Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players Elegible for Ireland

• 01-09-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Was looking around yesterday on some sites about the transfers and then wikipedia and saw some guys who where eligible for the ROI now.

Seeing as we have a small pool why aren't more of these guys being brought in?

I know people here will say they're not irish and what not but it did us well in 88 90 and 94.

2 of the players i saw where

- Jamie O'Hara
    - Gary O'Neill

anyone else out there that would do a decent job for us with the likes of a left back and a new keeper that will be needed after this campaign i think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Well with the two players you mentioned:

Jamie O'Hara wants to play for England so I can not see him switching allegiances
    Gary O'Neill is not much better than the players we have got, no point introducing a similar player right at the start of a Euro campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Gary Cahill and Marc Wilson, two young players with a lot of potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just because someone is eligible doesnt automatically means he wil play. If Trap was to ring O'Hara in the morning I would guess O'Hara would decline.

Then you got to look at the current squad and the players that are on the fringes of making the squad and say are the plyers that are eligible and willing, as good or better then the players we already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Here's a more comprehensive list:

Gary Cahill (Bolton)
    Mark Noble (West Ham)
    Kyle Naughton (Tottenham)
    Anton Ferdinand (Sunderland)
    Kevin Nolan (Newcastle)
    Jamie O'Hara (Tottenham)
    Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham)
    Matt Kilgallon (Sheff United)
    Matt Connolly (QPR)
    Hogan Ephraim (QPR)
    Adam Hammill (Barnsley)
    Andy Lonergan (Preston)
    Kevin McCann (Hibernian)
    Zander Diamond (Aberdeen)
    Darren Ambrose (Crystal Palace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Isn't Mark Wilson just Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Here's a more comprehensive list:

Gary Cahill (Bolton)
    Mark Noble (West Ham)
    Kyle Naughton (Tottenham)
    Anton Ferdinand (Sunderland)
    Kevin Nolan (Newcastle)
    Jamie O'Hara (Tottenham)
    Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham)
    Matt Kilgallon (Sheff United)
    Matt Connolly (QPR)
    Hogan Ephraim (QPR)
    Adam Hammill (Barnsley)
    Andy Lonergan (Preston)
    Kevin McCann (Hibernian)
    Zander Diamond (Aberdeen)
    Darren Ambrose (Crystal Palace)

Wtf!

Does that mean Rio was too?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

SantryRed wrote: »
    Isn't Mark Wilson just Irish?

Ya he's Northern Irish but last I'd heard was that he had declared for the South after having played some underage footie for the North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why isn't he starting ahead of Andrews so? Or alongside Dunne in centre of defence. He is a cracking player.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

SantryRed wrote: »
    Why isn't he starting ahead of Andrews so? Or alongside Dunne in centre of defence. He is a cracking player.

Well because he only emerged as a first team player last year and was stuck in a struggling Portsmouth team where he was used in a number of different positions.

Thinking if he does well at Stoke now he'll be in more often in the Irish squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

cson wrote: »
    Wtf!

Does that mean Rio was too?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Must say as a Hammers fan i never had a clue that Mark Noble was elegible for Ireland,nor Anton and Rio either.

There's a load of decent players from the championship who could play for us,general rule of thumb is if you hear a name that sounds Irish in any way they're eligable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Adam Hammill at Barnsley is an interesting one, he will be an excellent premiership player in a couple of years I reckon. I think he is only 22, had bags of potential at liverpool but did the right thing and left at the right time to play week in week out.

We are not flush with right wingers either

Great skill, watch this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Gary Cahill would be good out of the list above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

dsmythy wrote: »
    Gary Cahill would be good out of the list above.
    Is he not involved with the England squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Voltwad wrote: »

Only at underage. He has said he only wants to play for England, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I think he was called into the latest squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

matrim wrote: »
    Thought I heard that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Apparently O'Hara wants to play for Ireland (Yes, i know it's Wikipedia....)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_O%27Hara_(footballer)#International_career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Degag wrote: »
    Apparently O'Hara wants to play for Ireland (Yes, i know it's Wikipedia....)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_O%27Hara_(footballer)#International_career

Thats the one i saw yesterday :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I would like to see Zander Diamond play for Ireland just for his name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

matrim wrote: »

He is in there current squad, he was always going to make it to the England team too, never much hope of him representing Ireland imo.

Mark Noble is the only one off that list i'd be looking at but i wouldn't hugely excited about that really. Marc Wilson has already been called up for Ireland has he not, i think it was the Brazil game he was called up for but he didn't play?.. He looks a good player, he was named captain at Portsmouth this season too before he left, not bad for a 22 year old, though i suppose Portsmouth didn't have the biggest squad in the world to choose a captain from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

MOG7 wrote: »
    He looks a good player, he was named captain at Portsmouth this season too before he left, not bad for a 22 year old, though i suppose Portsmouth didn't have the biggest squad in the world to choose a captain from.

True this, think it was a toss up between Marc and the wooden guy who stands in the wall while practice free kicks are taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

SK1979 wrote: »
    True this, think it was a toss up between Marc and the wooden guy who stands in the wall while practice free kicks are taken.

I would have expected Kanu to be a more obvious choice. Still a good achievement for a 22 year old to be named club captain at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Think they made him captain to keep him at the club perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Rather surprisingly, Lukas Jutkiewicz is also eligible to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

AFAIK Jamie O'Hara has already came out and said he wants to play for England and that he is young and sees himself as a big part of their future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Fifa said last week that Mikel Arteta was only eligible for England if he had a British passport at the time he played underage for Spain. So does that mean these guys are only eligible if they already had passports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Re Jamie O'Hara and whether or not he wants to play for Ireland. This is what he said

'I've always loved playing for England so I wouldn't want to upset anyone or disrespect the Ireland people as well, because I've got a lot of family in Ireland,' he told Sky Sports.'

'It's going to be a difficult decision to make and I don't want it to become a big deal in a way.'

From that i take that he would like to play for Ireland but he is still holding out for an England call-up who seem to be his preferred choice. Understandable really considering he was born and bred there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Fifa said last week that Mikel Arteta was only eligible for England if he had a British passport at the time he played underage for Spain. So does that mean these guys are only eligible if they already had passports?

I would assume for Arteta it's because he has no family ties to England. Most of these players eligible for Ireland would come under the granny rule with Irish parents,grandparents, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

mar-z wrote: »
    I would assume for Arteta it's because he has no family ties to England. Most of these players eligible for Ireland would come under the granny rule with Irish parents,grandparents, etc

Half of England has an Irish granny.

Well, probably around 10% do at least, maybe as many as a quarter. The percentage would also be quite high in poor areas, and given that's where so many footballers come from, it's reasonable enough that a lot of English guys are eligible for Ireland. (Or half the Caribbean.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

FYI, Gary Cahill played for England the other day! Came on for Dawson and got 34 minutes.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_facts/0,19762,11065_3280174,00.html

Advertisement