Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone at home Customers - Change to T&Cs from Oct 1st

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Seeing as most of their customers are ex BT Broadband I suppose I should highlight a few charges

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/otherathomecharges

UK fixed lines 9c (this was included in your free calls with BT)
    USA & Canada fixed lines 9c ( that was 5c a minute with BT)

Calling mobiles anywhere but Ireland and UK is a real wallet rape.

East Europe mobile 89c
    Australia and NZ mobile 89c
    Rest of the world mobile 145c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Seeing as most of their customers are ex BT Broadband I suppose I should highlight a few charges

UK fixed lines 9c (this was included in your free calls with BT)
    USA & Canada fixed lines 9c ( that was 5c a minute with BT)

Calling mobiles anywhere but Ireland and UK is a real wallet rape.

East Europe mobile 89c
    Australia and NZ mobile 89c
    Rest of the world mobile 145c

Are these charges listed above the present charges if you moved from BT, or are they the new proposed charges do you know? I know 2 line holders who wouldn't be aware of these kind of changes but would like to advise them if the terms are changing to be much more expensive for them?

Best contect Vodafone by email and clarify, then post their answer here. I have warned 2 ex BT customers of this and urged them to clarify or else moderate their call patterns in future ....or use Skype or the new Google Voice service :)

I'm afraid the two I know wouldn't even know what skype is and couldn't even send an email :P They don't use it for international mobiles anyway.. I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

the 2 euro paper bill with catch a lot of people. says they will charge it to anyone who dosent opt for online billing. also their off-peak is now 7pm to 7am changed from 8am to 6pm to reflect the same as eircom's. this will also catch a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Darren

Hiya folks,
    The link we had up there for ex BT customers hadn't been updated correctly (it was showing the Vodafone at home tariffs), but should now have the correct info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Hiya folks,
    The link we had up there for ex BT customers hadn't been updated correctly (it was showing the Vodafone at home tariffs), but should now have the correct info.

We only changed to vodafone from Eircom last month. does that mean we are affected from october 1st or does our terms stand till the end of the 12 month contract? if not then I will be cancelling....

Hiya,
    It's a change to the terms of your contract from October 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Darren

I'm current on free local, national and UK landline calls. Is this going to end?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This also applies to Perlico, they are also changing their T&C's as they are owned by Vodafone.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    This also applies to Perlico, they are also changing their T&C's as they are owned by Vodafone.

Hiya,
    Perlico have their own Ts and Cs, and their customers are not affected by this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

cormie wrote: »
    Are these charges listed above the present charges if you moved from BT, or are they the new proposed charges do you know? I know 2 line holders who wouldn't be aware of these kind of changes but would like to advise them if the terms are changing to be much more expensive for them?

1.45 to rest of World??? Jesus I'm cancelling with them straight away. It used to be only 30c for Europe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hiya,
    Perlico have their own Ts and Cs, and their customers are not affected by this change.

Sorry just to clafify didn't mean to confuse anyone.

I didn't mean the specific charges in this thread (call charges) I meant they are also changing their Terms & Conditions.

Ala notice in Irish Indo and http://perlico.com/info/terms/
    The terms and conditions set out in the “Home Phone and Internet Services”, and the “Pricing Guide” will apply to all Perlico customers from 01 October 2010.
    The changes include (but are not limited to):

1. Payment by Direct Debit is a mandatory condition for the service. Customers who subsequently cancel their direct debit mandate may have their service restricted or, as a last resort, terminated. However, Perlico will in all cases contact the customer prior to any termination.
    2. The default option for all new Perlico customers is for online billing. Any Perlico customer who orders the service on or after the 1st September 2010, and opts for paper billing, will be charged €2 for each paper bill. Perlico recognises that not every customer can avail of a fixed broadband service. Therefore, on a case-by-case basis, Perlico may not apply this charge to customers who ordered the service prior to the 1st September 2010 and did not avail of a fixed broadband service. For environmental reasons, Perlico encourages all customers to sign up for online billing.
    3. Customers’ monthly download allowance is changing to a “usage allowance” for all bundles (defined as the sum of download plus upload broadband usage).
    4. Offpeak hours are changing to the following times:
    7am – 7pm Mon-Fri, and all weekend. Weekend is 7pm Fri – 7am Mon.

Ahhhhhhh....I understand now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Darren,

Again.... I'm currently on free local, national and UK landline calls. Is this going to end?

Please reply!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can anyone say if customers are being contacted individually about these changes? It should not be acceptable that notifications of changes of Terms and Conditions can be confined to websites or newspaper advertisments?

Is a customer expected to visit a website daily or pore over newspapers to be aware of changes in Terms and Conditions? :rolleyes:

(And this is a general observation not specifically directed at Vodafone).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

Vodafone won't spell it out in this thread,.but i will ...if u don't agree with changes,don't renew your contract: small print taken from vodafones irish times Notice..paraphrasing here 'an operator shall notify its subscribers to a modification in conditions of a contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty within 30 days from this notification if you do not accept this modification'.if you are happy with the contract ,do nothing. If you are unhappy ..act soon

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I find that as an ex BT customer with the
    Vodafone At Home Option 3 + Talk Anytime
    landline calls to UK landline are unchanged.

