Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 2.30 Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

rom wrote: »
    I know people who do more core work than running. wtf is that about like, and no they ain't coming back from an injury.

I do almost as many core strength/ gym/ weights sessions each week as I do track sessions. Am I lazy?

Core strength is extremely important for any athlete of any distance, and all the elites do it. The fact that some boardsies overlook it is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

TRR wrote: »
    Nothing at all actually just I know parts of my diet have a little more fat compared to runners "back in the day" so low fat milk is one way I compensate for this.

Sound advise with a good reason behind it.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    I do almost as many core strength/ gym/ weights sessions each week as I do track sessions. Am I lazy?
    You say track sessions. Do you run other than track sessions. I am talking about someone running 3 times a week and doing core 5 times a week and with a goal of running a marathon.
    Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Core strength is extremely important for any athlete of any distance, and all the elites do it. The fact that some boardsies overlook it is neither here nor there.
    I am not saying it isn't but running is much more important and a lot of people seem to live without core work of any kind and still produce results. Also I do think the problem arises that people look at elites and think if I emulate I will be like them. The same goes for sports drinks. There is not a need for these for most people as they will just put on weight as a result of drinking them.

PS: If you say something like "all elites do" you need to back it up with facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

jesus i just asked mff if he did any core or stretching :).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

shels4ever wrote: »
    jesus i just asked mff if he did any core or stretching :).
    myflipflops' log is the new runner's lounge. A place to get together and shoot the breeze.
    Did you see that Lindsay Lohan has been arrested for allegedly punching another female in a night-club? Those crazy big-city girls..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

myflipflops' log is the new runner's lounge. A place to get together and shoot the breeze.
    Did you see that Lindsay Lohan has been arrested for allegedly punching another female in a night-club? Those crazy big-tity girls..

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Thurs 29th
    8 miles. 33 degrees when I started, hotter when I finished. I got through the 1st 5 miles at 6.30ish pace but then just hit the brakes and jogged in at around 7.30. My respect for Krusty's marathon in the heat went up tenfold. Plenty of people would have skipped training today though so happy i got out.

shels4ever wrote: »
    do you do much stretching or core work, or just pure old school running

Not enough strength work to be honest. I'm getting better at getting the stretching in but I need to work on the core side of things. Strange how I am delighted to get out and run 16 miles in warm weather but I avoid doing 15 minutes of exercises.

How is the body holding up anyway?

Pretty good so far to be honest. I have some issues coming from my weak glutes/core which are a result of 6 years inactivity. They don't hinder my training though and I see my message therapist (genius) regularly. The real test will be when I start doing 2 sessions a week on top of the mileage.
    rom wrote: »
    Why are people obsessed with cross training, core work, stretching, recovery drinks, rest days, etc. There is no substitute for hard work.

I agree with ROM (if I am picking him up right). Core work, stretching and specific recovery are a very important part of training for a distance runner but actual running is 95% of the job. Doing the auxiliary work is a waste of time if you are not putting in the miles and the session. I know plenty of quality runners who don't do enough core work. I know very few quality distance runners who don't work hard enough.

'Train smarter, not harder' is a popular phrase these days. It is only applicable if you are working hard in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Ah, that's probably a bit ambitious. I'm still struggling when I try to run fast. I reckon 34.15 would be good.

If you don't break 34minutes I will do the beer mile commando

If you don't break 34minutes I will do the beer mile commando

Eh MFF, get the fecking finger out or we will literally be able to stick the finger into thirstywork :)

Fri 30th
    9 miles @ 6.30. Ran in and out of work too.

Sat 1st
    10 miles including a hit out on the track.
    2.5 mile warm up then the below with 200 meter jog recovery (<90) and 5.5 miles afterwards. Did not bother timing the last 2 reps but seemed consistent. After all the heat this week, it had the temerity to hammer down rain the moment I stepped onto the track!
    800 - 2.27
    600 - 1.49
    400 - 67
    200 - ??
    400 - ??

