Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 2.30 Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Thurs 10th
    15km. Cannot remember what time.

Fri 11th
    Gym

Sat 12th
    8km. Didn;t get out of work til 9pm so just a quick trot to allow me get to the pub.

Mon 14th
    Just under 17km (effectively 10 miler) in 72 mins.

I have registered for the marathon on October 15th in Melbourne. Initial thought is that if i get aerobically fit enough to get around relatively comfortably in 3.30, I will be happy. I will set a proper goal time after the 10km in July though as that will be 3 months to marathon. 3 hours is in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I have registered for the marathon on October 15th in Melbourne. Initial thought is that if i get aerobically fit enough to get around relatively comfortably in 3.30, I will be happy. I will set a proper goal time after the 10km in July though as that will be 3 months to marathon. 3 hours is in my head.

Good work. Signing up is a big deal. Tell a few people that you are running the marathon, and you'll definetely not even consider backing out then.

Assuming you get down to your goal weight then I don't see why you can't break 3 hours. You've far more natural talent than most people here who run that sort of time. You'll sail 3:30 anyway.

04072511 wrote: »
    Good work. Signing up is a big deal. Tell a few people that you are running the marathon, and you'll definetely not even consider backing out then.

Assuming you get down to your goal weight then I don't see why you can't break 3 hours. You've far more natural talent than most people here who run that sort of time. You'll sail 3:30 anyway.

Whatever natural talent I have (and it is not that much), it won't come into the equation for a long time.

A sub 3 marathon will depend if I get the hard work in or not. Athletics is a very simple sport: do the hard graft and you will be good at it.

A while since I updated.

I had an IT band issue that caused me to be sensible and take 5/6 days off. No harm in that really.

Took a tester 35 minute trot on Saturday and seemed ok so back tonight with a very comfortable 8.5 miles around Belfield in 7.35 min/mile (magic of someone else's Garmin). Lovely to be back in Ireland even if it just for a couple of weeks.

I missed logging a few days training after the 14th as I have been busy and travelling but you can fill in the blanks: when I was not resting the leg, I was running miles.

Mon 28th
    As said, 8.5 miles around Belfield in 7.35 min/mile pace (Garmin measured). Unless otherwise stated, all my running on this post was between 7.20 and 7.45 mins per mile. Pretty comfortable at that pace.

Tues 29th
    50 mins

Wed 30th
    50 mins

Thurs 31st
    60 mins

Fri 1st June
    50 mins

Sat 2nd
    30 minute at a slower pace.

Wed 6th
    60 mins. I took a trip to Cork on Monday/Tuesday just to see what it is like to only have 2 Heineken Cup wins and got no running in.

Thurs 7th
    55 mins.

Reasonable stint of training considering how busy you tend to be on an annual, 2 week visit home in terms of seeing people and going for pints. In reality, I have been running to stand still: running enough miles to counteract the food and stout. It could have been a lot worse though. I need to start getting more runs of 90 minutes in when I am back in Melbourne next week.

I am randomly running the Bohermeen 5km on Saturday in a sibling rivalry race against my brothers. Zero thoughts of time, it is all about getting to the line ahead of them.

• Advertisement

Ran Bohermeen 5k against my 2 brothers. Despite a bit of farce at the start (including a D'Unbelievables character with a loudspeaker and someone wth a starter gun who should certainly not have been allowed hold one), it was a well run race and an enjoyable evening. the weather helped but it is great to see a small club run a fantastic event like that.

I went in thinking 19 minutes would win against the brothers. I got home in 19.23 with one of my brothers shocking me by running 18.23. The other one was a few seconds behind me. Ran very poorly after going off too quickly and just not having the balls to tough it out. I gave up the ghost with about a kilometre left when i could have hurt and ran 19 flat. It's an indication of how much work i have in front of me.

On route back to Melbourne now with 3 hard of weeks of training and eating healthy planned before the sub 10k attempt in mid July.

Tues 12th
    Left Ireland 9am Monday, arrive in Melbourne 6pm Tuesday. It's a long trip. Got out for a swift 45 trot to clear the cobwebs. Again all miles are done between 7.20-7.45 pace.

Wed 13th
    AM 35 mins
    PM 50 mins

No idea why I decided to run twice today but i think I will add a double day to the schedule from now on as i enjoyed it.

Thurs 14th
    60 mins

Fri 15th
    50 mins

Sat 16th
    I didn't think I would add in any 'sessions' for another months as I am not fit enough to make them work but I learned in Bohermeen that I need to practice pacing so I planned a session of 6 x 1km reps today in 4 minutes each (my target 10k time being sub 40) with a good 2 minute recovery. Not really a session, closer to fartlek really.

Long story short, i felt very tired all day and was struggling jogging over to the Tan to start. I got 2 reps in and had zero energy so I just finished off a slower run. It was a decent week training up to this and coupled with a tough catch up week at work, I was just tired. I will get the session in next Saturday after taking a rest day on the Friday.

Mon 18th
    60 mins. Good steady run and I found someone in work who is doing a half marathon who can run with me.

I am back to making a big effort with my diet. My weight had plateaued over the last bit with me being at home and eating/drinking too much. With the number of miles i am covering, I should be able to knock off another stone and get to 14 or under in time for the 10km in mid July if I stick to my healthier diet and away from too many beers.

Edit: How do I change the title of the thread?

Tues 12th

Edit: How do I change the title of the thread?

PM one of the mods and they'll change it for you.

Tues 19th
    60 minutes. Running 4.21 min per km.

Wed 20th
    AM: 30 mins
    PM: 60 mins

Thurs 21st
    Sh*tty weather. 40 mins easy.

Sat 23rd
    The 'session' I was attempting last week. 6 x 1km with 90 seconds jogging rest. The idea was 4 minutes per rep to replicate 40 minute 10k pace.

1 - 3.45
    2 - 3.40
    3 - 3.50
    4 - 3.37
    5 - 3.48
    6 - 3.38

Both odd and even reps were net uphill with the odd reps ending on a 300-350 meter uphill, the last 150 of which is properly steep (if anyone knows the steep hill on the Tan in Melbourne). Pretty happy with this. i was not exactly setting the world alight but it was nice to stretch the legs a little bit.

Missed logging a couple of weeks as I was away from a week and I am lazy.

Last 2 weeks have been 45-50 mile weeks ranging from 50 minutes runs to one of about 85 minutes. Nothing spectacular, just the hard work of losing weight and trying to get fit so I can train properly. After my weight plateauing for a while, it is beginning to drop down again which is key. It is a huge hindrance carrying 15 stone around on these runs. I need to get down to 13 stone maximum over the next 8-10 weeks.

My sub 40 10km attempt is next Sunday. I will keep training away until Thursday and then take it easy on Friday and Saturday. I will attempt some form of tester session this Tuesday or Wednesday to see where i am. I'm confident I am in sub 40 shape, it is just a case of whether I can get it out on the day.

• Advertisement

Thurs 5th July
    80 minutes steady.

Fri 6th
    55 mins

Sat 7th
    45 mins steady with a few 10k pace 400's tacked on to figure out my pacing.

Sunday 8th
    50 mins

Monday 9th
    14km in 58 mins. Decent tempo type effort at close to goal 10km pace.

Tues 10th
    85 mins steady

Wed 11th
    60 mins including 5X1km @ race pace

A good few days of training leading into Sunday. As I said, I am confident that I am in sub 40 shape if I can just get it out on Sunday. My main worry is that nearly all my running is done in the evening and I have struggled anytime I have gone running in the morning for whatever reason. The goal will be to go out in about 20:30 through 5km and come home in a negative split.

Couple of requests if anyone is reading:

Can someone recommend me a basic Garmin? I am not a fan of the whole 'Garmin' influence but I think I need something to track my pace. I don't need a HRM or anything like that.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solid plan for someone looking at a 2:00 - 2:15 half marathon in mid October? My sister has asked me to do a plan for her but I would be happier doing a plan for a sub 4 miler than a 4 hour marathoner to be honest.

She is a relatively inexperienced runner but ran 14.38km in 90 minutes back in April. She would keep pretty fit with Yoga and gym and some running. She would not be carrying any excess weight. Some form of Hal Higdon 12 week plan or something similar than anyone would recommend?

Unofficially 38:00 for the 10km this morning.

Pretty happy. Race report to follow but going for a deserved beer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Can someone recommend me a basic Garmin? I am not a fan of the whole 'Garmin' influence but I think I need something to track my pace. I don't need a HRM or anything like that.

I use a the forerunner 205, it doesn't have the heart rate monitor with it so I may upgrade shortly, but I have found it invaluable using it for pacing and so on.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solid plan for someone looking at a 2:00 - 2:15 half marathon in mid October?

Try to get the Jack Daniels running book, it has very good advice for all levels.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daniels-Running-Formula-programs-marathon/dp/0736054928/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342337148&sr=1-1

Fri 13th
    45 mins. Thursday was a rest day

Sat 14th
    35 mins easy.

Sun 15th
    10km race in 38:00 (unofficial, results out tomorrow). 25 minute easy run afterwards.

Did not do much of a warm up. I live less than a 10 minute walk from the course so I stretched well in the apartment and then walked up to the startline with a number of friends who were also running (all got home in under 60 mins so a happy group). At the pace I would be running, the first couple of kilometers would warm me up. The starting waves were well organised and I got to line up right behind the elites in the first wave for people looking to go under 40 minutes. Some of the guys around me were kidding themselves. The 5'6, 200 pound asian guy in bermuda shorts to my right looked like he had no quicker than a 70 minute 10k in him. Is it considered bad form to say something to these people??

Initial plan for the race was to go through 5km between 20 and 20.30 and then come home quickly. It generally suits the way I run to go out steady and build a rythm. This went out the window early. The first km was mainly uphill (gentle incline) and I went through in 3.47ish. An audible 'f*ck' out of my mouth and I had a decision to make: Ease back or keep going. I kept going. The rest of the first 5k featured a steep incline followed by a steep descent and then a long up and back on a flat road. At the bottom of the hill, a group of about 5 of us seemed to naturally join up and stuck together in some form for the rest of the race.

We went through 5k in about 18.56 and I thought i was struggling to keep on the back of the group. 500 meters later I had gone through the middle of them and apparently the guys stretched out in single file behind me, allowing the 14 and 3/4 stone guy block the wind! Second 5k had a number of inclines but nothing too bad. I wasn't paying that much attention to my kilometer splits, I just focused on getting to 8k at around 30 minutes because I knew from there I could nearly crawl home in under 40. I put the head down up the final hill that ended with about 600 to go and at this point I realised the guys from the group had lined up behind me because they started to try and come by me! I did not have too much fight left to go with them so a couple finished ahead of me. I did get a hug from one of them when we finished though!

Turned into the finish straight and saw 37.47 or something on the clock and reckoned I should try and get under 38 so I picked it up to stride pace and went under at exactly 38:00. Hopefully i lost a second getting over the start line and will be 37.59 on the official results!

All in all, A very good day for me. In the 5 months since my first 'run' February 10th I have gone from not being able to jog 1km to running sub 40 for 10km and being able to head running afterwards to complete an hour for the day. I still have 2 stone i need to shed before I am even close to racing weight though. That 2 stone is a serious hindrance to carry around a 10km and will be chronic in a marathon.

In terms of the marathon (13 weeks to race day), I think this time shows a sub 3 is certainly on the cards if i get the training in. I should also be getting towards sub 35 minute 10km shape at that point too. From there, i can start looking at other goals and maybe even becoming an actual athlete again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Great stuff, delighted to read your race report. I remember reading a log of yours a couple of years ago and at the time thinking you'd never come back to any level of fitness (hope I don't sound like a dick). That disappointed me a but as I remembered you as the athlete who absolutely hammered me (and the rest of the field) in an xc race back in 2003/2004 or so. This log quickly changed my mind but even I'm surprised how quickly you've come on. Just imagine how quicker you would have went with your current level of aerobic fitness sans 2 stone (I think there are online calculators for this).

Sub 3 is a great initial target but if you can keep things going in the right direction there is a much faster marathon and obviously 10k in you. But you already know this :) Best of luck

TRR wrote: »
    Great stuff, delighted to read your race report. I remember reading a log of yours a couple of years ago and at the time thinking you'd never come back to any level of fitness (hope I don't sound like a dick). That disappointed me a but as I remembered you as the athlete who absolutely hammered me (and the rest of the field) in an xc race back in 2003/2004 or so. This log quickly changed my mind but even I'm surprised how quickly you've come on. Just imagine how quicker you would have went with your current level of aerobic fitness sans 2 stone (I think there are online calculators for this).

Sub 3 is a great initial target but if you can keep things going in the right direction there is a much faster marathon and obviously 10k in you. But you already know this :) Best of luck

Thanks. Great to see you back. It was reading logs like yours and Krustys that helped give me the bug again.

Nothing 'dickish' at all with your comments. The first time I openned this log when I was in Antigua, I was doing it wrong. I wasn't committed. The last few months have been different. I remember that Dublin Novice race well. I was still a junior at the time. it was the last time I was in proper shape. It was 2003, coming up to 10 years ago now....

Sub 3 is only a general goal on the fitness road. Basically I know that if i am sub 3 shape then I am aerobically fit enough to get out and train really hard. Right now, I still consider this a weight loss log. Getting rid of the fat through running is the number 1 priority. I won't really be doing any specific marathon training apart from some long runs. I don't see my mileage getting too much over about 70-80 miles a week at peak. If I can keep going over the next 12 weeks and get into 35 minute and 2.59 shape then I can move on and attack some old PB's. I'm 28 now, still a couple of good years left I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats. A super time for a man who's just getting back into it. I'm very jealous as it took me a couple of years to hit 38:xx, so your progress will no doubt catapult you forward, if you can avoid injury from the fast-tracking.

On the Garmin front, if it's just pace you're interested in, without bells and whistles, and on a tight budget, second-hand may be the way to go. The 305 would be ideal, but now that they're no longer manufactured, they're quite expensive to buy new (same goes for the 205). The Forerunner 210 would probably suit, as it is a stripped down set of functionality, but also does intervals. You should be able to get a Forerunner 405 for around the same amount of money, which has a lot more functionality that you may want to use at a later point in time (but it has a finicky touch-screen bezel that can be quite annoying). Not sure where you'd pick up Garmins in Australia, but Harvey Norman in Ireland occasionally does some good deals, so it might be somewhere to look out for deals in Oz.

Congrats on a great run. If you can hit 38 after only a short period of time back in it, and considerably overweight then you should be very excited about what you can achieve once you get down to race weight and have a significant period of training behind you. You're never too old to get back to where you once were (if that's what you are wanting that is).

Just wondering, do you find being in Australia a help with regards becoming more focused on training? The lifestyle is more outdoors orientated, the weather is good for this, so I've found myself training far more down here than I ever did back home, and enjoying it far more also. Maybe it's just me, but I've found that I drink a lot less down here and exercise more. Certainly a very different way of life.

Congrats. A super time for a man who's just getting back into it. I'm very jealous as it took me a couple of years to hit 38:xx, so your progress will no doubt catapult you forward, if you can avoid injury from the fast-tracking.

On the Garmin front, if it's just pace you're interested in, without bells and whistles, and on a tight budget, second-hand may be the way to go. The 305 would be ideal, but now that they're no longer manufactured, they're quite expensive to buy new (same goes for the 205). The Forerunner 210 would probably suit, as it is a stripped down set of functionality, but also does intervals. You should be able to get a Forerunner 405 for around the same amount of money, which has a lot more functionality that you may want to use at a later point in time (but it has a finicky touch-screen bezel that can be quite annoying). Not sure where you'd pick up Garmins in Australia, but Harvey Norman in Ireland occasionally does some good deals, so it might be somewhere to look out for deals in Oz.

The comment in bold is possibly the first thing I have read from you on the forum that i can take issue with. To say 'fast tracking' would suggest I have skipped the base work. It also suggests i took a big risk around getting injured. I really feel this is the last thing I have done. I actively sought out advice from a great sports physio who advised me when to push the running and when to cut back. I spent the majority of the first 10-12 weeks of training working on the bike and the cross trainer in the gym to lose weight so I could run more later. It was boring, it was frustrating but it was necessary. I took no short cuts and made no attempt to fast track. If I had run 41.15 on Sunday then I would have been disappointed but I would have recognised that I had still come a long way.

For the Garmin, budget is not an issue. I can buy one online here or get someone at home to pick one up and send it over.

Your input is much appreciated, i was hoping you would reply with some expertise! I will look for a 305 and see what I can find.

I could have used a better term than fast-tracking (which means accelerated development or progress). I didn't mean taking short-cuts or not doing the necessary groundwork. What I meant was that you are compressing the typical progression sequence that would take others a few years, into just 10/11 months. It doesn't mean that you're doing anything wrong, but clearly that you're doing everything right. In relation to injury, if you haven't done 70-80 mpw for quite some time, there is an increased risk of injury, but you know this, and it sounds like you have the right advice, background and history to reduce your chances, so if you can make it clear to that kind of mileage, the sub-3 should be very achievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I could have used a better term than fast-tracking (which means accelerated development or progress). I didn't mean taking short-cuts or not doing the necessary groundwork. What I meant was that you are compressing the typical progression sequence that would take others a few years, into just 10/11 months. It doesn't mean that you're doing anything wrong, but clearly that you're doing everything right. In relation to injury, if you haven't done 70-80 mpw for quite some time, there is an increased risk of injury, but you know this, and it sounds like you have the right advice, background and history to reduce your chances, so if you can make it clear to that kind of mileage, the sub-3 should be very achievable.

Hope its ok to jump in. I read "fast track" as how KC explained it.

I'm in similar boat re increase in mileage. I picked the up to 55 mpw schedule for an attempt on sub 3. Reason been that I don't want to risk injury. But is a sub 3 doable with a max of 55 mpw?

Or should I be looking at doing bigger mileage?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Hope its ok to jump in. I read "fast track" as how KC explained it.

I'm in similar boat re increase in mileage. I picked the up to 55 mpw schedule for an attempt on sub 3. Reason been that I don't want to risk injury. But is a sub 3 doable with a max of 55 mpw?

Or should I be looking at doing bigger mileage?
    I can only comment from my perspective, but I followed the P&D 55 mpw program and hit 3:00:50 in Berlin on a particularly hot day (when most of my training had been based on going for a target of around 3:05). I followed the same program for Barcelona (with slightly higher mileage (max 59 mpw)) and on a nice cool day ran 2:55. So it's definitely manageable, but really depends on the individual. You were within 2 minutes of my Plod time from last year by the way (when I was running 2:48 for the marathon). The challenge may lie in converting all of that hill strength to flat road speed. Long flat runs with PMP sections are likely the order of the day!

Ah yeah, took you up wrong.

It's a sensitive topic because I really have made a massive effort not to jump into too much work. It's the biggest fall down for former athletes trying to get fit again. You remember what it is like to do sessions of 400's in 60 seconds and the thought process is to just get back to that.

I will look to build up to 70 mpw over the next 6 weeks. If it starts getting too much then I will ease back. As I said, this is still a weight loss plan, the marathon is just an incentive to help get me there.

The outline of the plan will be like this:

3 X steady runs of 60-70 mins
    1 X session of 1000's at 10km pace
    1 X tempo of 6-12 miles at PMP
    1 X Long run starting at 90 mins this week and adding about 10 mins per week.
    1 X rest day

Pretty basic but effective stuff. I consider this a mix between a marathon plan and a 10km plan.

Nothing wrong with that plan at all. Get the pacing right in training so you are actively recovering on some runs and you'll be laughing. One piece ofvery obvious advice. Don't be afraid to reduce the 60-70 minute runs. They are only for conditioning really. Don't want them affecting the other key 3 days.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Just wondering, do you find being in Australia a help with regards becoming more focused on training? The lifestyle is more outdoors orientated, the weather is good for this, so I've found myself training far more down here than I ever did back home, and enjoying it far more also. Maybe it's just me, but I've found that I drink a lot less down here and exercise more. Certainly a very different way of life.

This is something I have thought about.

The weather here definitely helps. Even in winter, I find it great to train in. I am looking forward to getting out in the sun in a couple of months time. The Tan on a sunny day is a great place to be. It will be even better now I am not fat too!

Dublin is actually a great place to train itself in my opinion. Plenty of great parks around and the Dublin mountains were right beside me at home. As a sprinter, David Gillick won his 1st European Indoors based around Ballinteer and Belfield. Derval O'Rourke is based in Dublin and so are Hession, Gregan and Colvert I believe. It lacks a lot of facilities but it is still a good training place if you are willing to make the best of it. I'm sure similar arguments can be made for Cork and Galway and Limerick.

The big difference is in the attitude of people I reckon. You could not run through the city center in Dublin at lunchtime the way you can in Melbourne.

Official results give me 37.56.

Splits:

2.5km: 9.20
    5km: 18.49
    7.5km: 28.21
    Finish: 37.56

Tues 17th
    60 mins. Not really bothered what pace I do any of these easy/steady runs at as long as I am comfortable. It's all time on my feet and calories burned. Nothing will ever be above 8 minutes a mile though.
    Monday enforced rest day as I played tour guide all day.

Wed 18th
    70 mins with 5 X 1km in the middle (90 sec recovery). Averaging 3.40 pace per rep.

Thurs 19th
    60 mins. I stuck this into Map My Run and it gave me about 9 miles for around 7 minute mile pace. Not sure how accurate that can be.

Fri 20th
    45 mins. Scouting spots for my first PMP tempo run tomorrow. I'm happy to have decent uphills in the 1km reps but for the time being, tempo run will be on a pretty flat trail.

Sat 21st
    60 mins. Not very clever attempt at a 6 mile tempo run in the middle. Went off way too hard and went through the first 3 mile loop in 18 minute. I am certainly not a 2.36 marathoner right now so I just pulled the plug and finished off a run.

Tues 24th
    73 mins covering a touch over 11 miles. Unscheduled day off on Sunday as just too busy so I was rested for this. Just went out for a steady run and ended up doing a good one. There was more in the tank at the end.

Wed 25th
    60 mins. About 6.50 min/mile

Thurs 26th
    30 min plod

Fri 27th
    60 mins steady

Sat 28th
    65 mins. I had planned a session of 1000s at 10km pace in the middle but ended up just doing a sort of fartlek session.

Sun 29th
    95 mins long run

A good week that was getting towards 60 miles after a setback last weekend. Olympics time has me flat out work wise at the moment so happy to get in a week like this. Very confident in a sub 3 marathon if i can get another 2 months of training like this in. I'm slowly getting fitter. The weight is beginning to come down too.

Great stuff, you're flying. You'll need to start building up that long run ASAP. I take it you're doing the Melbourne marathon? That gives you 10-11 weeks. Removing taper weeks etc you probably have time for 7-8 long runs. IMO you need a minimum of 5 * 18+ mile runs under your belt. Get them in and you'll float around sub 3. If you don't it won't be such a pleasant experience. A lot of good runners underestimate the importance of the longer runs for their first marathon. They don't make that mistake twice though :)

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    Great stuff, you're flying. You'll need to start building up that long run ASAP. I take it you're doing the Melbourne marathon?

Yeah, I'm doing Melbourne on October 14th. I have a half marathon picked for a prep race on September 2nd too with a view to running about 1.25.

I know the long runs need to go up, it's the only thing playing on my mind. I have struggled to get them in so far, mainly because hauling this weight around for a long time is a horrible thought! I will look for 1hr 45 mins this week and then hopefully 2 hours or more after that. I may need to find some company to make it easier.

Advertisement