Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good RPGs

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

My fianceé has been getting a gaming urge for some good old rpgs.

She's recently restarted Oblivion to get her fix and is looking for other reccomendations

She's already completed and played

- Fallout 3
    - Oblivion
    - Mass Effect 1 & 2
    - Jade Empire
    - Neverwinter Nights
    - Baldurs Gate
    - Dragon Age
    - Some FF games
    - Something sonata
    - Some other Squaresoft one that isn't final fantasy

So With all your vast knowledge can you reccommend something she will like,

Trying to get her to play fallout 1 & 2 at the mo :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Might get better responses in here

Also, what consoles have you available to use?

some great little RPG's on the DS, Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest 9 come to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Dragon Age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Dont know if you have a gamecube but tales of symphonia and tales of vesparia on xbox 360

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Planescape Torment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A lot of the good ones are portable these days: Dragon Quest IX (or VIII on the PS2) on DS is fantastic, The World Ends With You is very interesting and different, and the PSP has a bucketload of good SRPGs (strategy RPGs, grid based combat) like Jeanne D'Arc.

And in before retr0: Persona 3 and 4 on PS2 are IMO the best RPGs of the last 5 years. A combination of Japanese dating sim, school sim, Pokemon and dungeon crawler that shouldn't work but does, and does wonderfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines

but make sure you update to the latest unofficial patch as the company went out of business after it was released
    http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php

The Witcher

Knights of the Old Republic 1 + 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rogue galaxy
    ff13

Has she played the expansions for Fallout 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Planescape Torment

This this ten thousand times this. It is very old and ugly by modern standards and the opening is terrible, but once you get past all of that it is one of the most brilliantly plotted and well written RPGs in existence.

Here's an odd suggestion: Freespace 2. Technically not an rpg, it's actually a space combat game, but the story is absolutely fantastic and you upgrade your ships and weapons as the game goes on so it's like an rpg in that sense :) Frankly, everyone should play Freespace 2 through at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Fallout 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Morrowind
    Golden Sun 1 & 2
    KOTOR
    The Witcher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Persona 3 and 4 are the best RPGs I've played in a very long time and would recommend them above anything else already listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

She'd probably enjoy the zelda games, the newest one is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,312 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Legend of Dragoon. Not scrape-your-brain-off-the-ceiling fantastic, but still very good for a US RPG.

Theres also Mario RPG seven stars on the SNES

And of course, MMORPGs, if she's that insatiable :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Overheal wrote: »
    Legend of Dragoon. Not scrape-your-brain-off-the-ceiling fantastic, but still very good for a US RPG.

Please ignore this, it's a terrible game, by far the worst RPG I've ever played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Listen to Retro, he knows what he's talking about, I have it for the PS and it's awful, just some US fanboys who keep the torch shining for this one....
    But don't listen to me, I detest turn based battles, hate random battles, hate dungeon grinds to build stats, I don't like the stereotypes that keep turning up, in jap rpgs its the effeminate lead character, his gruff buddy, some token character of colour, a sassy female character, something furry, possibly one of the former...
    In western rpgs it's the constant mining of Tolkien stories, dwarves with plaits in their beards, elve's straight from Mirkwood, halflings, rangers and the rest.

Panzer Dragoon Saga, there you go, an RPG that avoids all the stereotypes, it's not so much rare as expensive, but you love her, so she's worth it!

Or, if she's looking for a little something more off centre, try the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii, not quite an RPG, not a shooter, more exploratory and very strong story wise.
    The fact that it's one of the best value compilations, one of the best series of games ever made should seal the deal.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Please ignore this, it's a terrible game, by far the worst RPG I've ever played.
    You say that every time I bring this up.

Can you not accept that a game you hated, someone else will like?

You say that every time I bring this up.

Can you not accept that a game you hated, someone else will like?

No, because Legend of Dragoon is beyond terrible. It's a soulless abomination. It's a game with no redeeming qualities and it's beyond my comprehension that there are actually a small few that think the game is good, although it adds weight to the theory that you willfind fans ofanything no matter howbad on the internet.

I do this out of the kindness of my heart because the game goes 10 dollars on ebay which is 90 dollars too much for it and I hope some one else is saved having to experience the game.

But I will say to the OP, if you want to play one of the dullest and mindnumbing RPGs with a story so retarded it will make you despair for humanity and a cast of bellends that make it hard to do well in battles because you want to see them dead then Legend of Dragoon is your man. If you want to play a good game then playanything else that has been suggested.

VOLCANO!!!!

Perhaps you should ask Yhatzee to review it then :)

Perhaps you should ask Yhatzee to review it then :)

It would be too easy for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'm currently enjoying "The Witcher" after someone here recommended it.

• Advertisement

Word of warning BoF V is a weird one. You won't finish the game on your frist try but as you replay it new areas and story open up.

I'd also like to recommend Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifers Call/Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. Can't go wrong with shin megami tensei games realy especailyl if you want something different from the norm.

Another recommendation for Vagrant Story.

Final Fantasy Tactics is also excellent.

Tactics on the GBA was excellent. My only regret is I persistently got my ass handed to me on the last boss and never finished it.

I actually hated the FF Tactics Advance games. They just felt so pointless and dull. It could be that I loved FF Tactics which was so much better and was disappointed.

On the PS1? I had the NTSC disc farting around in a case for years unable to play it. And now its gone missing.

Yeah the PS1 game is amazing although be prepared because it's one of the hardest games I've ever played and you will need a walkthrough on some of the buggy maps. The PSP version fixes it and the terrible translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

RopeDrink wrote: »

Wizardry 8 (PC - Suprising Gem of a game - Pretty simplistic but catchy and the story is one way but many ways to plough through it with several possible endings)

Wizardry 8 has nothing on 6 (Bane of the Cosmic Forge) or 7 (Crusaders of the Dark Savant)

They are games from the old days, like Ultima 7, that take months to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Word of warning BoF V is a weird one. You won't finish the game on your frist try but as you replay it new areas and story open up.
    Is it that the game is too hard or not possible to finish?

Is it that the game is too hard or not possible to finish?

Not really that it's too hard. The game is about 10 hours long but you have a time limit to beat the gam. and everytime you turn into a dragon your time depletes even more. When your time runs out the game ends. However you can replay the game and stuff like items, exp, weapons etc. carries over. You can then get through the game faster and new areas and story bits open up. It's very weird but if you don't rubbish the game because you couldn't finish it on your first play through then it's supposedly really good and very unique. There's multiple enemies and you eventually get good enough to beat the game within the time limit. It's not so bad because the game is very short for an RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Not really that it's too hard. The game is about 10 hours long but you have a time limit to beat the gam. and everytime you turn into a dragon your time depletes even more. When your time runs out the game ends. However you can replay the game and stuff like items, exp, weapons etc. carries over. You can then get through the game faster and new areas and story bits open up. It's very weird but if you don't rubbish the game because you couldn't finish it on your first play through then it's supposedly really good and very unique. There's multiple enemies and you eventually get good enough to beat the game within the time limit. It's not so bad because the game is very short for an RPG.

Sounds interesting, may check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I give another thumbs up to Planescape and both Fallouts

Advertisement