Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What browser are you using?

• 01-09-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I've used firefox for years, but of recent i've found one of its components (plugin-container.exe) is eating the resources on my machine. Also, i've had scripts crashing on alot of pages.

So i'm thinking of moving to Chrome, haven't used it, just seen the hype here and there.

So i'm interested to know what browsers you people are using and what you think of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Opera. Blazing fast, convenient, doesn't slow down even with many pages open. Takes a bit of getting used to, coming from Firefox, but I never looked back. :) Downside: a few non standard-compliant pages coded for IE don't work properly, but there's Firefox for those. Never tried Chrome so can't comment on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

At various stages FireFox, Safari, Chrome, Opera, Camino, iCab. My preference is FireFox but the others have nice features too, particularly Safari which is extremely fast navigating some sites.

(sorry, I just notice the .exe thingy which leaves you stuck in the Windoze world)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Opera for most things, Firefox via ToR for BBC iPlayer (video), and IE6 for some things still, e.g.BBC iPlayer (audio)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

mainly firefox ,

chrome on occassion as its quicker for some sites

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've gone through them all but have stuck with Chrome in the last while. I like the layout and tab setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Firefox had too many memory leaks for me. I found it sluggish towards the end of my usage so tried out Chrome. Haven't gone back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'll have to give chrome a go, so it seems.

Interesting that some of you use different browsers for different content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I used to be a Firefox user, installed Chrome one day to see what the hype was. I was shocked at how fast it was. Haven't used Firefox since. Sometimes I use Safari for sites full of javascript. Chrome tends to slow down a lot if there's a lot of javascript on a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

lalee17 wrote: »
    I used to be a Firefox user, installed Chrome one day to see what the hype was. I was shocked at how fast it was. Haven't used Firefox since. Sometimes I use Safari for sites full of javascript. Chrome tends to slow down a lot if there's a lot of javascript on a site.

the same..quick question though..
    on chrome how do you print a selection of a web page..select it..click print but it doesn't give me the option of printing a selection..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Firefox all the way. Been using it since version two! But I have dabbled in SRWares' Iron browser. (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php)

Here are it's comparisons to Chrome. (sorry for the length!)

Also I've found Memory Fox is decent enough in utilising and lowering the usage of FF.
    Privacy:

Comparism of Iron and Chrome at privacy:

Client-ID

Chrome creates a unique ID through which a user can be theoretically identified.

does not exist in Iron

Timestamp

Chrome remembers up to the second exactly when the software was installed.

does not exist in Iron

Suggest

Depending on the configuration, each time you put something in the address line,this information is sent to Google to provide suggestions.

does not exist in Iron

Alternate Error Pages

Depending on the configuration, if you have typed a false address in the adress bar, this is sent to Google and you get an error message from Google's servers.

does not exist in Iron

Error Reporting

Depending on the configuration, details about crashes or failures are sent Google's servers.

does not exist in Iron

RLZ-Tracking

This Chrome-function transmits information in encoded form to Google, for example, when and where Chrome has been downloaded.

does not exist in Iron

Google Updater

Chrome installs a updater, which loads at every Windows in background.

does not exist in Iron

URL-Tracker

Calls depending on the configuration five seconds after launch the Google homepage opens in background

does not exist in Iron

Other important differences:

Adblocker

Chrome doesn't have an built-in adblocker

Iron has an easy to use and built-in adblocker which can be configured by a single file

User-Agent

The User-Agent in Chrome is only be changeable with parameters over a link or command, which isn't really ideal for permanent usage.

The User-Agent in Iron can be flexiblel and permanently changed by UA.ini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Opera. For many years. Some pages still need IE but they are getting quite rare. Love the Notes feature. Never looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sack

I find Chrome to be the best, especially when putting web pages together. Pain in the arse developing in it though and then finding out IE doesn't render the page the same way :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Firefox. IE is painfully slow, and Chrome's data mining is what puts me off it. also loads of handy extensions for FF that i use quite frequently. never tried any of the other ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Firefox primarily, had a lot of issues with it earlier this year mainly due to plugins.... used Google Chrome as my secondary browser (for when I sorting out issues with Firefox). HATE IE never go near it, never bothered even upgrading it to IE8

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FLCP

In Linux - Chromium right now (first time ever as the Arcade Fire/Google collaboration only works on Chrome/Chromium), normally Swiftfox (just a stripped down netbook version of Firefox).
    In Windoze - Firefox for most browsing, IE very occasionally and Mgeni via Tor for geo variation (drop down box to select UK, US etc IP address)
    FLCP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Chrome....nothing beats it imo.

IE is just appalling in every way possible.
    Firefox spontaneously crashes far to much for my liking.
    Safari seems a bit slow.
    Opera is alright, but still I find Chrome to be much more lightweight and a lot smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

IE8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Internet Explorer 8. I like the coloured tab groups and middle-clicking on folders on the Favourites bar (which brings them all up in their own tab group). And the Accelerators, for translating and searching stuff.

It's good. I like it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

John C wrote: »
    IE8
    Internet Explorer 8. I like the coloured tab
    It's good. I like it. :)

Booooooo... fekn Microsoft heads have penetrated boards.ie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

koppy wrote: »
    the same..quick question though..
    on chrome how do you print a selection of a web page..select it..click print but it doesn't give me the option of printing a selection..

Try ctrl+p.

I'm using chrome by the way. It's definitely the best all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Booooooo... fekn Microsoft heads have penetrated boards.ie :D

At least we're honest about our infiltration. :D

EDIT: I mean, I've no idea what you're talking about...

Advertisement