Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork (Blarney) Half-marathon, Sun 12th Sept

• 01-09-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

Starting @ 11am from Blarney GAA clubhouse. Online entry closes this Friday, €20. http://www.stfinbarrsac.com/?page_id=210

Just entered this. I'm from the area and know the route, looks like a good course. The map-my-run elevation chart shows a bit of a climb in mile 6 on the way up to Grenagh, then a gradual decline and the rest flat.

Just a little surprised to see no thread about it. Perhaps not a popular event being the week after the nationals?? Although the website says it's the Munster championship, so presumably a big thing for the southern club runners. Also it's organised by St Finbarr's AC so I guess I'm expecting something similiar to the Ballycotton 10 or the Cork-Cobh 15 in terms of organisation (i.e. on the ball).

Am probably a couple of minutes away from the 1:23 qualifying time for the New York marathon next year, but try I will ! :pac:

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 5 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    100%
    sixpack's little hatniall2jeliwallachZuppypsychozeb 5 votes
    3 stars (average)
    0%
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

ive entered this.....drove the route the other day and although the elevation shows a gradual incline from the start to grenagh, there is really only one "large" drag but its about 1.5miles long, but cover a a large elevation gain....other than that there are a few small, short inclines....

prob not the best race for a PB, but would be a good measure of where you're at fitness wise, ie, a good return in the cork half would probably be a very good(or at least better) return on a more level half marathon i guess....
    i havent ran it before but i hear it is very well organised.

im not sure how ill fare out on the hill but ill aim for sub 1:23 also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

seanynova wrote: »
    prob not the best race for a PB, but would be a good measure of where you're at fitness wise, ie, a good return in the cork half would probably be a very good(or at least better) return on a more level half marathon i guess....

People keep saying it's not a good course for a PB, but I have set my half-marathon PB on that course three times in a row.

People keep saying it's not a good course for a PB, but I have set my half-marathon PB on that course three times in a row.

maybe i should have said world/european/irish records etc, as ill be aiming for a PB there myself, but its as much to do with my training than the course im running over...

but, if you can hold a steady pace on the accent, then it would make for a fast 2nd half course and therefore.....the posibility of gaining back lost seconds, and a rewarding time!

either way, supposed to be a very good event and a big turn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

I did this one last year, heading back for more this year!! The course is tough, I actually found the cork to Cobh route a few weeks after much easier, even though it was two miles longer! But the half marathon is a very well organised event for a reasonable price. My experience last year was good, but the heat on the day made things much harder i thought, not sure how it will be this year.

anyone with info on water stations? how many/locations/cups or bottles etc.....

cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Corkie100 wrote: »
    I did this one last year, heading back for more this year!! The course is tough, I actually found the cork to Cobh route a few weeks after much easier, even though it was two miles longer! But the half marathon is a very well organised event for a reasonable price. My experience last year was good, but the heat on the day made things much harder i thought, not sure how it will be this year.

I've seen a lot of good times (< 1:30) in the results the last two years but maybe that's just because a lot of good club runners take part. :cool:

OT: Can't wait for Cork to Cobh... love that race. Real belter of a course. Only €10 according to the entry form, don't remember it being that cheap last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I did this too last year and would recommend it. Few hills to compete against for the first half, but there's a great feeling reaching the peak halfway and having a long downhill. Spectators and fellow runners were very friendly and supportive.

It was well organised and great grub and soup afterwards. I'm busy that weeked, so I'll have to give it a miss, but I'll be doing Cork to Cobh to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

4 stars (good)
    seanynova wrote: »
    anyone with info on water stations? how many/locations/cups or bottles etc.....

cheers...

Got a race pack with number etc today and the water stations are listed as being at 2m, 5m, 6.5m, 9m, 11m and finish line

Got a race pack with number etc today and the water stations are listed as being at 2m, 5m, 6.5m, 9m, 11m and finish line

i got the race pack today also, but thanks for the info anyways....looking forward to it now, will try and rest well between now and sunday morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sheena1

i was planning on attempting the blarney half marathon. however I'm not sure if I am up to it. The most I have run is 9 miles and that was 2 weeks ago. Having never done a half marathon before, would it be a big ask to run the 13.1? Also would there be many other first timers at this HM?
    Any advise would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

sheena1 wrote: »
    i was planning on attempting the blarney half marathon. however I'm not sure if I am up to it. The most I have run is 9 miles and that was 2 weeks ago. Having never done a half marathon before, would it be a big ask to run the 13.1? Also would there be many other first timers at this HM?
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Ease into it. Get over hte hill and its straight forward. Easy and you will be grand. Go hard early and it will be a long day.

4 stars (good)
    Does anyone know if the roads are closed off for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Roads are not closed for this but they have been generally quiet for the past few years. I've certainly had no problems anyway. You're probably not going to have a problem over the first two miles, in the pack - even less so if you're further ahead. After that the roads quieten considerably. Heaviest traffic is probably going to be over the last mile and a half, when runners are well spread out, but it'll still be manageable (famous last words ....from someone trying to run the SPR :eek: ). De Bar's (some of their jackets have only one 'R' :D:D ) generally have the course very well stewarded by experienced stewards.

Just wondering, as we have reached the eve of this race, does anyone else suffer from all-out hypochondria just before a big race? My illnesses and injuries will have to take a number and get in line at this stage. and every time i try to remember the last big race (by big I mean a half or full marathon for which i have a specific time target) and try to remember this feeling. But every time i say 'no. really, this time I AM actually sick/injured/maimed/inflicted withsomething incurable/:eek:.

So, what I am wondering is, we spend so much time training the bodies, what do we do to train the minds??

4 stars (good)
    That's the first HM I've run but it all seemed to be really well organised. Started on time, plenty of marshals and more than enough water stops. Well done and thanks to everyone involved from St. Finbarrs AC.

Was hoping to break 1:40 and did it in 1:38 something so was well pleased with it.

very good event, ran very well! would recommend it, its a tough challenge....
    finish was very good, gatorage, water, oranges/bananas, medal....20% discount for john buckley sports....and sandwiched/tea etc back at blarney gaa.....what more could you ask for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭niall2j

4 stars (good)
    Quickly becoming my favourite race of the year. Nice weather, great countryside, atmosphere and sandwiches after (and a PB to boot :) ), all for €25.

preliminary results on st finbarrs ac website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I hate the course - that hill is a bitch - but had a very good run. Having said that I hate it, I've only missed one (as anyone who knows me will know, that one was unavoidable) of the Barr's Half-Marathons since they started them in the mid/late '80s (even I can't remember everything :rolleyes: )

As usual, the course was well stewarded. Even though the roads are open, I had no incidents - and never had in this race.

After warming down, I was one of the last people into the hall and still managed to get sandwiches, doughnut and a pastry slice. As the previous poster indicated, this is one of the cheapest half-marathons in Ireland and, if you pre-entered, it was only €20! Where would you be going?! (Blarney! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

My 3rd year in a row doing it, good tough course with the dreaded hill, but its just one of those races ya have to do, great numbers out there today!

Def back next year, can I sign up already!?! :D

• Advertisement

Great race, knocked 7 mins off last year's time, so very happy with that. Took a while to settle into the race, was nearly relieved to hit the hill becuase i had thouhg about nothing else until then!! Great crowd outside the church in Grenagh, gave us a boost in the middle.
    In fairness to the barrs, a huge amount of their members were stewarding rather than running, you can really tell when a race is stewarded by people who normally run them, they were totally 'on the ball' with the whole thing!

Advertisement