Sun 2nd
    16 miles @ 6.35 pace. Don't have the Garmin info but I will post the mile splits at some point. We started with a 7.28 and ended with a 6.00. Went through the half marathon mark in 85.04. Interestingly, Craig Mottram was about for this. Ran with his group for a mile or so but they go pretty slow on the long runs so we moved on.

88 miles for the week (just over 90 if i include all the trots into work). Delighted to get that mileage in with a decent session on Tuesday included. Ready to take it very handy tomorrow and Tuesday and then have a proper crack over 10k on Wednesday. Could run anything from 33.45 to 35 flat I reckon. Covering the long stuff without a bother but struggling when I try to do anything shorter and quicker.

• Advertisement

Good luck Wednesday. Assuming the course is fair and heat is ok I think you will surprise yourself and run a fast 10k. Feck, if you're pissing off on Craig motram in training I may as well admit defeat in the trilogy ;) .......... But I'd never do that. Looks like I need to go Tonya Harding on your ass and inflict an injury on you when you arrive home. Prepare to be met by a ninja with a crowbar in Dublin airport :)

if you're pissing off on Craig mottram in training

I was just amazed at the pace he was running at. Far be it from me to be judging the training of a guy that has run 12.55 for 5k but he is talking of a move to the marathon so that kind of pace is surprising. He must be able to tick off 6.10 miles like he is standing still. There was a couple of high quality, experienced marathoners in our group and they have been shocked about it too.

To be honest, even running in the vicinity of Mottram and training with someone like Lisa Weightman are massive confidence boosters. They are in different stratospheres to me in terms of fitness and everything else but being seen as a legitimate runner in that company is nice.

Mon 3rd
    8 miles.

Day off Tuesday as I developed a friction burn on ankle last week so wanted to let it heal a bit.

Wed 5th
    10km race. 3rd in 34.19 (17.02 through 5km)

Not an awful result but I am very disappointed with how I ran. I went off way too hard like a kid in his first race. It was a very windy day and smart thing was to sit in and wait until the second half to kick on. I went and ran a 5.15 first mile. Every race cannot exceed expectations I suppose.

Not a big set back though, back to the training grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's a cracking time. Well done. Very even splits too, even with a fast first mile.
    Just curious: Do you regret not starting back on the path to running sooner, or just happy to be back on the path and making progress now?

Just curious: Do you regret not starting back on the path to running sooner, or just happy to be back on the path and making progress now?

I massively regret giving it up in the first place. It's only now I appreciate how wasteful throwing away that base level of fitness was. I actually did not run for that long when younger. I ran my first club race in October 2000 and my last proper race (Dublin Novice where I destroyed a slightly younger but still pretty old TRR) in October/November 2003. That was it aside from a couple of abandoned 'comebacks' in the following 18 months. I cannot claim burnout!

It would have been great to have never stopped or to have started back earlier but who knows what would have happened? I will always regret missing the chance to test my potential to the limits but there is nobody to blame for that but myself.

Well done on fcuking up the race, bravo ;)

seriously though decent time and you are very race rusty. As you say yourself last race was 9 years ago, you ran a marathon recently but have yet to race it. I bet in a higher quality field with more depth you may have behaved yourself and ran a bit more sensible. Nothing like the thrill of being at the front of a field to make you run like a prick (as you now know)

No use on dwelling on missed opportunities of your long lost running youth ;) I use to regret missing out on 5-6 years of running when I went to college, flip side is most of my friends who did run aren't doing so now and are very envious of me. Got to make the best of current situation.

Anyway enough of me stroking your ego, keep on training because this ninja is determined to avenge our last meeting.

Good running in the 10k. Well done.

Looking at the results from the lower grades of the Zatopek the other night you would have been well up there in the faster of the 2 races:

http://www.athsvic.org.au/images/uploads/results/Results_DrawZatopek_Lower_Divisions_(BCD)_-Dec_4_2012.pdf

this ninja is determined to avenge our last meeting.

