Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Power Meter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lack of Ant+ is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The Polar LOOK Kéo Power system will become available in spring 2011.

Sure it will, any day now...

Lumen wrote: »

Yup, suspected that back when they announced the polar link... pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Why the fcuk did Look team up with Polar of all people ?? :(

Next Autumn I reckon more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Murph100 wrote: »

Mah - covered this about 6 weeks ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I think the lack of Ant+ will be a major hurdle for adoption. Seriously, every other company has gone down the Ant+ route... I guess Polar are still fixated on their watches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Kéo Power is a must-have novelty for the ambitious cyclists
    Who wrote this press release? Not exactly how I'd try and sell it, if I was launching a power meter.

Might sound better in Finnish :)

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Who wrote this press release? Not exactly how I'd try and sell it, if I was launching a power meter.

The lack of accuracy information has been noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

FAIL on Polars part.

Saying that 100% predictable on their half. Most anal company ever when it comes to 'our sensors, our units'

Good move to couple with Look, massive market base and consumers stay to what they like.

Hoping it'll fit their MTB pedals.

Still not going to buy one though

• Advertisement

billy.fish wrote: »
    FAIL on Polars part.

Saying that 100% predictable on their half. Most anal company ever when it comes to 'our sensors, our units'

Good move to couple with Look, massive market base and consumers stay to what they like.

Hoping it'll fit their MTB pedals.

Still not going to buy one though

whinge whinge moan moan.

And?

Not worth what its going to cost so no point IMHO

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Purely down to the fact that it will work with a CS600X, it's gone right up to the top of my list of potential buys if I choose to take the plunge.

However, I can appreciate that's not to everyone's taste. I presume the desire for ANT+ is down to being able to have a choice of head units? Just checked the website there and Polar aren't even a member of the ANT+ Alliance.

Be interested to see the pricing and also if Polar will ditch its WIND Power Meter now its has this option.

Factor in the price of WKO+ is you actually want to look at the data in a reasonable manner. Protrainer 5 is muck.

Also kinda bad that when you crash racing you are going to write off the pedal.

Not if.

RRP will be interesting, they had said months back before Polar and Look came in that the price point would be under $1000... will they stick to this now.

€1,500 - 1,800

Announced at Eurobike today

pah, plus another €300-€400 for a polar head unit... ohwell

€1,500 - 1,800

Announced at Eurobike today

haha! What a bunch of jokers

Talk about wasted market potential :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just looked at that video again. Is that a zip tie I see holding on the transmitter that goes on the inside of the crank? If so, there goes easy switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

A snips and a million zipties can be gotten for a couple of quid so, while horribly inelegant, a ziptie is not a total deal breaker. The non ANT+ communication would be though. As a long time polar fan I'm now a total garmin convert.

I am pleased there are two new heavyweights coming into the market though. The more of that we see the sooner I'll get my €100 power meter.

mloc123 wrote: »
    pah, plus another €300-€400 for a polar head unit... ohwell

Are you sure the price quoted isn't that for a bundle, with head unit etc? I know the previous one was usually sold in that fashion.

niceonetom wrote: »
    As a long time polar fan I'm now a total garmin convert.

What's the main advantage of the Garmin? Your one (the 500 right?) is the first Garmin I've liked the look of, but the chore of having to recharge it would put me off.

Well if you download your rides to your computer that chore is automatically taken care of. TBH, like my mobile phone, the idea of recharging the unit becomes automatic after a while. I haven't been caught out with a dead battery in years now

Garmins recording and the poor heart rate reading makes it less than ideal. If there was a ANT+ sport head unit that was decent at recording then it would be ideal, and you used a Suunto HR strap. The only one I know of is the SRM PCVI and PCVII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

el tonto wrote: »
    What's the main advantage of the Garmin? Your one (the 500 right?) is the first Garmin I've liked the look of, but the chore of having to recharge it would put me off.

Well, it charges quite quickly while transferring data. You'd get three or four proper spins out of the 500 before the battery goes, but that's never happened to me because it charges so fast and I like to look at the data after a long day. I don't think I've ever gotten the battery below 50% tbh. I'm coming from the polar cs200 which transferred data by means of pips and clicks if you held the unit up to a microphone (ffs Finns, dial up??? really?) and even then all you got were max and avg values. No graphs, no way of know where you hit that max or where you dropped the avg.

While the 500 has no mapping as such, you can put a route in and it'll give you your progress along it, a breadcrumb trail to follow, a graph of the profile etc. That's useful on a long event, especially one with climbs you don't know.

