Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs'

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

story
    Melbourne, Aug 26 (ANI): Astronomers are predicting that a massive solar storm, much bigger in potential than the one that caused spectacular light shows on Earth earlier this month, is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs.
    Several US media outlets have reported that NASA was warning the massive flare this month was just a precursor to a massive solar storm building that had the potential to wipe out the entire planet's power grid.

Sounds like it's something we should take seriously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

cool

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Original article from Australasian Science. A lot less dramatic/alarming than Yahoo! would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Several US media outlets have reported that NASA was warning the massive flare this month was just a precursor to a massive solar storm building that had the potential to wipe out the entire planet's power grid.
    Interesting turn of phrase there.

It doesn't say, "NASA was warning", it says, "Some people claim that NASA was warning..."

This solar maximum won't occur until 2013 and will be very weak by all accounts. The last one occured in the year 2000. I don't remember and global catastrophies that year, anyone else?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

seamus wrote: »
    Interesting turn of phrase there.

It doesn't say, "NASA was warning", it says, "Some people claim that NASA was warning..."

This solar maximum won't occur until 2013 and will be very weak by all accounts. The last one occured in the year 2000. I don't remember and global catastrophies that year, anyone else?

Yes, that article is sensatialism at its finest, if the solar maximum occurs in 2013 or 2014 its not that appealing to most people for obvious enough reasons.
    The general consensus among general astronomers (and certainly solar astronomers) is that this coming Solar maximum (2012 but possibly later into 2013) will be the most violent in 100 years," News.com.au quoted astronomy lecturer and columnist Dave Reneke as saying

The General consensus among professional astronomers is that the coming solar maximum will almost be at its weakest recorded in the last 100 (~50) years.

The coming solar maximum is expected to result in yet another reversal of the poles. a phenomenon believe to occur every solar cycle that we still dont understand that headlined back in 2001

Unfortunately we still know very little about our sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

seamus wrote: »
    The last one occured in the year 2000. I don't remember and global catastrophies that year, anyone else?
    I dont know about that, the damage was catastrophic its just people didnt notice because they were still recovering from the Y2k bug:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

wylo wrote: »
    I dont know about that, the damage was catastrophic its just people didnt notice because they were still recovering from the Y2k bug:D

I noticed, it was a tough year...

Advertisement