Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEC number

Options
  • 01-09-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

where can i find the DEC number for my Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

after searching both google and gigabytes website I have no idea what the DEC number is, if its a serial of the mobo then it should be on a sticker on the underside of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

its the number u are prompted to enter when u want to overclock in the bios.

and yes i cant find it anywhere either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

I'd recommend sending them a technical support ticket, they are usually very quick to respond with answer

http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/tech.asp?ClassID=2&Country=Ireland&SourceWeb=B2C

link for submitting support ticket above

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Maybe its printed on the back cover of the manual or a sticker on something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I have this mobo and never recall having to enter a number to overclock.... Odd.

Edit: Have to lol. I just rebooted to have a look. If you are changing the CPU multiplier or the Bclk frequency, the "DEC" number that you enter is the number you want to change either setting to. EG: for the mutliplier It says something to the effect of: "Please enter a DEC number (9 - 21) : 20". When you enter 21, then your CPU multiplier from 20 to 21. It's the exact same for the clock, it tells you the lower and upper limits, in MHz, the default being 133. The number you enter here will be the new frequency. I've always just assumed that DEC was short for decimal. Edit: as in (0-9) being the only digits allowed.

• Advertisement

silly me, DEC number, is just gigabyte terminology for the number you select to input for the chosen paramater. i used to have a gig board that wasnt overclockable so wouldnt take any DEC number so hence my confusion!

i just completed my overclock and it went grand, core I5 760 from 2.8 to 3.4ghz, core temps at 53 degrees and all stable.

thanks for all the help¬!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Wait a sec, the I5 760 has an unlocked multiplier!?

yes

Damn, did NOT know that, what's the point of the processors with the k suffix then?

I'm pretty sure that's wrong - i5-760 has a default multi of 21 and a max multi of 21 :p And on Sandy Bridge the "K"s will mostly be "wiggle-room" parts that can add 3-5 bins to their stock multiplier rather than fully unlocked, and the BCLK is locked on them :mad:

• Advertisement

im now running my I5 760 at 3.8mhz on stock cooler

That's gonna be pretty hot in there! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

I can smell it from here
    :cool:

Wait a sec, the I5 760 has an unlocked multiplier!?
    Unlocked in the sense that you can lower it. e.g you can lower the multi from 21 to 14 and raise the Bclk from 133 to 200 and still have the same frequency - but now your memory is running at 200x(it's multiplier).

Ah, I see, thanks Unregistered.!

Also, can someone translate Bclk from Intelian to AMDnglish?

Also, can someone translate Bclk from Intelian to AMDnglish?
    Hmmm. Ok well to start, IIRC, Bclk only applies to Intel's i3/5/7 (and I THINK the newer pentiums and celerons - anything since the fist Nehalem cores came out.) This is the base clock generates the frequency at which CPU, memory, QPI and northbridge run off. In AMD terms, you'd be talking about the HyperTransport Thing.

if it's CPU, memory and Northbridge would it not be closer to FSB?

if it's CPU, memory and Northbridge would it not be closer to FSB?
    QPI/DMI has replaced the FSB. It connects the CPU to the chipset (e.g. CPU <=> P55). This is adjusted as well if you change the Bclk.

Advertisement