Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC router recommendation?

• 01-09-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi there

I just signed up for UPC broadband in Cork and the sales agent told me the Cisco router is what theyre sending out to me.

Ive read bad reports about this on here so im thinking of changing this straight away.

Has anyone got any recommendations on a good router for this service?
    WIll any cable Modem do once it doesnt have adsl built in?

Thx,
    Ken.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The device they provision on their network must be used in order to connect. You can put it into bridge mode, which alleviates most of the problems, and then use any non-adsl router. As for router recommendations, it really depends on what speed you are getting off UPC and if you need 802.11n or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hey,

I'm on UPC 30Mb package and was trying to stream from laptop to xbox

If your just browsing then it's as good as any other router. If you're torrenting and browsing it's awful

If you're streaming then unless both devices are wired or wireless (i.e one device can't be wired if the other is wireless) then forget about it and as you know wireless G to wireless G streaming is poor ...

I managed to get a belkin from Harvey Norman. got the guy to give ti to me for €60 (was €70)
    http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=509532

I think it's a great router and WMC has never been as fast on my XBOX! But depends on why you want to get rid of the cisco though

All I did was disable WLAN on the cisco and have a network cable going from LAN on cisco to WAN on the belkin and it works perfect!

Hope you get sorted soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

A really good router is the WRT54GL.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000ETX928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283337344&sr=8-1

You can put custom firmware on it like Tomato.

I love it because it acts as a download monitor so no need to have multiple monitors on each device

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

I just heard that the cisco router isn't very reliable and I'd prefer an n router anyway. Just wondering if I should upgrade to a netgear, linksys version or similar.
    I use my broadband for downloading And xbox live.
    Is it a straight forward swap out?

**EDIT**.....just remembered ive got an Intellinet Wireless 150N router lying idle.
    Would this be suitable?

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

True the cisco router they provide is crap, nothing you can really do except LAN bridge the router to an N-Router.

Ok...so just change setting to bridge mode in the modem and use any N non-adsl router...is that how you do it?

I'd be kinda depending on my wireless so thats why im so curious as to changing it.

Ok...so my take on this so far is that I must use the cisco modem they provide me but I can use any non-adsl wireless router provided the mac address table is populated correctly.

I don't want to go down the bridge road if I can avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You can use any non-ADSL router you want, however you have no way of putting it on the network without going through the cisco router that UPC have provided. The least objectionable way (short of complaining a lot to get the SA modem - which has apparently worked for some people) is to put the cisco into bridge mode and let your router do all of the actual routing.

Look to this thread on how to get to the page to put your cisco into bridge mode.

Thanks Knasher. That's exactly what I was looking for and has cleared it up a bit better fir me.

Maybe I'll ring them and see if they'll give me the SA modem and if they don't, then I'll work away with the cisco and see how I get on.

UPC haven't been out to me yet so maybe I still have time to haggle over the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hey

I didn't put my belkin int bridge mode. I simply disabled wireless on the cisco and then connected the LAN (cisco) to WAN (belkin) and never looked back.

Sure you could do the same! Easy as plug and play!

Ok...so my take on this so far is that I must
    use the cisco modem they provide me but I can use any non-adsl wireless router provided the mac address table is populated correctly.

I don't want to go down the bridge road if I can avoid it.

Hey

I didn't put my belkin int bridge mode. I simply disabled wireless on the cisco and then connected the LAN (cisco) to WAN (belkin) and never looked back.

Sure you could do the same! Easy as plug and play!

Thanks man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

How do u disable wireless on the cisco router???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Knasher wrote: »
    You can use any non-ADSL router you want, however you have no way of putting it on the network without going through the cisco router that UPC have provided. The least objectionable way (short of complaining a lot to get the SA modem - which has apparently worked for some people) is to put the cisco into bridge mode and let your router do all of the actual routing.

Look to this thread on how to get to the page to put your cisco into bridge mode.

The scientific atlanta doesn't have wireless does it?

SA is a fixed modem afaiik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep, just a single port modem to plug into your own router via RJ45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

sorry to jump into this thread, but its very appropriate to what i was going to post.

long story short, i am having problems with eircom charging for exceeding there monthly combined cap and want to change over to UPC 15mb with unlimited downloads.

The problem is I have my eircom router in a unit using eircoms existing phone line and off this I have a WAP connected to a media player. If I get UPC will this involve wiring a new tv cable to where my router currently is, as they use tv cable instead of phone? and if I cannot get into UPC's router how will I configure the wireless access point I currently have?

any info much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

sonic.trip wrote: »

long story short, i am having problems with eircom charging for exceeding there monthly combined cap and want to change over to UPC 15mb with unlimited downloads.

UPC IS NOT unlimited...there's a fixed limit to it usually 250G per month.

bealtine wrote: »
    UPC IS NOT unlimited...there's a fixed limit to it usually 250G per month.

so are upc using terms and conditions for "unlimited" as 250gb on there website?

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

regardless 250gb a month download is fine and WAY better than eircoms crappy 30gb "combined" allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

so are upc using terms and conditions for "unlimited" as 250gb on there website?

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

regardless 250gb a month download is fine and WAY better than eircoms crappy 30gb "combined" allowance

They hide it in the "Fair Use Policy", commonly known as a FUP.

250G is far better than eircoms offering and generally the speeds are far better but it's not unlimited.

• Advertisement

sorry to jump into this thread, but its very appropriate to what i was going to post.

The problem is I have my eircom router in a unit using eircoms existing phone line and off this I have a WAP connected to a media player. If I get UPC will this involve wiring a new tv cable to where my router currently is, as they use tv cable instead of phone? and if I cannot get into UPC's router how will I configure the wireless access point I currently have?

any info much appreciated.

You can get into upc's cisco router to configure your network but it's just that you're limited as to what you can do compared to other leading routers

You can get into upc's cisco router to configure your network but it's just that you're limited as to what you can do compared to other leading routers

at least you can do that, cheers mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi all,

I am having problems with the UPC wireless router as well. It simply ins't strong enough. We cannot get reception in the top floor bedroom.

Can some please recommend a strong wireless router with a wide range?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If you're streaming then unless both devices are wired or wireless (i.e one device can't be wired if the other is wireless) then forget about it and as you know wireless G to wireless G streaming is poor ...

His anyone got experience of this? I'll have different machines connected some wired some not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

edit, nevermind all this. once I got the pc back on the network everything else fell into place

now, to try bridging this **** again

edit, nevermind all this. once I got the pc back on the network everything else fell into place

now, to try bridging this **** again

WTF????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i wrote a very long post complaining and then fixed everything a few minutes afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I just got UPC 15mb installed after my Vodafone BB went to .16mb at evenings. I asked for the SA EPC2203 modem. I can't get into the advanced settings does anyone know the username and password for the newer firmware Cisco EPC2203 - epc2203-E10-13-v202r1262-091209cs ? Thanks.

Advertisement