Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest HD box for foreign set up

• 01-09-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

hi
    i currently have tm1500 connected to 13e and 19e
    want to move on to HD now.
    any suggestions for the cheapest HD box available in the market?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Well it all depends what you want out of it? The Fergusson E100 (I think) is cheap and does everything really you need out of a satellite receiver, these can be got for under 100€.

Spend a little more and you can have a combo box, which will do both DVB T/DVB S. The Edision 2 in 1 is fairly popular and cheap (160€)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks for the input
    i guess to make it futuristic, a linux box would be the best option.
    any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The open Linux boxes tend to be buggy hobby affairs or for illegal breaking of payTv encryption rather than solid TV watching platforms. Most of the boxes actually run Linux, but only manufacturer supplied Firmware updates (no user patched firmware).

Having a Linux OS doesn't make it future proof as it can't upgrade tuner hardware and all of the Codec work is by DSP hardware, the CPUs are often about 1/4 power of the current smartphones as they only run the OSD and User Interface.

thanks watty...
    to begin with i had my luck with hobby stuff on non linux boxes.
    so want to try now linux ones. any suggestions for the cheapest ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Dreambox clone would be the cheapest option at the moment. DM800

• Advertisement

thanks snaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Just to comment on Linux boxes being buggy and unstable.. I've only ever used legit Dreamboxes and they have been very solid and stable.

Its seems that in general its the poorly-made clones and unfinished software on some of the other Linux-based receivers that tend to cause this general assumption that Linux boxes are buggy.

I just posted on another related thread today.. I've got a legit DM8000 box up the last 34 days without issues. My older 7025 and 5620 before then were both as reliable. Only the 7025 had stability issues in early 2006 as the enigma2 software (brand new at the time) was being stabilised.

root@dm8000:~# uptime
    13:21:34 up 34 days, 3:58, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.04
    root@dm8000:~#

Advertisement