I'm sure it's a lot better with the CS600 etc. but you still can't just upload your data to their site (and a load of others like ridewithgps) and see on the map where you've been, and where you screwed up.

It's really configurable, which I like. If i had a powermeter I'd have even more things to check and tweak. I'm only scratching the surface of the feedback it can provide but if you using power info its compatibility with opensource software (unlike polar) would be a big bonus. It's has only frozen up on me once, and it recovered quickly and I didn't even lose the data from that ride. I'm very satisfied with it.

I'm sure it's a lot better with the CS600 etc. but you still can't just upload your data to their site (and a load of others like ridewithgps) and see on the map where you've been, and where you screwed up.

Thanks for that.

I never bothered with the pips and squeeks on my older Polar. CS600 uploads via IR. You get have a USB IR dongle that plugs into your PC and then just have to put it alongside and away you go.

I think if you wanted GPS, then the 500 would probably win out. You can get a GPS unit for the CS600, but it's an additional cost and eats up more memory.

tunney wrote: »
    Garmins recording and the poor heart rate reading makes it less than ideal. If there was a ANT+ sport head unit that was decent at recording then it would be ideal, and you used a Suunto HR strap. The only one I know of is the SRM PCVI and PCVII.

Data recording and HR readings are fine with my 705. I used to get power spikes with my Powertap, but either the switch to Quarq or a firmware upgrade has stopped those.

HR problems are with the newer straps, right?

There are still major issues with power measurement and ride stoppages, but that only affects retrospective analysis of endurance rides rather than targetted training like threshold intervals.

• Advertisement

Mainly, yes. I have a cheap Sigma HR that is much better at doing HR than my Garmin. With the Garmin I feel like they tagged on HR at the end.

Data recording and HR readings are fine with my 705. I used to get power spikes with my Powertap, but either the switch to Quarq or a firmware upgrade has stopped those.

There are still major issues with power measurement and ride stoppages, but that only affects retrospective analysis of endurance rides rather than targetted training like threshold intervals.

Premimum straps are worse than standard but not accurate still.

"Only affects retrospective analysis of endurance rides"............ ONLY? ONLY?
    Garmins are useless for any real inspection of data - at its pretty important.

Mainly, yes. I have a cheap Sigma HR that is much better at doing HR than my Garmin. With the Garmin I feel like they tagged on HR at the end.

And have now bolted power on.

"Only affects retrospective analysis of endurance rides"............ ONLY? ONLY? Garmins are useless for any real inspection of data - at its pretty important.

What I mean is: for targetted power training and racing, e.g. threshold intervals and TTs, the Garmin display is perfectly accurate.

The Garmin per-second recording is also fine - I've looked through data files in detail.

The problem comes from retrospective analysis of non-continuous rides. The source data is OK, but all the software I've used has problems with stops and starts in the data, whether automatic or manual.

Any attempt I've made to to track training load (TSS etc) from data gathered on non-continuous rides fails badly, with spikes all over the place. I think this is a problem with the analysis software rather than the Garmin, but I can't be bothered to study the problem further so I've just given up on that approach.

What I mean is: for targetted power training and racing, e.g. threshold intervals and TTs, the Garmin display is perfectly accurate.

The Garmin per-second recording is also fine - I've looked through data files in detail.

The problem comes from retrospective analysis of non-continuous rides. The source data is OK, but all the software I've used has problems with stops and starts in the data, whether automatic or manual.

Any attempt I've made to to track training load (TSS etc) from data gathered on non-continuous rides fails badly, with spikes all over the place. I think this is a problem with the analysis software rather than the Garmin, but I can't be bothered to study the problem further so I've just given up on that approach.

I have looked at the problem in detail and it is garmins fault. the data they spit out is junk.

If you run as well as cycle stopping at lights and what not screws the data.

Now the analysis software could be better and WKO have dropped the ball recently on quality but the root cause is junk data.

I have looked at the problem in detail and it is garmins fault. the data they spit out is junk.

Even with per-second recording?

Maybe the Joule is a way forward. Is the SRM head unit is compatible with Ant+ source?

• Advertisement

Even with per-second recording?

Maybe the Joule is a way forward. Is the SRM head unit is compatible with Ant+ source?

The SRM head unit is ANT+ but is ridiculously expensive.

