Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Pumpkin's for the first time

Options
  • 01-09-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi has anyone grown Pumpkins before?

I have have several 'Golden Hubbard' Plants ..and the most fruit any one plant has is 2 (Despite Loads of Flowers still being Produced and loads of insect life running about .. They have No other New Fruit Developing..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Jezko

Are they setting fruit and then then small fruits yellow and die? Or is it simply not setting anymore than 1 or 2 fruit?

Very rich soil is needed (from your previous posts dont think this is an issue for your pumpkins) and regular feeding and plenty of water (they are thirsty buggers).

If you are setting fruits but they wont develop try make sure you remove the flowers when the stem starts to swell into a fruit. I've had trouble were the rotting flowers are causing the fruit to rot.

If its only setting 1 or 2 fruit then try use a kids paint brush to cross pollinate your flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

TheFatMan wrote: »
    Hi Jezko

Are they setting fruit and then then small fruits yellow and die? Or is it simply not setting anymore than 1 or 2 fruit?

Very rich soil is needed (from your previous posts dont think this is an issue for your pumpkins) and regular feeding and plenty of water (they are thirsty buggers).

If you are setting fruits but they wont develop try make sure you remove the flowers when the stem starts to swell into a fruit. I've had trouble were the rotting flowers are causing the fruit to rot.

If its only setting 1 or 2 fruit then try use a kids paint brush to cross pollinate your flowers.

Only 1/2 Fruit per Plant, most size of a flat football at moment (some larger colouring already)

The first of the fruits did yellow and die (But in fairness I neglected them for a week or two :o ) but that was late may early June..

The were planted in May (Soil had added Humus/Compost) on a ridge/drill and Kept Moist Most of the time ... Heavy enough soil .

I understood before not to water very day but every second (Can't remember why now .. Read someplace ) But the soil is not Dry or not for long (Last few Weeks been inspecting them every Night. And feeding with a weak General purpose feed every other watering (
    Didn't want to burn the roots over feeding

Bumblebees are busy around them but as you say i'll try hand pollinate (I won't use my 2 year old just yet thanks!! :)

Seen a few flowers rot and a few effect the the Fruit (Again Earlier). But most flowers are not setting ( Wasn't sure if to expect more than 2 fruit) I read on Net we can expect up to 4/6.
    So Pollination could be the Problem ( Didn't think this would be an issue with the amount of busy bees flying about)

Thanks

Advertisement