What do you reckon you can get down to by then? Im hoping to be capable of running under 32.30 at that point but im due to start a plateau with regard to improvement soon.

To be honest, the competition has me properly motivated. I think we are thinking along similar lines - hammer away at the 10k times but long term I want a sub 2.30 marathon.

What do you reckon you can get down to by then? Im hoping to be capable of running under 32.30 at that point but im due to start a plateau with regard to improvement soon.

If you think I'm telling you what my target time is you are very much mistaking. You are the enemy! From next week onwards I will be also applying the ninja factor to my training log. Each reported run will only be 2/3 of what I actually do and I'll inflating the average pace by at least 30 seconds. Need to lull you into a false sense of security.
    To be honest, the competition has me properly motivated. I think we are thinking along similar lines - hammer away at the 10k times but long term I want a sub 2.30 marathon.

Me too I've ran every day this week. I got out 2 days I normally wouldn't and it's all because of the trilogy. Bring it bitch ;)

Might want to improve that beer mileing of yours for this challenge. ;)

• Advertisement

Thurs 13th
    5 miles recovery.

Fri 14th
    9 miles at 6.25

Sun 15th
    90 minutes at 7.30 miles. Away for the weekend and it was 37 degrees on Saturday so I did not run. THis run was a wonderful trot around some superb trails. Elevation profile would have looked like a rollercoaster.

It seems to be awards season on the main forum so I thought I would give out some of my own.

Poster of the year: Me obviously.

The 'Ron Burgundy: I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal' award: Pisco Sour for referencing his 400 PB in an argument with an official.

'Training log I thought was a piss take at first' award: Ray Lanigan for having a 118 mile week as his second post.

The 'I bet he is a w*nker in real life' award: Krusty

The toys out of the pram award:: TRR for closing his account because people weren't being nice.

The 'I wish he posted more' award: Bazman

'ID please' award Ecoli

Mon 10th
    9.55 miles @ 6.20

Tues 11th
    Afternoon: 8.5 miles with 5 mile 'tempo' in 30.02
    Night: 4 mile running commute.

Wed 12th
    11 miles @ 6.45

Thurs 13th
    2 mile warm up

5x800 on the track with <90 recoveries.

4 mile warm down.

After the iffy 10k last week, it's time to add some faster stuff. Happy with this, the plan was run 2.35s which i reckon would be close to my 5k pace so i was under that. Not setting the world alight but seeing progress.

Running a 3k on the track next week with a view to going 9.30.

Fri 14th
    7.01 miles @ 6.20. Too fast! Headphones in and into a rythm.

Sat 15th
    10 miles with 6 tempo at estimated half marathon pace o 5.50 miles.
    5.55, 5.50, 5.38, 5.50, 6.02, 5.45.

Felt like crap and struggled horribly.

Sun 16th
    15 miles + at about 6.35/mile. Garmin battery went after 10.5 miles.

Mon 17th
    10 miles @ 6.45

Tues 18th
    Planned track session of 10 x 400 in 72 seconds with 100 jog recovery. Threw it in after 8 reps

Actual reps: 65 (!!), 69, 72, 72, 72, 72, 72, 71

Wed 18th
    6 miles @ 6.50

Thurs 19th
    3k track race. 10th in 9.15.4.

Pretty happy with the time. Ran a pretty sensible race after the stupidity over 10km 2 weeks previously. Probably left some in the tank in the middle section. I have absolutely no speed these days which needs working on. Encouraging though.

3k track race. 10th in 9.15.4.

Pretty happy with the time. Ran a pretty sensible race after the stupidity over 10km 2 weeks previously. Probably left some in the tank in the middle section. I have absolutely no speed these days which needs working on. Encouraging though.