The download allowance remains the same for 24MBs customers too.

Established this via boards, Vodafone website and phone call to the company. This info could have been included with my bill.
    I agree that it would be easy, ethical and mannerly to inform people of this by more direct means.

sincere113 wrote: »
    Darren,

Again.... I'm currently on free local, national and UK landline calls. Is this going to end?

Please reply!!

No, you will have no changes to your inclusive calls.

Customers are not being contacted individually, the usual methods of website and newspaper ads are being followed in this case.

Customers are not being contacted individually, the usual methods of website and newspaper ads are being followed in this case.

I find that quite unacceptable myself if their costs are going to increase. The two people I know who changed from BT to Vodafone wouldn't see a notice in the paper and they certainly wouldn't have any reason to visit the vodafone website. I advised them initially to go with BT, BT changed to Vodafone, and now Vodafone are changing something I'm not even entirely sure of myself, so I feel it's now up to ME to inform them rather than Vodafone informing them because I know they won't be informed unless I do it.

You have everyone's postal address, you post bills, why can't you post this too?

• Advertisement

Can you tell me why this is considered appropriate? Is a customer supposed to read a newspaper (and which newspaper?) every day from cover to cover and visit a website also daily on the off chance that a company might change its terms and conditions? I notice that the changes are hardly displayed prominently on the website either.

I doubt that Vodafone or any other company would accept a customer communicating with them via the customer's website?:rolleyes:

I find that quite unacceptable myself if their costs are going to increase. The two people I know who changed from BT to Vodafone wouldn't see a notice in the paper and they certainly wouldn't have any reason to visit the vodafone website. I advised them initially to go with BT, BT changed to Vodafone, and now Vodafone are changing something I'm not even entirely sure of myself, so I feel it's now up to ME to inform them rather than Vodafone informing them because I know they won't be informed unless I do it.

You have everyone's postal address, you post bills, why can't you post this too?

Because everyone would then know what was going on? It should be a basic requirement (for all companies) to notify customers individually of any proposed changes, and not just summaries but the exact wording of the changes. Also dated versions of previous Terms and Conditions should be readily available for customers to refer to. It is hardly asking a lot for a company with integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

The two people I know who changed from BT to Vodafone wouldn't see a notice in the paper and they certainly wouldn't have any reason to visit the vodafone website. I advised them initially to go with BT, BT changed to Vodafone, and now Vodafone are changing something I'm not even entirely sure of myself, so I feel it's now up to ME to inform them rather than Vodafone informing them because I know they won't be informed unless I do it.

If you look here there are two different pricing schemes; one for those who signed up to Vodafone and another for those who are ex BT customers. If those people you know did not explicitly sign up to a new Vodafone package then they remain on the old contract and rates. I have not figured out what if anything is changing for those (myself included) customers on Oct 1st..

Hiya,

The paper billing charge is only for new connections, if a decision is made to start applying this to existing customers, individual contact will be made first.
    It's unlikely the two people you mention will notice any difference, as peak times have always been 7-7 for BT customers.

These reasons are, in my opinion, why individual contact has not been made, as many customers will be virtually unaffected by the changes, and a letter will simply cause confusion.
    In addition, the methods used to provide this information are those considered standard for many companies.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there not changes to international call costs? One of the people I mention use the phone for international calls quite often, this could hike his bill up by a fortune with the likes of 145c per minute for calls :eek:

Also, the other person recently made a slight change to their package when I signed up to vodafone mobile (I was always on o2) and I put my name on the bill too so they could avail of the discount.

Can you please explain what changes they are both likely to face? :)

I think a letter, or better still a leaflet, would explain things a lot better than an ad in the paper. It could be tailored to each customer in a what does this mean for you type presentation.

No mention in the tariff scheme of calls to Vodafone mobiles from Landlines. I take it these are 20c a minute even though there surely is no termination charge Voda > Voda

Thats a markup of around 14c a minute ex vat on a call WITHIN Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

I'm astonished that this could be considered legal (at least by vodafone). The "posted in a national newspaper" argument only works for the government - they also provide access to information through the many state organs.

What if the situation was reversed? A customer posts on their personal website that they are changing the terms of their contract with vodafone so that all calls after one month will be free. Is the onus on vodafone to visit that site and contact the customer to request termination of the contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In addition, the methods used to provide this information are those considered standard for many companies.

This is standard practice lately, that's true, and I believe O2 and Three recently did the same, but it doesn't make it right. I would not consider a newspaper ad and a website notice to satisfy the requirement that states
    an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification
    as you have no way to know if the subscriber was notified or not.

Originally Posted by Vodafone: Darren

And who exactly is doing the consideration?

• Advertisement

Comreg, in this case.

Advertisement