Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Return Valve

• 01-09-2010 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have my solar installed for about a year, all working well. However I just realised I forgot to install a non return valve. Is it really necessary?

Cheers
    Pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Evergreen

There is probably a NRV built into your pump station, if it is a twin line pump station there may even be two built in NRV's

If you have no NRV then the heat from your hot water cylinder can flow backwards through the panels when the pump switches off. It will cool your tank off pretty quick in the night time, handy for keeping your panels frost free in the Winter though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Hi I dont have a pump station. Just a pump, pressure vessel etc. THanks for your reply, i will fit one soon.

If you are going to fit an NRV make sure that you use a solar rated one, ie one that can be used with glycol and rated up to 160 degrees. If you use a standard NRV the plastic ball will just melt in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Will do. Do you usually get temperatures over 100? Mine only go to a max of 47C, thats from the thermostat on the tubes.

I have 3 x 2.1 meter Austrian panels on my roof for the last 5 years, at the moment they are reading 55 degrees on the roof. It is Midday and overcast.

During the Summer my panels often went up to 120 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Pataman wrote: »
    Will do. Do you usually get temperatures over 100? Mine only go to a max of 47C, thats from the thermostat on the tubes.

WOW 47 seems pretty shít there must be something wrong somewhere

OH WAIT it's because you have no NRV :D

yeah i'd get that fitted as soon as possible :D

Advertisement