Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Furniture, Melbourne

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there,

I'm currently in the process of moving into an unfurnished apartment during October in Melbourne. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on getting some nice furniture and kitchen appliances for cheap. I have no transport either so would have to figure out how to get get delivered to my new house.

I presume Gumtree and just keeping an eye out for garage sales etc is probably my best bet.

Cheers,

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Brian I have 2 wardrobes in fairly good nick you can have for free cant transport them. You should look for furniture auctions in your area where are you? you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spanish_sahara

Thanks Zambia, I haven't actually secured an apartment yet, still looking hard but wont know what i need until next month. Hopefully I'll be lucky and find a half furnished place.

Thanks for the offer though

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Thanks Zambia, I haven't actually secured an apartment yet, still looking hard but wont know what i need until next month. Hopefully I'll be lucky and find a half furnished place.

Thanks for the offer though

The vast majority of apartments are unfurnished over here.

Another place to look would be in the Brotherhood of St. Lawrence op-shops. There's a big one near me in Brunswick. Has loads of furniture, white goods etc. Can pick up some good stuff cheap. Electric goods are tested and come with a 3 month (I think) guarantee.

They can wait till then not planning on doing anything with them if you need robes in oct just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

eBay, St Vinnies & Salvation Army.

I bought a black Leather lounge suite (2x 2 seater and 1 x armchair) on eBay for $205 three years ago, just sold it last week on eBay for $133.50.

Got a Queen Bed inc Mattress out of St Vinnies for $70 5 years ago and I still got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

There is also an IKEA in Richmond (Victoria Gardens) that have a delivery service.

Dont forget in October just drive around a few suburbs anything out the front of a house is yours to take away. I see furniture out on sidewalks in Suburbs every night. Come October it will be less wet and the stuff will be fine for starting of.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Big W in QV centre, Swanston St for small kitchen appliances, cutlery, crockery etc.
    Bring along an empty suitcase or 2 and get it all in one go.

Fantastic Furniture, Richmond has some cheap furniture, you get what you pay for really.
    They deliver, but it costs, best to order it all in the one place and get it all delivered at once to avoid high delivery costs.

Have a look on Gumtree but used prices are often as high as new and most are well worn. Private sellers are mostly out in the sticks and obviously won't deliver so you'll have to arrange transport. Not worth it in my opinion.

Ignore the above, move into your apartment and put an ad on the noticeboard (usually near mailboxes) looking for furniture/kitchen stuff etc etc. Many people move in and out of apartment blocks daily so it's easy to bargain with people for cheap stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Brian I have 2 wardrobes in fairly good nick you can have for free cant transport them. You should look for furniture auctions in your area where are you? you

Brian,

I've a Ute. If you need a hand or a lift with the wardrobes some evening/weekend let me know.

Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Dont forget in October just drive around a few suburbs anything out the front of a house is yours to take away. I see furniture out on sidewalks in Suburbs every night. Come October it will be less wet and the stuff will be fine for starting of.

Great idea, rent a van or ute from rentabomb and cruise carlton north area scoping for goods.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

They can wait till then not planning on doing anything with them if you need robes in oct just ask.

Just curious. Why October? Are there alot of people moving that time of year or is it weather related?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

jank wrote: »
    Just curious. Why October? Are there alot of people moving that time of year or is it weather related?

Weather before October in Melbourne any furniture left out will be virtually granted to have been rained all over.

jank wrote: »

He said he was moving in October, I will be moving around Nov Dec

Great idea, rent a van or ute from rentabomb and cruise carlton north area scoping for goods.

Yeah if anyone asks what you are doing especially VicPol dont use Brendans terms....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah if anyone asks what you are doing especially VicPol dont use Brendans terms....

Yeah just tell them youre looking for coloured people to carry out a racist attack on. Theyll be cool with it.

Yeah just tell them youre looking for coloured people to carry out a racist attack on. Theyll be cool with it.

meeow :p

Advertisement