Not familiar with the Joule to be honest.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I run both, and would comment as follows:

pros - easy to use, can readily flick between displays which are completely uner-definable
    GPS functions and recognised by all the software applications I use (WKO+, Poweragent, Training Centre, Golden Cheetah)

cons - HR and cadence readings prone to spikes.
    Speed and distance soimetimes goes haywire on mine - last week both were doubling up, this week I was hitting 120 kph! (switched off and on again and it was back to normal). For a GPS based system I find this odd - indeed, until I recently reset my unit my regular commute had apparently shortened by over 200m from the same time last year!
    I have recently had problems with the speed data in Poweragent, with a straight line low speed showing

Joule
    pros - more real time power data, including normalised, TSS, IF available real-time. No data spikes.

cons - can only download via Poweragent - I think you can then export to other software, but it seems a lot of hassle.
    Switching between data readings on the bike is more difficult
    No off switch - it goes off automatically after a certain period of inactivity, and you have to remember to switch it back on when you set off again.
    Elevation data does not always work correctly

Power data is very consistent between the 2 units

Overall I'm more familiar with the 705, and probably get more out of it as a result, just using the joule for additional power-based information. However I do think the Joule is a much more reliable piece of kit - I do not recall a single issue with the data (except elevation data, as noted above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm coming from the polar cs200 which transferred data by means of pips and clicks if you held the unit up to a microphone (ffs Finns, dial up??? really?) and even then all you got were max and avg values. No graphs, no way of know where you hit that max or where you dropped the avg.

I recently got a CS200 and I use laps as a hacky way of seeing where I hit the max etc.. Bad thing is it can only store 50 laps so you need to change the lap distance/time depending on how long your ride is going to be.

Nothing to do with the fact that the 705 records at a pretty down sampled rate...nope not that at all.

I trust my own Garmins HR readings and energy guestimate not so much. ITs a great guide, but not as accurate as Polar, or a high sampled power file.

There will always be spikes in power data, its the nature of it, its not always going to be as smooth as a turbo ride.

*just noticed tunneys post

Beasty wrote: »

Joule
    pros - more real time power data, including normalised, TSS, IF available real-time. No data spikes.

cons - can only download via Poweragent - I think you can then export to other software, but it seems a lot of hassle.

You can now use it in WKO+, new build just released that is going to address it properly.

Its still in beta but to be out soon.

Think GC takes the data too no?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think GC takes the data too no?
    Doesn't seem to recognise it directly, but I can export from PowerAgent into an appropriate format and then load it into GC

Having said that, I've not checked for any software updates in GC recently, so maybe there is a simpler way of doing it.

Doesn't seem to recognise it directly, but I can export from PowerAgent into an appropriate format and then load it into GC

Having said that, I've not checked for any software updates in GC recently, so maybe there is a simpler way of doing it.

*says with hushed tones*

I'm actually becoming a big fan of GC now over WKO+......

*says with hushed tones*

I'm actually becoming a big fan of GC now over WKO+......

Me too. I stopped using WKO+ and TrainingPeaks after spunking a load of money on buying them but discovering that there were features in one not in the other, for no reason whatsoever. The whole thing was just too half-arsed.

GC is nicely stable for me now, with the exception of rides which span several days because the Garmin failed to segregate the activity into separate rides. Stupid Garmin. Anyway, the CP curve is lovely.

So after waiting for a few months to see how the 'new wave of pms' worked out, I finally ordered a powertap today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

So after waiting for a few months to see how the 'new wave of pms' worked out, I finally ordered a powertap today.

Why did you chose powertap? Was it down to cost? Cheers

pgibbo wrote: »
    Was it down to cost?

In a word, yes. Main consideration tbh, I liked the idea of crank based but could not justify a minimum of €1700 to get one. Powertap hub works out around €450...

You can just drag and drop the activity from the Garmin unit (the usb disk bit) onto GC list.

GC is great. Can't imagine there's a whole lot of other analysis that you would need that's not there at the moment. The PerfManager is my main screen

Diarmuid wrote: »
    You can just drag and drop the activity from the Garmin unit (the usb disk bit) onto GC list.

GC is great. Can't imagine there's a whole lot of other analysis that you would need that's not there at the moment. The PerfManager is my main screen
    Downloading from the Garmin to GC is fine - it was the Joule I was referring to - GC does not recognise the .bin files it creates

Downloading from the Garmin to GC is fine - it was the Joule I was referring to - GC does not recognise the .bin files it creates
    ah ok. Does ths commit not help?

Oohh GC group

*off to nerd*

• Advertisement
Advertisement