kind of rhethoric he would likely face a lengthy ban. But it's okay to resort to Ad Hominem attacks like these against people who aren't here to defend themselves and label them fascists and extremists from being part of a disparate group of protesters. And ALL in the name of free speech too.

I will admit that I was a little over the top today. I was genuinely irritated and annoyed that a former British Prime Minister couldn't visit this country without having to face a mob.

None of what you quoted indicts me of anything. I don't believe that people don't have an inherent right to protest. I do believe that I have the right to call them idiots, retards and fascists if they resort to violence with the aim of suppressing someone elses freedom of speech.

Maybe you are suffering from a logical delusion where if anyone who doesn't agree with something automatically believes it should be banned. That tends to be the first port of call of the far left.

I would say Blair exceeded speech when he declared war on Iraq and had it bombed to sh1t. He has no right to moralise about an egg or shoe that landed nowhere near him.

Denerick wrote: »
    I do believe that I have the right to call them idiots, retards and fascists if they resort to violence with the aim of suppressing someone elses freedom of speech.

You have not done that either. You have called all those at the protest retards / idiots etc. This is with the knowledge that any 'violence' was from the minority at the protest yet you call everybody names.

Very childish stuff to name call everybody there today

I'm judging the posts based on the interpretation of such by the poster. I.E. to accuse someone of limiting free speech for ACTION X while engaging simultaneously one-self in ACTION X.

I don't think that what Denerick has said here is comparable to what protesters did today. Some of them went out with the intention of suppressing's Mr Blair's freedom to be here. The fact that Gardaí had to intervene is proof enough of this.

In fairness Memnoch, you were the one who claimed that Denerick was impinging upon their freedom. If you believe the protesters are analogous to Denerick, then you surely believe they were also suppressing freedom of speech.

• Advertisement

I don't want to bite but the bait is too tempting.. right... I'll take one last stab at stating my position as SIMPLY and CLEARLY as I can.

Denrick called the protesters "extremists," and "fascists," repeatedly, among OTHER things. He said: "The people protesting his book signing are essentially fascists, opposed to freedom of speech and academic freedom."

So he accused people on being AGAINST freedom of speech, PURELY on the basis that they were protesting against Blair's book signing. Note he did not make any distinction between people who crossed the line or didn't. His comments were general and directed at all protesters. And indeed the IMPLICATION seem to be, directed at anyone who might take issue with Tony Blair's actions re: Iraq and his latest attempts at propaganda.

On what basis did he label the protesters as fascists and opponents of free speech? On the basis that they SPOKE OUT against Tony Blair.

So he wants to protect Mr. Blair's right to air his views, yet decries others for doing the very same thing he says they are trying to stop Blair from doing.

Or to break it down even more simply.

1. Blair does book signing.

2. People protest book signing.

3. This protest is called an oppression of freedom of speech.

4. The protesters are decried (protested against).

What you're missing in all of this is that it's UTTERLY IRRELEVANT what the OED or Wiki consider to be opposing free speech.

Thats rather silly. People can protest without engaging in intimidation or violence. A British citizen should be able to visit the capital of our country and do a book signing without facing physical assault. Anything that prohibits him from expressing his opinion as a result of mob justice should be castigated, and in the strongest terms.

This does not mean that I don't think the protestors do not have an inherent right to protest. Its just that they should have a little more decorum.

You cross a line between reasonably expressing your opinion and mob oppression when you use violence to establish a point.

I hope we've cleared this silliness up at this stage.

You have not done that either. You have called all those at the protest retarts / idiots etc. This is with the knowledge that any 'violence' was from the minority at the protest yet you call everybody names.

"Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." There's a world of difference between calling some vague group of people "idiots" and throwing eggs and abusing book buyers in person.

You have not done that either. You have called all those at the protest retarts / idiots etc. This is with the knowledge that any 'violence' was from the minority at the protest yet you call everybody names.

Very childish stuff to name call everybody there today

Ok. I engaged in name calling. This is the internet. Welcome to the internet.

Why name call then when you know the majority did not engage in any aggro?

Why name call then when you know the majority did not engage in any aggro?

Prove to me that the majority were not. I've witnessed these spectacles before and they're never very pretty. And why can't I name call, huh? Why are you suppressing my freedom of speech? :p

"Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." There's a world of difference between calling some vague group of people "idiots" and throwing eggs and abusing book buyers in person.

Name calling is obviously not the same as somebody throwing stuff at someone, where did you get the idea it is the same?

• Advertisement

And its serious fcking business!!!

:D

Prove to me that the majority were not. I've witnessed these spectacles before and they're never very pretty. And why can't I name call, huh? Why are you suppressing my freedom of speech? :p

Of course you are free to do your speech on here although the mods may take a view of the circumstances wrt to the rules. Calling a group of people you do not know retards and idiots just makes any argument that follows seem hollow.

I do not need to prove that the majority of people at the protest today were peaceful as it is self evident. If they were not peaceful, there would be more arrests and the stuff thrown would probably have hit and the media would not be describing today as a minor skirmish.

Then I find it strange you made no effort to intervene when innocent people were being blown to bits in Iraq.

I don't think that what Denerick has said here is comparable to what protesters did today. Some of them went out with the intention of suppressing's Mr Blair's freedom to be here. The fact that Gardaí had to intervene is proof enough of this.

In fairness Memnoch, you were the one who claimed that Denerick was impinging upon their freedom. If you believe the protesters are analogous to Denerick, then you surely believe they were also suppressing freedom of speech.

You still don't get it.

I think that calling people FASCISTS and EXTREMISTS and ACCUSING them of OPPRESSING FREEDOM OF SPEECH simply for PROTESTING is HYPOCRITICAL. Because you are doing the exact same thing for which you are accusing them of being against freedom of speech.

Also no distinction was made between peaceful protesters and those who might have thrown eggs or whatever. The comments were generalised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement