Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 2.30 Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

TRR wrote: »
    Well you are a good example of what a bit of hard work can achieve. I'm off to give a few journalists a call ;) Maybe Claralara can use some of her press contacts to get the ball rolling, her press manager digger will be in touch ;)

If there is anything to be taken from this, I think that is it. Get the attitude right, get the hard work in and the results follow like clockwork. What did ClaraLara knock off her marathon time, 50 minutes in under a year?

I don't know if you remember the thread on the main forum from last year regards the obese lad who ran Dublin in 10+ hours and was now an "inspiration" to the fatties of the world. I think you were one of the posters like me who had a pain in their hole with the Ray Darcy bandwagon.

That thread was funny. I don't think that that bloke would like me very much to be honest.

Mini rant:

Most people would not want to hear what I would say. It was a very simple weight loss plan of less food and more exercise that worked for me. No magic formula and no secret tricks.

As a man who spent half a decade overweight or obese, I cannot jump on a high horse here but I believe we need to change our attitude to obesity as a society before we can start to deal with it effectively as a health issue. Too many excuses and too much pussy footing around the problem. Stop letting people say that they have 'tried everything but cannot lose weight' when they have not tried real exercise. Stop letting the idea that directly addressing a persons weight issue will be upsetting to them outweigh (see what i did there?) the FACT that their obesity is a huge drain on the health services along with being hugely detrimental to their own lives.

With kids especially, we need to change how we view over eating. Letting a kid get to a dangerous weight has to be seen as incredibly dangerous and irresponsible parenting. If a kid was being chronically and obviously underfed, schools and social services would step in. Why can the same not be done for kids being overfed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

it's my glands not the food :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Mini rant:

Most people would not want to hear what I would say. It was a very simple weight loss plan of less food and more exercise that worked for me. No magic formula and no secret tricks.

As a man who spent half a decade overweight or obese, I cannot jump on a high horse here but I believe we need to change our attitude to obesity as a society before we can start to deal with it effectively as a health issue. Too many excuses and too much pussy footing around the problem. Stop letting people say that they have 'tried everything but cannot lose weight' when they have not tried real exercise. Stop letting the idea that directly addressing a persons weight issue will be upsetting to them outweigh (see what i did there?) the FACT that their obesity is a huge drain on the health services along with being hugely detrimental to their own lives.

With kids especially, we need to change how we view over eating. Letting a kid get to a dangerous weight has to be seen as incredibly dangerous and irresponsible parenting. If a kid was being chronically and obviously underfed, schools and social services would step in. Why can the same not be done for kids being overfed?

+1000

This is the guts of what I was saying on that thread 10 months ago and I got publicly slated for it!

Wed 17th
    60 mins comfortable

Back to the grind. I took Monday and Tuesday off to drink too much and eat a lot of great food.

Thurs 18th
    60 mins steady.

Body feels fine. Quads were sore on Mon/Tues but trotting out has cleared them. Will do nothing more strenuous than run steady this week.

Fri 19th
    45-50 mins

Sat 20th
    45 mins

Mon 22nd
    75 mins. Day off Sunday.

Tues 23rd
    An hour and change with 'bends and straights' at the end for a bit.

Still feeling fine but reigning in the inclination to get right back into logging full mileage this week as a number of people I respect have said to take it handy for a bit longer. I am due to take on a 1500 on the track this weekend, albeit not seriously.

Have a few pointless thoughts on the debut marathon before I confine the race to history and move onto the next step:

- Regardless of time, coming out of your debut with a positive experience is massively important. I spoke to a guy this week who was with me at 23km and confident of running sub 2.50. He ended up running 3.16. He ran something like 65 minutes for the last 10km. He says never again and I believe him. He looks like a beaten man.

- I got incredibly lucky on the day. All the intangibles went perfectly: the weather, my food intake, lack of chafing, no shoe issues, no toilet problems. You cannot train for that amount of luck.

- The Olympics disruption and the injury with 6 weeks ago hurt training but there is certainly something to be said for being fresh coming into it.

- Someone needs to look at the over reliance on Garmins. A superb piece of technology is having a negative influence on a hell of a lot of peoples running.

- NYRR are w*nkers for moving their guaranteed entry standard for New York from 2.55 this year to 2.45 next year. 2.49 would have been a much fairer time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

It's true regards luck on the day. One of the things you listed could have thrown a spanner in the works. The better prepared you are the luckier you get though :)

Regards New York marathon, could be a blessing in disguise. I've never ran it myself but having spoken to people who have, I have zero interest in doing it. I'd aim for Chicago instead, any interest in running Dublin? Krusty has ran both Chicago and NYC so maybe he could give you a better idea which of the two he would recommend.

Regards New York marathon, could be a blessing in disguise. I've never ran it myself but having spoken to people who have, I have zero interest in doing it. I'd aim for Chicago instead, any interest in running Dublin? Krusty has ran both Chicago and NYC so maybe he could give you a better idea which of the two he would recommend.

New York is just something I have always wanted to do as an experience really. I've been trying to plan a proper trip there for while and the marathon seemed like a great thing to work around.

Dublin either next year or in 2014 defnitely on the cards if I can keep running. Running Dublin with (well, way behind) my mates is something i really want to do. Potential for a good DSD team in 2014!

Thurs 25th
    Good steady 70 minutes.

Fri 26th
    45 min trot with some straights and bends.

1500 on the track tomorrow for fun. Absolutely no idea what I might run. I may tag on the extra distance to try and go under 5 for a mile but at this point, that 'goal' isn't important.

1500 on the track tomorrow for fun. Absolutely no idea what I might run. I may tag on the extra distance to try and go under 5 for a mile but at this point, that 'goal' isn't important.

Good luck in the shield tomorrow. Don't bother with the extra 109m. The Vic Milers Club put on a mile meet at Melbourne Uni in Jan or Feb which doubles up as the Vic Mile Champs. Great chance to run a good mile then. You won't even be thinking sub 5 by that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

T I can now officially say that I am fit again.

I think so... ;)

That was a savage run - well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

im well impressed with that time,what a future you have

Sat 28th

1500 race in 4.27 (unofficial).

Was not sure what to expect so pleased it was not too embarassing a return to the track but I will be looking for 20 seconds of that time in the next 3 months.

Sat 28th

Was not sure what to expect so pleased it was not too embarassing a return to the track but I will be looking for 20 seconds of that time in the next 3 months.

Nothing wrong with that time at such an early stage of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sat 28th

Macmillan would give you 4:47 for the mile (and 2:42 for the marathon, you under-performer :)). Great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Macmillan would give you 4:47 for the mile (and 2:42 for the marathon, you under-performer :)). Great run.

My curiosity had me checking the same thing and I was equally disappointed. What a lightweight!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sat 28th

Nice opener, job done. You need a new log and some new targets now. 35 mins 10K or sub 16 for 5K ?

What do you think your best distance should be?

Sun 28th
    75 mins. Done at a decent clip.
    dna_leri wrote: »
    Nice opener, job done. You need a new log and some new targets now. 35 mins 10K or sub 16 for 5K ?

What do you think your best distance should be?

I'm not setting any specific goals for a while. Definitely keeping this log as a reminder of the where I started from.

I have no idea what kind of track times I can expect so just looking at getting 3 months of good training in. I'm still taking it handy after the marathon but i'm itching to get stuck back into some proper training. Aiming to run set times will become a hindrance at the moment i think. I just need to be improving every single time i race this summer.

No idea what the best distance is to be honest. The marathon experience has sort of given me a fascination with the event. I think I can run something competitive over that distance if I can get the head around another year or two of training. Cannot run a good marathon until I can run a good 1500/5k/10k though so will focus on getting quicker there.

I never put much faith in all these comparison charts but now I am running again, I really think they can be ignored. The marathon took everything I had. The 1500 was a bit of fun. Just no comparison which is the better performance.

Mon 5th
    70 min trot. Right foot was tender from the day before. More on that later.

Wed 7th
    60 min steady. Day Off Tues due to my foot.

Fri 9th
    60 mins with 10km approx tempo. Day off Thurs to rest foot.

Went out for a trot with the housemate who is a proper runner. No real plan but we started off at a decent tick. About 10 minutes running to a measured 10.5km loop where I started the watch and ended up going around that in about 36.10 so pretty much a tempo for me. I was breathing on the couple of decent uphill sections but fairly comfortable generally so an indication i am in OK 10km shape. Certainly would go well under 35 it seems.

Sat 10th
    Disaster. Went out for an hours gentle trot this morning and the foot flared up 25 minutes in after begin fine yesterday. Ended up having to walk about 3 miles home. It is worrying but does not feel like a stress fracture or anything bone related. Hopefully an inflamed tendon or the like. Few days off and a trip to my miracle worker deep tissue guy on the cards.

Wouldn't really throw photos about but somebody sent me this one yesterday. First photo is February the 5th this year, 5 days before I went for the first, painful jog. I tended to avoid cameras so this is a rarity. Really shows how big I was. Second photo is me (585) leading the 2.50 pace group at around half way in Melbourne.

55145896.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

october14th.jpg

Wouldn't really throw photos about but somebody sent me this one yesterday. First photo is February the 5th this year, 5 days before I went for the first, painful jog. I tended to avoid cameras so this is a rarity. Really shows how big I was. Second photo is me (585) leading the 2.50 pace group at around half way in Melbourne.

55145896.png

october14th.jpg

From PJ O'Briens to the MCG! Has a sort of autobiography ring to it. :)

• Advertisement

Wed 8th
    50 mins steady. Took the few days off. Foot feels fine.

Thurs 9th
    65 mins with 5 miles tempo/fartlek thing in the middle.

Fri 10th
    60 min trot

Foot feels fine and I feel refreshed so after nearly a month arsing about since the marathon, time to focus again. I have entered a 10km road race on December 5th. Will try get 3 and a bit good weeks training in starting Sunday and have a proper hit out there to see where I am. Depending on how I go there, I will set some specific targets.

Goal 1 is non-negotiable. 16 lbs to be lost to end the new year. Getting to the point where the weight is tougher to shift. 60-70 miles a week should help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jaysus man, I'd seen your posts about your weight before but it's only when you have the visuals you see how extreme it is. Fair play. Especially to churn out that time so soon after being that weight :eek:

Was there a drastic change in diet and lifestyle other than starting the running up again?

Was there a drastic change in diet and lifestyle other than starting the running up again?

Yeah, massive change in the diet alright. Nothing ground breaking though. My diet was appalling before hand so it did not take a genius to figure out the changes. Just replaced the chocolate with fruit, the pizzas with salads, cut down a lot on the pints (still enjoy a beer regularly) and drank water pretty much exclusively outside that. One of the main things was to organize my eating day better by religiously eating a good, healthy breakfast.

To be honest, once you get over the first 3-4 weeks of craving the sugar/fat, it is not difficult as you feel so much better. I don't live like a fasting monk or anything though. I still eat unhealthy things and love eating out but it is all in serious moderation compared to before.

Sun 11th
    80 mins. Supposed to be 90 and the first longish run back but it was 27 degrees and i was struggling.

Mon 12th
    AM 30 mins.
    PM 25 mins

Tues
    5 miles of warming up/down.

4x1mile with 90-120 seconds recovery.

Loop is just short of a mile (Garmin measured at 1570-1575). Meant to do 5 but went out WAY too hard and decided to scrap the 5th. Rubbish from me really, there is lots more benefit to do 5 of them in 5.25-5.30. First fast thing i have done in months so putting it down to a learning experience.

