Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheeps Head or Mizen Head

• 01-09-2010 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am hoping someone could guide me or at least give me an idea on which of Sheeps Head or Mizen Head make for the nicer penninsula to cycle around. My friend and I are planning on starting in Cork and giving a few days touring around the area down to Bantry and Skibbereen and maybe Baltimore. Neither of us have ever cycled down in that part of Cork so any advice would be great. I think time restrictions will mean we can only do one of them so I am trying to get it right.

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

This might help a bit Mike, I'm just back from the area.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056008603

Can't speak for Sheeps Head, but Mizen Head, Barleycove and around was spectacular. Bring a few spare tubes!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

Fair play Nickel

Thanks a mill for putting that up. Looks exactly along the lines of what I was looking for.

Cheers

Mike

Whilst I'm on a roll...

We plan to take the Beara Gougane Barra Cycle route from Cork to Bantry. However, the Discovery maps I have, only have details of the route from Inchigeelagh to Bantry.

Can anyone provide me with details of how the route gets from Cork to Inchigeelagh - or tell me how I can find out (short of buying updated versions of the maps !).

Cheers,

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have cycled from Western Rd Cork to Inchigeela via Innisvata Rd Dripsey Coachford Macroom the R584 to Inchigeela. Beautiful cycling.
    IITC the Beara cycle route diverts from the main road at Kealkill to go down some back roads that have some very steep climbing to come out at Coomhola bridge.
    If you are heading toward Bantry then avoid these and stay on main road from Kealkill to Ballylickey to Bantry.
    Main roads in fairness are pretty quiet.
    If your touring in the area then Allihies Eyries and Healy Pass are worth a spin.

Many thanks ROK

Sounds like a plan. You have been most helpful re the route to Inchigeelagh journey. I was looking at that which I assume is the Gougane Beara one but could not nail down exactly what village to hit along the way.

Cheers

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

I've done a lot of cycling out of crookhaven (close to mizen) this year. Much prefer mizen head peninsula to sheeps head. road surface on sheeps head is awful. beautiful scenery but by the end i just wanted to be back on smooth tarmac. There's a really nice road along the north coast of the mizen peninsula. if you're coming back from mizen head towards goleen, just after the causeway on your right take the next left. think its signposted goleen scenic route.
    that said, my favourite cycle is around the beara peninsula. i'd try go for that if you can. what kind of distance are you looking at doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Thanks for all the info guys - I will need to sit down this evening with my maps and process it...

In answer to your question Mahoo: the plan is to do around 50 miles a day. We have 3 and half days - starting at Cork; then on to Bantry; then Skibbereen/Baltimore; then Kinsale; and finally back to Cork.

The high-light is clearly going to be day 2 - which is why we are keen on spending time on the 'right' peninnsula ! Your comments are consistent with others I have read and make me think that the best option is to explore Mizen Head at the expense of Sheeps head (though we might go a little way down Sheeps head as there seems to be a road that crosses it about a third of the way down).

I'm also feeling confortable with day 1 now (thanks again guys) and am hoping that day 3 will simply be a case of staying as close to the south coast as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions on places to see/avoid down there, please feel free to post !!

Cheers,

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Hi Mike

When are you planning to do this?.Might hitch my wagon to your train so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Hi Mike, I was based in Bantry for 6 days recently and did:

Bantry-Durrus-Kilcrohane-Sheeps Head-Bantry
    Bantry-Glengarrif-Beara Peninsula-Castletownbere-Dursey Sound-Bantry
    Bantry-Mizen Head-Barleycove-Crookhaven-Schull-Ballydehob-Bantry

Of the 3 routes, I found the 3rd more enjoyable and had glorious weather each day. BTW, If doing Sheeps Head on a road bike, don't repeat my mistake of returning by the "Goats Path" (road on north side of peninsula). The name says it all, road suitable only for MTB's

• Advertisement
Advertisement