Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beckett College Pre-medical course

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

there is an ad for it right outside my house so I was curious all right! I don't get it though - is it a repeat LC course or a passage to Hungary? nearly 10 grand a year and HPAT prep is extra!! AND - "There are no laboratories as it is assumed that students will have already completed the practical components of the relevant subjects."
    Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

From my understanding

Year 1 is like repeating the leaving but only for science subjects with some other bits and bobs.
    Year 1 and 2 is something akin to 1st and 2nd year college sciences with some medical spin on it.

If you do year 1 and still don't get a CAO offer, i'm sure they courage you to do year 2 and 3 afterwards you'll be expected to get an offer from the hungary medical school (Pecs) to do 4 years of their medical degree.

I'm not really sure who they're aiming this at? Obviously people who are very wealthy or have wealthy parents. To spend 30k on a non-HEA approved Science(pre-med) course with the hope of getting an offer to go to Hungary at the end of it?

I think you'd be mad to do it, you'd be better off just doing a Science degree and going GEM route via Gamsat here. With a good science degree from Ireland I was under the impression you're almost guaranteed to get an offer from Hungary.

When I heard the ad on the radio I just thought some enterprising individual had come up with a Gamsat/pre-med 1 year course people with non-science degrees could do as a good set up for the Gamsat and for actual medical school.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I called the number and left a message on the day of results. Still haven't called me back :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lifeline

it is a pity that you do not understand. EUR15,000 is for the first and second year of the full year of the medical programme as controlled by the Hungarians in Dublin. German students are paying EUR16,500 for this each year. It is more costly to deliver it in Ireland apparently, when you go to Hungary after two years you get into year three which I am told is only USD13,500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

ok 7500 a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Thought this looked familiar, perhaps this thread should be merged with http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056003301

And as another board member has advised, be cautious
    spurious wrote: »
    Be careful. They might have a fancy website, but that's easy do.

From http://www.imn.ie/index.php/news/1821-beckett-colleges-health-courses-not-recognised-here

A private college which only recently agreed to discontinue its nursing programmes because they were not approved by An Bord Altranais is now planning to run them again from September, IMN has discovered.
    According to An Bord Altranais, the College made the undertaking to stop its nursing courses after the Nursing Board put up a notice on its website advising prospective nursing students that it did not approve the undergraduate and masters courses provided by Beckett College Dublin, as was previously reported by IMN.

While the College has gone on to remove all references to the programmes, mainly targeted at students educated outside Western Europe, from its website www.beckettcollege.com, a receptionist revealed the College would offer an €8,000 per year nursing undergraduate degree programme from September, as well as others in pharmacy, pre-medicine, and radiography, all starting next year. The fees for the other prog*rammes were still being determined, the receptionist said.

The Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland has only accredited three pharmacy degree courses offered by University College Cork, Trinity College Dublin and the RCSI, and said it was not aware of any pending applications for approval.

On its website, Beckett College states that the BSc in radiography will make graduates eligible to apply for registration with the Health Professions Council (HPC) as diagnostic radiographers.

However, the HPC in the UK said the radiography programme delivered in Dublin is not on its list of approved programmes nor will it be approved in the near future, and the recently-established Health and Social Care Professionals Council in Ireland only recognises courses offered by the College of Radiographers, National University Ireland and University College Dublin, and has yet to start approving new courses.

On the pre-medicine qualification course, meant to prepare international students for entry into dental or medical schools in Ireland, a Medical Council spokes*person said the Council does not have jurisdiction over courses other than those leading to the award of recognised registerable qualifications entitling a person to registration with the Council or postgraduate courses leading to completion of training. “The Beckett College pre-medicine foundation course does not fall within this criteria and is not accredited by the Medical Council,” they said.

However, Fine Gael health spokesperson Dr James Reilly said there was a need for the regulation of such courses, otherwise people could be relieved of their money without any guarantee they would receive quality education. Medical schools could be requested to assess such courses, he suggested.

Advertisement