Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Islands in Grange

Options
  • 01-09-2010 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I see Grange is getting more traffic islands why i ask? Sure at this rate why not make the N4 from the county boundy to Sligo town on road with a Traffic island end to end and a 40km speed limit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The Director of Services responsible for roads and Infrastructure is a native of Grange and lives in Grange.
    Could there be a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

sligono1 wrote: »
    I see Grange is getting more traffic islands why i ask? Sure at this rate why not make the N4 from the county boundy to Sligo town on road with a Traffic island end to end and a 40km speed limit
    Just being a "pedantic Pat" but it's not the N4 that runs through Grange, it's the N15 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Why not by pass it altogether?

That swing down into the village is unecessary why doesn't the road just keep straight with the village to the left hand side?

sligopark wrote: »

That swing down into the village is unecessary why doesn't the road just keep straight with the village to the left hand side?

The new N15 should run east of the village but when will it be built? your guess is as good as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sligono1 wrote: »

not a bad idea to be honest, its a built up area, on a main national road, traffic calming is needed to maintain the 50kpm limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

sligopark wrote: »

This is Sligo don't forget, sure we invented the 'throughpass'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

This is Sligo don't forget, sure we invented the 'throughpass'.

classic and so right

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

TheQ47 wrote: »
    Just being a "pedantic Pat" but it's not the N4 that runs through Grange, it's the N15 ;)

no problem silly mistake on my behalf

i travel the country alot through work and the reason i flaged this topic was that i find the road from sligo to bundoran a twenty mile stretch of road has high concentration of these islands,speed limits are needed in built areas and villages yes but is there need for so many of these islands,the cost of putting another island in Grange and all them islands in Rathcormack recently,im sure could it could be money better spent on the roads elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

In fairness,people do fly through Grange though,and I'm never really down that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

greetings wrote: »
    In fairness,people do fly through Grange though,and I'm never really down that area.

there is a long run into it where the speed is 60km and the road quite wide, and have seen plenty going over the limit, hopefully an extra island or two will make them slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Exactly. It's 60kmh - 50kmh traffic island or no traffic island. Some vehicles go through Grange at ridiculous speeds. Pulling out of either Texaco or Supervalu and trying to turn right is impossible sometimes but I see the unmarked van there a good bit lately so hopefully they'll be getting a few nice surprises in the post.

This of course doesn't make them slow down in the first place. I haven't seen a visible manned speed check in either Cliffoney, Grange, Drumcliff or Rathcormack in I don't know how long.

I don't know who decided where the islands should go, but there is one just before you turn left into the pharmacy now. You now have to almost stop and do a 90 degree turn to pull into the car park. The cars behind can't go around you because of the island. I can see a few bumps happening!

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Exactly. It's 60kmh - 50kmh traffic island or no traffic island. Some vehicles go through Grange at ridiculous speeds. Pulling out of either Texaco or Supervalu and trying to turn right is impossible sometimes but I see the unmarked van there a good bit lately so hopefully they'll be getting a few nice surprises in the post.

This of course doesn't make them slow down in the first place. I haven't seen a visible manned speed check in either Cliffoney, Grange, Drumcliff or Rathcormack in I don't know how long.

I don't know who decided where the islands should go, but there is one just before you turn left into the pharmacy now. You now have to almost stop and do a 90 degree turn to pull into the car park. The cars behind can't go around you because of the island. I can see a few bumps happening!

There is a similar problem for traffic turning right into SuperValu. A filter lane would be a sensible solution but Sligo County Council don't do sensible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I think it should work,I for one would also slow down considerably when I see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Essexboy wrote: »
    There is a similar problem for traffic turning right into SuperValu. A filter lane would be a sensible solution but Sligo County Council don't do sensible!

Agree 100% with you,i had a chat with a mate from grange last night about this topic and the feeling this new island has left things more dangerous when you now pull out of Texaco where there was a kind of filter lane /hard shoulder you now have to go into the main lane of traffic,as well its now alot more difficult negotiating the entrance to the pharmacy.also at Supervalue there is a danger of getting rearended while turning into their carpark.
    The traffic Islands are not slowing down the traffic and the Feeling out there is the council have been the main contributor with their restrictions on developers and daft notions of street scapes,have now left the road in state of a big accident waiting to happen,Unless they sort out filter lanes.

The County Council have screwed up (again) on this section.

Approaching from Sligo Town direction you are told that the speed limit is 50kph BUT approaching from the opposite direction you are told that the limit is 60 kph!

Advertisement