Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 2.30 Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

rom wrote: »
    +1 million on all this. The is how people who are successful at one sport turn their hand to an other and are often great also. They know the hard works that it takes and won't settle for 2nd place.

Reading the comments here reminded me of this vid, so I thought I'd share :o

http://youtu.be/Sk56VxaeqEQ?t=24s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Donelson wrote: »
    Reading the comments here reminded me of this vid, so I thought I'd share :o

http://youtu.be/Sk56VxaeqEQ?t=24s

Exactly. This is why the OP is a good runner because this is his mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

If I was to list the main reasons I have improved at a pretty quick rate over the last 4-5 months i would say:

1 - Hard work.
    2 - Realisation that I am NOT a good runner and need to work hard.
    3 - Training with lots of people that are fitter, faster and better than me.
    4 - Not training for a short term goal. The next race is not that important. The race in 1/2/3 years time is important.

Off to Uganda for a few weeks today so probably will not be able to log. Hopefully I manage to get in some training in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Uganda!!!!!! Are they free from WADA testers or something?

Wed 16th Jan
    6.58 miles @ 6.32

Thurs 17th
    35 mins slow as hell. 41 degrees today.

Fri 18th
    9 miles easy

Sat 19th
    4.64 miles @ 6.27
    4.46 miles @ 6.26

Sun 20th
    9 miles @ 6.45

Mon 21st
    9 miles @ 6.38

2 plus weeks in Uganda was a write off as it was impossible to run at all. As such, I have lost a lot of fitness. Back running last week as above but feeling like crap most of the time. Run today was a bit better so hopefully pick up. Another week of just logging some random miles and I will see where I am at.

My first run of 2012 was about 900 meters at probably 9/10 minute mile pace and the year ended with 9.15/34.17/2.48 yearly bests for 3k/10k/marathon. First run of 2013 was 6.5 miles at 6.30ish so interesting to see what I can do if i keep the motivation up and the body healthy.

• Advertisement

Tues 22nd

I volunteered to pace some of the weaker grades of a Victorian Milers Club meet. I thought I would just do 1 or 2 1500's but ended up doing 3 800s and 2 1500s. Took them through these times:

800 - 67s
    800 - 61s
    800 - 66s
    1500 - 1100 meters at 76 pace
    1500 - 1100 meters at 74 pace

Turned out to be one of the most enjoyable days running ever. Also was a decent blow out and showed I am still in OK shape after the break, I was very comfortable throughout the night.

Wed 23rd
    10 miles @ 7 min/mile.

Recovery day that went pear shaped for me. Knee acting up badly again. It is the same issue as 6 weeks before the marathon. Not happy at all as I was ready to commit to a training block. Pretty down about it. Will take another break and see where I am. If it ends up being a decent lay off, I;m not sure I have the will to build up the fitness again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Wicked- I had read that thread but had no idea it was.you that started it. I think the best post in it was one that said something like "they aren't doing anything currently illegal but they aren't really running clean either as they are doing stuff thats years ahead of the game". I wanna believe in Rupp but that 3:50 was pretty unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I saw the name floating about letsrun but figured you had a US counter part. That T shirt was brilliant fair play do agree with you was only talking to someone about it the other day and they made the point there are so many pro athletes who will say they know for a fact X, Y and Z are dirty yet never step up and say anything despite having any no reason to keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Much respect Patrick, the questions need to be asked. If guys like Rupp having nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear. I also agree with your sentiment if (and I mean if, this is not an accusation) guys like Farah and Rupp are found to be doping that would pretty much put a curtain down on my interest in competitive athletics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Not sure about Rupp but a leap to 1:42 after years at 1:45 is simply not believeable.

Good work.

Two thing that seemed strange to me was the recent interview of Rupp after his mile PB. Now I was thinking this guy talks like his voice ain't broken or something and by god he does twitch a lot. Looking back at his older interview his voice seems deeper and he doesn't have all the twitches but then again it could be as he was interviewed just after a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

rom wrote: »
    Two thing that seemed strange to me was the recent interview of Rupp after his mile PB. Now I was thinking this guy talks like his voice ain't broken or something and by god he does twitch a lot. Looking back at his older interview his voice seems deeper and he doesn't have all the twitches but then again it could be as he was interviewed just after a race.

Not so sure voice changes and twitches are signs of doping....

drquirky wrote: »
    Not so sure voice changes and twitches are signs of doping....
    I don't think it is too. Could be just stress or something.

You have probably read this from letsrun but other may not have. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question

Best quote I think was "Our kids have Santa; we have Lance and Barry and A-Rod and everyone else."

Wed 20th Feb
    7 miles

Thurs 21st
    9 miles

3 nothing runs last week. Few more miles this week. Body seems OK. Just trying to tick along at the moment and find some motivation.

Body seems OK. Just trying to tick along at the moment and find some motivation.

Picture me at the finish line of the great ireland run doing this to you

middle_finger.png

hope that helps ;)

Not much logging over the last while as there has not been much to log. Decided to set a new, specific goal and try to get back training consistently. After considering abandoning the log, I think I will keep it up as it worked well for motivation last time. I also think it would be interesting to log from being a 50 minute 10k guy to a 2.3x marathon runner in one place.

So........

Goal: Run 2.30.xx in Melbourne marathon on October 13th.

It is an ambitious goal but if I am going to commit, I may as well aim high. I will be getting coached/advised by someone this time around and hopefully will have more group training.

