Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering getting a kitten...

Options
  • 01-09-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Hi all, this is more of an ethical question and not really a question of care as I've had cats in the past and am well aware of their needs.

There is a few pre-kitten ifs:
    1.The landlady agreeing to said kitten
    2. The OH agreeing to said kitten.

I've just moved into a rented house with my OH and 3yr old son, there is someone home most of the day, bar a few hours (roughly 2.30-7). The plan is to stay put for a few years, likely 3 or so and then hopefully look into buying.

At the moment there are so many "ifs and buts" though. In the current climate of job loss, if one (likely the main earner my OH) lost his job we may have to move to an apartment if it is more affordable, or worst case with my parents (who have a large dog) or to the UK to his parents (who have 2 large dogs)

My question is, should I get the kitten, ie continue living as if our plan will see itself through? My main concern would be if we had gotten attached and the cat was well settled, and for some financial reason we had to give it up. I'd be heartbroken.

I should mention, there is no immediate threat in either jobs of lay offs....but these days nothing is certain.

I guess I'm just very wary, having being laid off myself twice, once in 2008 and again in 2009.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really depends on the odds of you having to revert to plan B tbh.

You shouldn't have much difficulty finding an apartment where you'll be allowed to keep the cat, if it comes to that.

There's also generally no real problem having cats and dogs living together, so if you do have to move in with someone who has a dog, it's manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I guess everyone with a pet is in the same boat - no one really knows what the future might bring. I guess you just need to figure out - are there ways around any possible problems?

Cats really don't cost that much to feed, so even with a job loss I would imagine you would still manage it. You should look into pet insurance in case of vet fees - in my experience they are the main expense of pet ownership, apart from the food. (Or even set aside some savings every week for potential vet fees)

Regarding moving - I've moved with my cats twice. They do get a bit stressed for the first few weeks but eventually settle in.

Really - I think no matter what the circumstance - if you want to make it work you will find a way.

You sound like a responsible person who is really thinking it through, so I'd have a lot more faith in your abilities to provide a good home for a kitten, more than lots of people who get one on a whim!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

As already said by other posters nothing is certain and nobody really knows exactly what is ahead of them, at least you have thought through what may happen and what you may have to do if one or both of you lose your job.
    Put aside some savings , even a couple of euro a week as a 'just in case' fund. Pet insurance is a very wise investment and not too expensive for cats.
    One bit of advise I would have if you do get a kitten is to get it used to being inside and used to dogs. If you do have to move to an apartment and the kitten has to be kept indoors at least if it's already used to it it won't be as much of a shock. Same goes for dogs really, introduce him to a few friendly dogs while he's young so if you do end up having to move into either of your parents houses the cat will be used to dogs.
    Cat's can easily be moved to the UK on the ferry, no quarantine or passport required.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Thanks for the advice and words of assurance guys. The only problem with the dogs in both parents houses is that neither are used to / like cats. In fact they all seem to hate them, most likely becaure their owners have trained them that way (such a pity and not at all how I think dogs should be trained).

Pet insurance is a very good idea, and one I had planned on. Finances at the moment are not an issue, so vets bill and food are fine, i'm just worried about down the line and living arrangements.

I guess a chat with the OH is the next step :)

So the OH is mulling over the idea, he's not a huge fan of cats, but doesn't mind them. He's a bit worried about having to look after it, so I guess I just have to keep reassuring him that it will be my responsibility and will help to instill a sense of responsibilty in our son too.

We had a cat before, and he ended up having to change litter tray when I was pregnant (not safe for pregnant women)....not a job he loved doing :)

He's coming around, but I don't want to go ahead until he's fully ok with it. In the mean time i'm on the look out for a kitten looking for a home, in Dublin or surrounding areas. I would ideally like a medium/long haired kitten, grey or grey/white if possible. If anyine knows of any let me know :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭karlos11

OP - It's like i'm reading my own posts!! My girlfriend recently suggested we get a kitten. I had similar questions to your own - we've decided to get one and are going to look at some kittens at the DSPCA shelter tomorrow!

If you live your life asking yourself "but what if" such and such happens? you'll do nothing! What if you didn't start going out with your OH (okay, you'd probably have a cat already!) but you know what i'm getting at!

Like someone else said, you've obviously thought alot about it, so i say - GO FOR IT! And just make sure you don't get pregnant again!! :D

Well this evening OH told me he's on board. We're not going to rush into anything, waiting for the right kitten for us :D

have to contact the LL first, hope she 's ok with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

My main concern is the renting issue - your current landlord/lady might be fine with you having a cat but what if you have to move and the next one wont let you have a pet? These are all things you really need to think of. As someone else said if you did lose your jobs etc cats dont cost a fortune to feed/look after (well one of my cats has cost me a small fortune in the vets the past 3 years due to lots of different things :rolleyes:)
    Just look at the rehoming thread and the amount of dogs/cats that have to be rehomed as the new landlord wont allow pets :( Would you be prepared to keep looking for a house that will allow a pet or would it be easier to ditch the pet?

The other "ifs" you mention like the moving to the uk - you could bring the cat with you??

As i first posted we don't plan on moving until are buying, all going well, and have talked about this with current landlord before signing lease, as in they have no plans to sell house for next few years and we have no plans to move. (Except in the cases in the original post, ie job loss).

As it stands, the question has been put to the landlady, and she wants to run it by her husband before giving me answer.

Fingers crossed!!!

Advertisement