You fcuker, I'm trying to take it easy and fully recover from my marathon before starting training for the greatest showdown since hulk hogan took on Andre the giant In wrestle mania iii and then I see this session. Bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Yeah, massive change in the diet alright. Nothing ground breaking though. My diet was appalling before hand so it did not take a genius to figure out the changes. Just replaced the chocolate with fruit, the pizzas with salads, cut down a lot on the pints (still enjoy a beer regularly) and drank water pretty much exclusively outside that. One of the main things was to organize my eating day better by religiously eating a good, healthy breakfast.

To be honest, once you get over the first 3-4 weeks of craving the sugar/fat, it is not difficult as you feel so much better. I don't live like a fasting monk or anything though. I still eat unhealthy things and love eating out but it is all in serious moderation compared to before.

Would you mind giving a bit more detail on what a typical day food would be with times you would have them ? Thanks

PS have a similar photo with me smiling in an off-licence 3 1/2 stone ago. My photo is good but could do better with losing another stone ;)

rom wrote: »
    Would you mind giving a bit more detail on what a typical day food would be with times you would have them ? Thanks

I would not recommend this to anyone, it is simply what has been working for me. I’m not religious about it either and beers/crap food slip in plenty of days.

I actually asked Krusty about his eating habits on his log a good while ago and got a great answer. I can't seem to find it in is Tolkien-esque thread but certainly worth looking up.

Typical Day

Up at 6am for work at 7am. I constantly drink water through the day. Usually have a coffee and tea but trying to introduce more green tea.

Breakfast about 7.15am of a banana, 4 Weetabix with low fat milk, a protein bar/apple and a small yoghurt. Sometimes I’ll have a bagel instead of the cereal (the very odd time, a bagel along with the rest).

Usually have a snack about 10-11am whenever I get hungry. Mostly it’s a piece of fruit or a muesli bar.

Lunch at about 1pm. I usually have a wrap/fococcia from a café or soup with a sandwich/bagel or sushi or a good salad. Typical office lunch really.

If training at 6pm then I will have a snack about 4pm - a banana/protein bar/bagel.

Dinner at about 8 after training. This changes depending on how prepared I am. If I have sorted myself out then this will be something like grilled chicken with a good salad – leafy lettuce, spinach, rocket, olives, cherry tomatoes, avocado dressed with balsamic or squeezed lemon. If I am being lazy then I might dive back into breakfast mode with muesli/fruit/yoghurt or lunch mode with a whole wheat sandwich.

Strangely for a runner, I eat very little pasta. I used to eat plenty and it wasn’t a conscious decision to cut back but I actually feel better without it. I had no pasta whatsoever in the week before the marathon.

General Rules I try to follow:
    Never skip breakfast.
    Don’t be hungry – eat when you feel hunger.
    Don’t eat late at night, nothing after 9pm at the latest.
    Avoid butter, mayo and other spreads as much as possible.
    As little white bread as possible.

You fcuker, I'm trying to take it easy and fully recover from my marathon before starting training for the greatest showdown since hulk hogan took on Andre the giant In wrestle mania iii and then I see this session. Bastard

I thought this would encourage you, I can't even get through 5x1 mile when the mile is short!

Wed 14th
    9.79 miles @ 6.19/mile.

I cracked and bought a Garmin. I will be able to give some details on my runs but i feel I have betrayed my roots.

I thought this would encourage you, I can't even get through 5x1 mile when the mile is short!

I probably wouldn't do much better myself at the moment and it's not as if the biggest smackdown trilogy showdown in the history of Irish athletics is happening next week. I'm sure you will come along quickly.
    Wed 14th
    9.79 miles @ 6.19/mile.

I cracked and bought a Garmin. I will be able to give some details on my runs but i feel I have betrayed my roots.

I'd rather you didn't post info like this, I'm getting slightly worried. I've got to sit down and work out a schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'd rather you didn't post info like this, I'm getting slightly worried. I've got to sit down and work out a schedule.
    Better be something super complex like the one the other night

Advertisement