Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I wanna MotorBike

• 01-09-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi All,

I used to have a moped back in the day, been driving a car ever since for the last 7 yrs, a focus ST, full insurance, never crashed, never claimed. I don't know if bike insurance takes any of this into account, probably not???

My question would be I basically want a honda hornet 600cc, don't have a license.

So I will need to get my full bike license.

Does anyone know where I could get bike insurance, I have tried a few different websites but they don't allow me to select that model, I haven't rang them.

Does anyone out there know how much my insurance would roughly cost on a honda hornet 600cc with a full bike license, obviously no previous bike insurance apart from moped which probably isn't worth mentioning, got the moped insurnace from AON in bikeworld over 8 yrs ago, never crashed or claimed on that policy either.

Just wanting to know a rough cost for the insurance and if it's worth going through all this hastle only to find out I can't get insured or that it would be ridicilous cost

PS - I am 26 yrs old

If you know of bike insurance companies please write them down here as I only know of Quinn and Aon

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not pick up the phone and ring some insurance companies? They're the only ones who can answer your question. Moving to Motorbikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

I will on my next day off but very difficult to ring because of the job I am in.
    I can only ring them on my next day off, so just wondering if any ppl out there would have a rough idea, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How long is a piece of string?

depends on the bike, your location, your age, your name, your sex, whatever way the wind is blowing on that day, the expected moth population in Ghania over the winter months and how much the person on the phone reckons they can screw out of you. So expect quotes of between 800-4000.

Oh, you won't have a full license for six months after issue because you are not allowed take your test. You will have to do your theory test and reapply for a permit. Your bike will be restricted to 33bhp for the two years after completing your test and before completing your test in order to validate your license and insurance.

that seems ridiculous, so I have to do in order:

theory test, even though I have a full car license
    once I get my provisional license I can apply for testing on a full license
    once I get the full license I have to wait 2 yrs before I get a bike?

whaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Carole Nash and Adelaide are the 2 other companies that insure bikes in Ireland.

Your moped driving counts for nothing as NCB's only last 2 years without renewing.

It won't take too long to call the 4 companies to get quotes. Quinn and Adelaide where the cheapest for me, Aon wouldn't quote and Carole Nash where ridiculous.

• Advertisement

whaaa

You have to do the theory test and apply for a provisional. Unless you want to grab a moped again.

Once you get the provisional you can apply for a test six months from the date of issue.

Provisional licenses and two years from date of issue full licenses have power to weight restrictions placed on them. So my 74bhp 650cc is restricted to 33pbh in order to meet the requirements of my license. Its not as bad as its seems, a 33bhp bike is still faster then a ST up to motorway speeds.

thnx man, I will try Adelaide for a quote when I can and see what they can offer. If it's too expensive I might just get insured in northern ireland instead as I have an address up there as well so........

I have heard the price of insurance on bikes in the south is overall ridiculous

Thnx Cuddlesworth, that's alot clearer to me now.

A car isn't a bike.
    You have to have you permit for 6 months before you can sit the test. But you can apply any time and say you aren't available till the 6 months is up

whaaa
    You can ride any bike you like on the A permit/licence. It will need to be restricted to 33bhp/25kw while on your permit and for 2 years after you get your full licence, not the date you passed the test.

Nearly all bikes can be restricted for ~€250 or you can get factory restricted ones which have cheaper insurance.

Hi Del,

I understand it now in relation to restriction although I bet most bike users out there un-restrict their bikes anyway.

I think the theory test is a bit silly though, I know a car isn't a bike but the theory test is only to do with rules of the road. I wouldn't think there are different rules for bikes. Not to mention a Bike NCT which doesn't exist.
    But these are not my questions.

thnks all for the advice you have given, it is what I was looking for.

I find it sad that the bike I want can't be ridden for over two yrs after I get my full license, not even including the 6 months on a provisonal

If i wanted a 600cc bike that was restricted to 33bhp I would be better off just getting a moped again which I am not going to do.

anyway, thanks again all. got all the info I need

• Advertisement

Hi Del,

I understand it now in relation to restriction although I bet most bike users out there un-restrict their bikes anyway.

Most do. Cops are clamping down on it.
    I think the theory test is a bit silly though, I know a car isn't a bike but the theory test is only to do with rules of the road. I wouldn't think there are different rules for bikes. Not to mention a Bike NCT which doesn't exist.
    But these are not my questions.

Bike driving has advantages and disadvantages compared to a car. The theory test does point out some of these.
    I find it sad that the bike I want can't be ridden for over two yrs after I get my full license, not even including the 6 months on a provisonal

You could do a direct access course in England. They have the same system we do but have the option of a intensive training course which grants full bike license and power after completion.

If i wanted a 600cc bike that was restricted to 33bhp I would be better off just getting a moped again which I am not going to do.