Wed 13th
    7 miles trot

Thurs 14th
    7 mile trot

Fri 15th
    8 mile trot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Looking forward to reading your log and good luck with it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Not much logging over the last while as there has not been much to log. Decided to set a new, specific goal and try to get back training consistently. After considering abandoning the log, I think I will keep it up as it worked well for motivation last time. I also think it would be interesting to log from being a 50 minute 10k guy to a 2.3x marathon runner in one place.

So........

Goal: Run 2.30.xx in Melbourne marathon on October 13th.

It is an ambitious goal but if I am going to commit, I may as well aim high. I will be getting coached/advised by someone this time around and hopefully will have more group training.

Wed 13th
    7 miles trot

Thurs 14th
    7 mile trot

Fri 15th
    8 mile trot

What percentage of your heart rate are these trots at?

• Advertisement

moneymad wrote: »
    What percentage of your heart rate are these trots at?

I have no idea. I've never worn a heart rate monitor and probably never will.

All miles 6.50-7.20 mins anyway.

I have no idea. I've never worn a heart rate monitor and probably never will.

All miles 6.50-7.20 mins anyway.
    Is this the pace you're doing all your easy running?

Is this the pace you're doing all your easy running?

There or thereabouts but probably more slow running (7 m/m plus) this time around as I am not starting completely from scratch so I will hope for more quality sessions. I would find it difficult to run at anything over 7.15 pace though.

There or thereabouts but probably more slow running (7 m/m plus) this time around as I am not starting completely from scratch so I will hope for more quality sessions. I would find it difficult to run at anything over 7.15 pace though.
    Is there any fear you skipped ahead too much and not gotten the most out of your easy runs?

Is there any fear you skipped ahead too much and not gotten the most out of your easy runs?

What do you think I skipped? These are pretty easy runs for me that run into slightly steady sometimes. A 7.15 mile is strolling pace for me. Sometime I get into a rythm and start moving slightly quicker than I should on an easy but what does it matter? I'm not very fit right now and building a base. I believe steady running is the core part of that.

The focus on running slow miles that I see all over boards is totally counter productive if you want to improve to a decent level in my opinion. I'm aiming to run 2.30 not 3.30 or 4.30. An hour at 8 minute miles would be a waste of time I could spend training.

What do you think I skipped? These are pretty easy runs for me that run into slightly steady sometimes. A 7.15 mile is strolling pace for me. Sometime I get into a rythm and start moving slightly quicker than I should on an easy but what does it matter? I'm not very fit right now and building a base. I believe steady running is the core part of that.

The focus on running slow miles that I see all over boards is totally counter productive if you want to improve to a decent level in my opinion. I'm aiming to run 2.30 not 3.30 or 4.30. An hour at 8 minute miles would be a waste of time I could spend training.

It does matter if you go a little faster than you should be going.You miss out on training the fibers to their full potential. You bypass them.

Slow mileage is counter productive? It's not. Obviously an hour at 8mm is a waste for you, as you said 7.15 is your base building pace.

It does matter if you go a little faster than you should be going.You miss out on training the fibers to their full potential. You bypass them.

Slow mileage is counter productive? It's not. Obviously an hour at 8mm is a waste for you, as you said 7.15 is your base building pace.

Agree to disagree. I know what works for me and the results have been there. I don't believe everything is the same for each person. The downside of all the great online training plans out there is that they remove the idea of training to suit the individual. They also put out the thought that there are set rules that everyone should mindlessly follow and ignore that different people improve at different rates.

Personally, I find running at anything more than marathon pace plus 45 seconds a waste of time. Whatever about the physical issues, it would bore me to tears. That is all specific to me though.

Agree to disagree. I know what works for me and the results have been there. I don't believe everything is the same for each person. The downside of all the great online training plans out there is that they remove the idea of training to suit the individual. They also put out the thought that there are set rules that everyone should mindlessly follow and ignore that different people improve at different rates.

Personally, I find running at anything more than marathon pace plus 45 seconds a waste of time. Whatever about the physical issues, it would bore me to tears. That is all specific to me though.

Agree, with you big time regards generic training plans. They should act as a guide not a recipe that must not be altered in any way.

I think moneymad was just trying to emphasise the benefits of some slower running. Again I can see your point and based on your natural aerobic ability etc, I'd agree that anything over 7.15 is probably a jog but the odd down day of a slower run here or there can have benefits. Acts as a rest day essentially but you still get a bit of conditioning. Also because it's so slow you're probably more inclined to burn a bit more fat than glycogen as the body has time to break down stored fats. I don't know if there is any real science to back that little fat burning fact up but I've either read it somewhere or it has been implnted in my head :)

Anyway best of luck with the goal. Definitely achievable but will require a good consistent few months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

TRR wrote: »
    Agree, with you big time regards generic training plans. They should act as a guide not a recipe that must not be altered in any way.

I think moneymad was just trying to emphasise the benefits of some slower running. Again I can see your point and based on your natural aerobic ability etc, I'd agree that anything over 7.15 is probably a jog but the odd down day of a slower run here or there can have benefits. Acts as a rest day essentially but you still get a bit of conditioning. Also because it's so slow you're probably more inclined to burn a bit more fat than glycogen as the body has time to break down stored fats. I don't know if there is any real science to back that little fat burning fact up but I've either read it somewhere or it has been implnted in my head :)

Anyway best of luck with the goal. Definitely achievable but will require a good consistent few months

I did read an article recently (my brain's not working today though to remember by whom) but it was about marathon runners running in glycogen burning zones and not running enough in the fat burning (lower intensity) zones. Resulting in not being able to draw on fat as a fuel late in the marathon - when I stop trying to remember where I read it, it will come to me later :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »

8/1 shot i reckon. Everything has to go right. Sub 6 miles for the distance is pretty much a different sport to what I ran last year.

Advertisement