Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van der Vaart

Options
  • 01-09-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was alerted to the availability of Van der Vaart late on Tuesday afternoon and acted quickly to thrash out personal terms with the Real Madrid man. The midfielder has spoken of his delight at agreeing a deal worth €11 million over four years and is ready to test himself in the Premier League.
    "Four years at Spurs, for €11 million, I can hardly believe it myself," Van der Vaart told De Telegraaf. "It's a pity I cannot now play against Ajax in the Champions League but I will get to face FC Twente."
    The speed of a deal came as a surprise to the player, who said: "The interest from Tottenham came very quick and I did not have much time to think. But I want to play football again and if possible every week, with a beautiful club. I 'm totally happy."
    Van der Vaart has played in Netherlands, Germany and Spain and is now looking forward to a new chapter in his career.
    "I am excited about playing in England. Whether it suits my style remains to be seen, but I think a good footballer can adapt and I am very proud of this transfer."
    The Premier League are understood to be investigating what Spurs claim were difficulties involving computer servers used in the transaction between themselves and Real, which hindered their attempts to submit the relevant paperwork on time.
    It is not the first time the governing body have assessed whether a transfer has been completed before the deadline. In February 2009, they took a day to sanction Andrei Arshavin's move to Arsenal.
    The Premier League are expected to rule on any delayed dealings by 15.00 BST on Thursday ahead of the 17.00 BST deadline for clubs to announce their 25-man squads for the season

I think this needs its own thread now as the window has closed. This has to happen for us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

i'm sure it will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I like those quotes. I rate him very highly and it's nice to hear good stuff from him about the club and about being happy to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Great signing for spurs if this goes through. I think he'll play considerably better than he did at Madrid especially if he gets a bit of game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Will we now play five in midfield to accomodate RVD and Modders.

Lennon, Palacios, Modric, Bale

RVD

Pav

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

oppiuy wrote: »
    Will we now play five in midfield to accomodate RVD and Modders.

Lennon, Palacios, Modric, Bale

RVD

Pav

I think that Wilson may miss out here. Harry has being raving about Huddlestone recently and as Spurs are an attacking team we should play with an attacking midfield. To play 4-5-1 we dont really have the right kind of forwards. Keane likes to drop off the play, defoe is too small and Crouch and Pav are too slow. Perhaps we could push Bale a little further up the field almost as a second striker. Something like this maybe

----huddlestone--
    lennon----vdv---modric
    bale
    crouch----

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

deadline was missed, hoping for dispensation from premier league.

Sky Sports News understands Tottenham Hotspur missed the deadline to finalise the paperwork for the signing of Rafael van der Vaart.
    Spurs made a late bid to bring in Holland international Van der Vaartspacer.gif and tried to complete the deal before Tuesday's 6pm cut-off.
    However, it is understood that technical issues prevented the necessary paperwork from being completed and Spurs have now requested special dispensation from the Premier League to add the midfielder to their squad.

So now what? I don't think the FA will grant special dispensation as this would open up a can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

NOOOO! Surely we'll get him. What about FIFA over-ruling the FA as the international deadline is midnight?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

THFC wrote: »
    NOOOO! Surely we'll get him. What about FIFA over-ruling the FA as the international deadline is midnight?

The internation deadline was midnight, but the UK deadline was 6pm. The only way this will go through is if Spurs can prove that a technical issue caused a delay in getting the application in on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Could Real not just cancel his contract and we sign him as a free agent?

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    Could Real not just cancel his contract and we sign him as a free agent?

Wouldnt they lose the transfer fee for him then? And wouldn't they have to buy out his contract to do this as well, so it would be an even bigger loss.

Could Real not just cancel his contract and we sign him as a free agent

I presume he has signed a contract for Tottenham so then he is our player. Will we be told to sell him back to Real. Surely the FA can't force Tottenham to tear up his contract he signed with us, and then tell Van Der Vaart go back to Madrid because he is no longer their player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

kakee wrote: »
    I think that Wilson may miss out here. Harry has being raving about Huddlestone recently and as Spurs are an attacking team we should play with an attacking midfield. To play 4-5-1 we dont really have the right kind of forwards. Keane likes to drop off the play, defoe is too small and Crouch and Pav are too slow. Perhaps we could push Bale a little further up the field almost as a second striker. Something like this maybe

----huddlestone--
    lennon----vdv---modric
    bale
    crouch----

Lets just play 6 midfielders and no strikers, they're all sh1te if you listen to everyone in here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

kakee wrote: »
    I presume he has signed a contract for Tottenham so then he is our player. Will we be told to sell him back to Real. Surely the FA can't force Tottenham to tear up his contract he signed with us, and then tell Van Der Vaart go back to Madrid because he is no longer their player.
    Would it not be considered void if wasnt signed on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

SSN are saying the following:
    Real Madrid president says that they made ALL deadlines for the transfer of RVDV and now fully expect the PL to confirm the transfer to Spurs by 5pm.
    Heres hoping!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

If it's not done by 5 we can't name him in the squad :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Didn't we sign Bobby Zamora by him getting realeased by his previous club otherwise he would have been transferee twice in one season. Or am I dreaming?

If it's not done by 5 we can't name him in the squad :mad:

Isnt the deadline for the 25 man squad tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Kiith wrote: »

Pretty sure it's today Kiith..

Fingers, toes, legs, hands crossed it'll get approval!

Kiith wrote: »

Today :(

• Advertisement

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !

We have him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Confirmed on ssn now

Can any creative genius make a song to this tune called "We Buy Van Der Vaart .com"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Get in there!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaa:D

:):):) Yipeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Bayern for not buying him, thank you Real for selling him cheap and thank you Mr. Levy for getting the deal done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Happy days. Would have not been happy if that had not gone through.

Am delighted it all worked out. Hes going to be a great player for us I reckon.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

yessssssssssssssssssssssss
    Over the moon with this signing. I was complaining earlier on in the week about too many midfielders but when you have the chance to sign a class player like Rafael van der Vaart then you have to jump at the opportunity.

And what a bargain.

I cannot wait to see him in a Spurs shirt.

COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel Levy - please forgive me for all the horrible things I said about you a few years back ( selling Berbatov and Robbie within a few weeks of each other nearly killed me).

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!!!!:D:D:D:):):):D:D:D:pac::pac::pac::D:D:D

Advertisement