Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3347NWG Netopia & NGB?

• 01-09-2010 7:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I’m wondering if this modem above is compatible with NGB. I’m with Vodafone and was upgraded to whatever they are calling NGB yesterday but despite the modem saying that DSL is connected and I can see the line is syncing at the new speed 8XXX/8XX it is not getting an IP address so as to connect to the outside world. Vodafone said that the modem is not suitable. I borrowed a Vodafone Bewan modem and I’m getting the same result as on the Netopia. :confused:

Vodafone's want €80 for a new modem, or to sign a contract for another year. I’m over 2 years with them and never had a working modem from them. I got a Bewan ages ago which never worked and VF suggested that I instead use my Netopia and send them back the other one.

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it is some sort of exchange fault, the 3347 is fine. what exchange is affected??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

It's Bray. Thanks Spongebob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ask them if they have a Bray IP Address issue in their support forum http://eircomconnect.eircom.net/Forum/ instead of wasting time with the support staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

he is with vodafone so the guys on the eircom support forum wont be able to help.

the modem is compatable and you proved its not the cause of the problem. sounds like the package change has not completed fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think them 3347 modems only work up to 3 meg. Think you might need a new modem.

• Advertisement

My 3347 was syncing happily at 7mb up to the day before yesterday. The Bewan modem that i tried is in use by a friend who was also on 7mb with it so i reckon it’s definitely an exchange problem. A neighbour with Perlico (same company) told me they have the very same problem since yesterday too. Sounds like VF/eircom have just made a balls of the upgrade at the exchange. I sent a PM to Darren on the VF forum and he is looking into it.

Another update; I checked my 3347 modem on a neighbours line and its syncing there fine at 8064/832 (kbps)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

THere is a firmware update for the 3347 so that it can support adsl2+ as well, up to 12 meg:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=54&E=0000000000257920779&K=6001&Sxi=11

might assist you

bear this in mind:

http://www.netopia.com/support/intl/eircom/firmwareN.html

Dardania that's great. I updated the firmware and I'm now up and running. Not sure if it was that or coincidental timing and VF getting their finger out but I guess probably more likely was the firmware update. Strange though that the modem worked fine on a neighbours DSL with the 7.4.2r2 firmware with Perlico login credentials but not on mine with Vodafone :confused:

Anywho, thanks a million all. Now I can get back downloading the internet!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

cool beans to hear that - as a matter of curiousity what speed is it syncing at?

• Advertisement

8123/828 (kbps) with a line attenuation of 34/18 dB so Im pretty happy with that.

Thanks

Advertisement