Lol, believe me 33bhp on a bike is a lot. On your hornet you could get up to 160kph, and your 0-60 time would be close enough to full power. Its only a about 130kph that the lack of power becomes apparent as the wind speed picks up. But you would also be uncomfortable driving above that speed on a unfaired bike. The wind nearly rip's your head off.

I suppose if they only cap the top end speed and not the accelaration then I might not have a problem.

Does the english course allow you drive straight away with a full license without being restricted in Ireland or is that just the UK?

Most do. Cops are clamping down on it.

It's not the cops I'm worried about. It's spending several hundred Euro for insurance and then giving them an easy get out of jail free card if the worst happens.

Lol, believe me 33bhp on a bike is a lot. On your hornet you could get up to 160kph, and your 0-60 time would be close enough to full power. Its only a about 130kph that the lack of power becomes apparent as the wind speed picks up. But you would also be uncomfortable driving above that speed on a unfaired bike. The wind nearly rip's your head off.

I've a restricted Z750, only for 14 more days:D

It'll do 150km/h top speed, which is plenty for an unfaired bike. The only time I've noticed the lack of power was when I was out for a spin and a mate took off from a standing start as I was passing him. I couldn't get passed so just dropped in behind him. It still decimates any car from the lights and is just as fast on back roads as most other bikes.

I suppose if they only cap the top end speed and not the accelaration then I might not have a problem.

Does the english course allow you drive straight away with a full license without being restricted in Ireland or is that just the UK?

It's an EU licence so you can drive unrestricted with it here.

I might go for the EU license then with the advanced course to give me better driving skill I suppose & prob cheaper insurance and no restrictions, that's what I want, thanks.

What do both of you mean by the term "unfaired bike" ???

with an EU license can you get insurance abroad for driving in ireland making it cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

fairing is just the bodywork

faired bikes - fireblades, r1, cbr's, ninjas etc
    unfaired - yer hornet, bandits, z750/1000's, cb's etc

ok gotcha, basically just bodywork for wind resistance for the person driving the bike.

I would like one of those kind of bikes, eg - ninja, R1, suzuki gsxr 750 r, or would like a ducati montser or ducati 996.

unfortunately I have a bad back, not too bad now but sometimes it can get soar so I am hoping my selection of the hornet which would have my back more upright would be a better suited bike for me for that reason for the sitting position, defo don't want a harley coz i'm not an oldie lol.

saw some hornets in france which I may import one bcoz the vrt is only 4-600 hundred yoyo

the bikes in france look much nicer than ones I have seen here or in the UK, maybe it's the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Aye, the body position will be the killer on a sports bike unfortunately

its not much better on a monster iirc..

best way to tell is to have a try of a few (just a sit in the showrooms) and seeing what you think

gsr600, fazer, z750 are all worth considering also

I might go for the EU license then with the advanced course to give me better driving skill I suppose & prob cheaper insurance and no restrictions, that's what I want, thanks.

What do both of you mean by the term "unfaired bike" ???

with an EU license can you get insurance abroad for driving in ireland making it cheaper?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. You are getting a UK licence. Since we are all in the EU a licence issued in any EU country is valid in all EU countries.

If you live in Ireland you can only get Irish insurance, companies from other EU states can't trade here unless they jump through several hoops.

Thanks Del. Do I have to live in the UK or have a UK address in order to get the EU license over in the UK?

or

CAn I also get the EU license in Northern Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Yes you need a UK address to get a UK licence.

Yes you can get a UK licence in Northern Ireland. But as far as i know their is no Direct access courses in Northern Ireland so you have to do it the old slow way and i think will still be restricted for 2 years.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Yes you need a UK address to get a UK licence.

But can I get an EU license in the UK without a UK address, not a UK license, an EU license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

But can I get an EU license in the UK without a UK address, not a UK license, an EU license

Last time i checked the UK was in the EU so a UK licence is an EU licence. They are the same thing.

You can use your Northern Ireland Address to do a direct access course on mainland UK. This would grant you a full English motorbike license. You can then either continue to use it for a set period of time(not sure of the actual time period, but I think its 2 years) in Ireland or you can exchange your full English license for a Irish license. Since you didn't do the test here, they can't restrict it.

All full driving licenses within the Eu are EU valid, therefore usable everywhere else within the EU. It was actually a large issue for Ireland joining the EU, the fact that a large proportion of our driving population(way more back then) has never done or will take a driving test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

anyway, thanks again all. got all the info I need
    lol I've ridden a moped years ago and I now ride a restricted 650. Don't worry - they are FAR from the same thing. Come to think of it, if you like the look of a sports bike but want a more upright position, you could do worse than a factory-restricted (cheaper for insurance) Kawasaki ER-6f. The handlebars are placed higher than on most faired bikes but they look sweet IMO.
    KAWASAKIER-6f-medium-416_5.jpg

Advertisement