Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converter

Options
  • 01-09-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm just back from the US and I bought a KitchenAid mixer over there, due to it being extremely cheap.
    I was just wondering, what is required to change the voltage to 110v as it is an American appliance? (the safest/cheapest option)

It's one of these: http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSM150PSER-Artisan-5-Quart-Empire/dp/B00005UP2P and it's rated at 325W

thank you,

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

think u can buy a converter to do the job some people say an ordinary site traffo works too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

think u can buy a converter to do the job some people say an ordinary site traffo works too :)

Where would I go about buying a 'site traffo'?

its a big yellow box not the most elegant item but im sure u could locate it somewhere out of site and run a cable from it to the mixers intended location. there available in most builders providers/ electrical wholesalers.

its a big yellow box not the most elegant item but im sure u could locate it somewhere out of site and run a cable from it to the mixers intended location. there available in most builders providers/ electrical wholesalers.

Ah yes, I know what it is now.

Is it possible to convert a plug in the house to a US 110v without major expense?

it all depends on the house and how it is wired. best option might be to install traffo in utility or a room near kitchen where the traffo would be out of site. then install a socket in the kitchen and run a cable from this to the traffo. we used a restricted duty socket so that items could not be plugged into it incorrectly. you need special plugtops to fit into these sockets. would probably not be very noticable once installed either.
    hope this makes sense :)

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/en-GB/Products/WD/white/logicplus/switchedsocketoutlets/Nonstandard/Pages/K1246WHI.aspx

• Advertisement

it all depends on the house and how it is wired. best option might be to install traffo in utility or a room near kitchen where the traffo would be out of site. then install a socket in the kitchen and run a cable from this to the traffo. we used a restricted duty socket so that items could not be plugged into it incorrectly. you need special plugtops to fit into these sockets. would probably not be very noticable once installed either.
    hope this makes sense :)

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/en-GB/Products/WD/white/logicplus/switchedsocketoutlets/Nonstandard/Pages/K1246WHI.aspx

Thank you for the detailed responce, the above method seems like the perfect solution.

What wattage traffo would I need for a 325W applience? I heard that you are supost to buy a percentage over the actual wattage and is there anything I need to protect the appliance like a surge protector ect?

And where is generally the cheapest shop in Dublin for the transformer?

thank you,

Kevin.

there is only one or two sizes readily available and afaik either would cover your requirements. any builders providers diy store or electrical wholesaler should have them al around same price id say. might be no harm put in a surge protector but that is up to you :)

all the stuff for the job can be got in electrical wholesalers so just head over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

A company called mckenna distribution on aston quay in dublin do what we call an american transformer. 240v in and 110 volt out with the american 3 pin socket built into the traffo. its size is about 4''x3''x3''.
    mckennas no is 01- 6773132

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Standard Site transformers are 3.3KVA.

More than enough for what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

You can definitely convert a socket to 110v, anything is possible but before you do that double check the technical data for your mixer.

Some items from the states, if they have electronic control circuit inside can run from 110v-230v. It will say it on the mixer documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Your motor speeds will also be messed up as the US uses 60Hz frequency while most of Europe operates on 50Hz.

One possible solution would be to use a VSD (Variable Speed Drive). An ABB or similar at 0.3 kW would cost under 200E and would change the voltage down to 110V and increase the frequecy to 60Hz.

Your motor speeds will also be messed up as the US uses 60Hz frequency while most of Europe operates on 50Hz.

One possible solution would be to use a VSD (Variable Speed Drive). An ABB or similar at 0.3 kW would cost under 200E and would change the voltage down to 110V and increase the frequecy to 60Hz.

Will it damage the motor or will it just mess up what the actual settings should be on the dial?

I'd rather not spend 200E for just a mixer, if at all possible

quite possibly the mixer will still work here check its label and see it will say the voltage followed by the frequency

eg 110v 50/60 hz

if it says 50/60 it will work normally over here and the earlier solution i gave will still work

quite possibly the mixer will still work here check its label and see it will say the voltage followed by the frequency

eg 110v 50/60 hz

if it says 50/60 it will work normally over here and the earlier solution i gave will still work

this is the label on the mixer: v771pi.jpg

It states that it runs at 60Hz, does that mean I have to buy the expensive option or will an ordinary traffy do?

thanks,

Kevin.

any ideas? sorry for the bump but hoping to buy the solution on the weekend

one of those american converter traffos is probably the best option now as some of them change frequency aswell afaik think maplins stock them.
    the idea of placing the traffo elsewhere will still work but a site traffo wont do the job

one of those american converter traffos is probably the best option now as some of them change frequency aswell afaik think maplins stock them.
    the idea of placing the traffo elsewhere will still work but a site traffo wont do the job

It looks like the biggest one they stock is 300VA, is that big enough?

just had a quick glance at website they stock bigger than that best thing to do is call in to them only way you will get what you need

just had a quick glance at website they stock bigger than that best thing to do is call in to them only way you will get what you need

Alright cheers, will pop into the shop.

What VA do I need though for the mixer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Have a look here http://www.tortech.com.au/stepdown.html it should give you some idea about what to look for in a transformer.

• Advertisement

If the mixer is 325W I wouldn't go below a 400VA trafo and 500VA wouldbe preferable just so your not overloading it.

In regard to the 60Hz frequency it shouldn't do the mixer any problems to run it on 50Hz it will just run slightly slower. When I say shouldn't I'm not sure what type of motor the mixer is using so I'm not 100% if you have a model number or detailed information about the internal electrics I could give a better answer.

Went into Maplins today, they had a 500W converter similar to this but it was a crazy price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Stepdown-Transformer-500VA-SC5476/dp/B0009K6M4O/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284228828&sr=8-9

will this unit convert the frequency as well?

cheers,

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If the mixer is 325W I wouldn't go below a 400VA trafo and 500VA wouldbe preferable just so your not overloading it.

In regard to the 60Hz frequency it shouldn't do the mixer any problems to run it on 50Hz it will just run slightly slower. When I say shouldn't I'm not sure what type of motor the mixer is using so I'm not 100% if you have a model number or detailed information about the internal electrics I could give a better answer.

It might not run slower if its a universal motor in it, it would for an induction motor alright, but it could also have one of them shaded pole motors like a washing machine pump uses, which would also be slightly slower. Its probably a universal motor though.

A 325watt mixer would be 325va divided by any power factor so id agree 350-400va transformer at least. I would`t think the 60hz to 50hz would have any major affect either.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It might not run slower if its a universal motor in it, it would for an induction motor alright, but it could also have one of them shaded pole motors like a washing machine pump uses, which would also be slightly slower. Its probably a universal motor though.

A 325watt mixer would be 325va divided by any power factor so id agree 350-400va transformer at least. I would`t think the 60hz to 50hz would have any major affect either.

okay, well I've ordered the above transformer from amazon so hopefully it converts the frequency as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Kevin! wrote: »
    okay, well I've ordered the above transformer from amazon so hopefully it converts the frequency as well.

I dont think it does, whatever frequency goes in also comes out, but it should still work ok i`d say.

Best bet is to google and see if someone has done it before and if they've had any negitive affects.

Advertisement