Feck off ;) Well done. May need a handicap in the trilogy at this rate :o

Feck off ;) Well done. May need a handicap in the trilogy at this rate :o

You should have seen my attempt to kick with 150 to go. At least 3 runners I should have dropped over the last lap got by me. I was never the quickest guy in the world but I still should be able to put out a 65 last lap when I wasn't hurting too badly. No pick up at all. Maybe I should have worn spikes but I definitely need to get some 400 repeats into my legs.

You should have seen my attempt to kick with 150 to go. At least 3 runners I should have dropped over the last lap got by me. I was never the quickest guy in the world but I still should be able to put out a 65 last lap when I wasn't hurting too badly. No pick up at all. Maybe I should have worn spikes but I definitely need to get some 400 repeats into my legs.

I know exactly what you mean. That extra gear just isn't there. I'm hoping to rediscover two of my gears in the coming months. I'm basically one paced at the moment. 400s and 200s are on the cards in the coming months. Reason I was slagging you was because I think you've regained a good bit of speed relative to your 19 minute 5k in may.

PS: you need to change the title of your log. Maybe sub 2.30 marathon and Sub 4.30 mile :) or TRR is going to win the trilogy ;)

I know exactly what you mean. That extra gear just isn't there. I'm hoping to rediscover two of my gears in the coming months. I'm basically one paced at the moment. 400s and 200s are on the cards in the coming months. Reason I was slagging you was because I think you've regained a good bit of speed relative to your 19 minute 5k in may.
    )

Gear? More like cogs turning for me these days.

I have this ridiculous hipster housemate at the moment who cycles a 'fixie' single gear bike. That is pretty much what I am like right now.

I am pleased with the 3k time. Still 40 seconds away from my PB but it possibly shows a PB is possible in a years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Just wanted to say I'm honoured to share the performance podium with you... Someday TRR might be a good enough jogger to join you on a podium too!

In other news, I was thinking about this natural ability malark - I think a huge influence on my training is my mind. If I decide to do something, I'm generally as stubborn as fook not to deviate from the plan. That goes for everything, from giving up booze and junk food, to doing the dog on the booze and junk food, for a prescribed period of time. I was a veritable nazi when it came to that Berlin training schedule!! So can that stubborn/focused mindset/attitude be included with one's natural talents? It is, after all, an innate characteristic which can't really be nurtured.

claralara wrote: »
    Just wanted to say I'm honoured to share the performance podium with you... Someday TRR might be a good enough jogger to join you on a podium too!

In other news, I was thinking about this natural ability malark - I think a huge influence on my training is my mind. If I decide to do something, I'm generally as stubborn as fook not to deviate from the plan. That goes for everything, from giving up booze and junk food, to doing the dog on the booze and junk food, for a prescribed period of time. I was a veritable nazi when it came to that Berlin training schedule!! So can that stubborn/focused mindset/attitude be included with one's natural talents? It is, after all, an innate characteristic which can't really be nurtured.

+1 million on all this. The is how people who are successful at one sport turn their hand to an other and are often great also. They know the hard works that it takes and won't settle for 2nd place.

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    So can that stubborn/focused mindset/attitude be included with one's natural talents? It is, after all, an innate characteristic which can't really be nurtured.

The way i look at it natural ability is never fully realised unless nurtured properly etc therefore being stubborn is a huge bonus. Stubbornness and hard work can over come a lack of natural ability but natural ability can only paper over the cracks without hard work!

I will ignore your podium quip.

Happy Christmas MFF hope you're lashing into the turkey and beer, let yourself go over the Christmas period. I did a bit of unintentional beer milie training yesterday myself. Had a few beers in the inlaws and had to run around the corner to pick up one of the kids toys, easily 400 metre run, came back had another beer and 10 minutes later had to run around again to turn the turkey off :) I'll be honest I don't think I'm built for beer miling, was fooked.com

FYI I ran a 3 miler in 15.05 today* ;)

*dont panic, it was a short course :)

Advertisement