Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA ban vuvuzelas from European competitions

• 01-09-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭

Proper Order too. :)
    UEFA have banned the controversial vuvuzela trumpets from all European competitions, including the Champions League, Europa League and the Euro 2012 qualifiers.

The vuvuzelas were the subject of criticism during the 2010 World Cup for their monotonous droning sound and a debate has emerged over whether they should be allowed into grounds in England.

However, UEFA has now claimed that the trumpets drown out supporters and detract from the emotion of the game and have subsequently banned them for not being appropriate in European football.

"European football's governing body has informed its 53 member associations that it has taken the move for reasons related to Europe's football culture and tradition, saying that the atmosphere at matches would be changed by the sound of the vuvuzela," UEFA said in a statement.

"The World Cup was characterised by the vuvuzela's widespread and permanent use in the stands. In the specific context of South Africa, the vuvuzela adds a touch of local flavour and folklore, but UEFA feels that the instrument's widespread use would not be appropriate in Europe, where a continuous loud background noise would be emphasised."

The statement then continued with a clear criticism of the controversial instrument.

"The magic of football consists of the two-way exchange of emotions between the pitch and the stands, where the public can transmit a full range of feelings to the players. However, UEFA is of the view that the vuvuzelas would completely change the atmosphere, drowning supporter emotions and detracting from the experience of the game.

"To avoid the risk of these negative effects in the stadiums where UEFA competitions are played and to protect the culture and tradition of football in Europe - singing, chanting etc. - UEFA has decided with immediate effect that vuvuzelas will not be allowed in the stadiums where UEFA competitions matches are played.''

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thank F*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Vuvuzelas are so 4 months ago.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cool, back to perfect silence for the European game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Deadly *BUUUUUUZZZZZZZ*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No bleedin harm... Awful yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Haters gonna Ha-BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

All the toys can be safely put back in the prams now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Still going down the bollox line of "culturalism" eh? Should be banned because they're sh*t without any lip service paid to their non-existant African history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

FFS,Spas.

FFS,Spas.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Haters gonna Ha-BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Guessing you couldn't find the gif then?

:confused:
    Banning Vuvuzelas is the action of a group of spas.

Banning Vuvuzelas is the action of a group of spas.

How?

How?

I don't see any reason why they should be banned

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

amacachi wrote: »
    Guessing you couldn't find the gif then?
    I felt like typing it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I don't like them but why should they be banned? should bodhrans, drums, brass trumpets be banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

they are stupid feking things, the clowns who blow into them for 90 minutes have no idea what teams are playing half the time or how the game is progressing.

well in fifa !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They annoy people who watch football on tv.

Obviously us here on Boards.ie look down on that sort of thing, how dare fans make a noise whilst Andy Gray is talking.

tbh i think they are fairly ****ing cool at a game, then again i like horns and flares and flags, chanting and standing up at matches.

Kinda weird 4 of the above 5 are banned in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Theres too much banning of stuff in stadiums these days. Its none of UEFAs business if anyone wants to blow stupid plastic trumpets. Which they dont btw.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »

Obviously us here on Boards.ie look down on that sort of thing, how dare fans make a noise whilst Andy Gray is talking.

tbh i think they are fairly ****ing cool at a game, then again i like horns and flares and flags, chanting and standing up at matches.

Its only a matter of time before there's an announcement before kick off asking for the audience, sorry i mean crowd, to turn off there phones and keep quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Flares = Dangerous
    Flags = Blocking peoples view's
    Standing up = also blocking people's views
    Horns and Vuvuzlea's = Annoying as fúck!

I had no problem watching the WC with the vuvuzelas but players complained about them! Players are the governing bodies first concern., if anyone here was at any of the matches in Africa and wants to tell me there actually lovely then my apologies!... No idea why people would be in favour of Vuvuzela's or horns for that matter, Why go to a match and make ridiculous noise like that, if ur going to the match u prob support one of the teams, Chant ur own teams fúcking songs and be happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I had no problem watching the WC with the vuvuzelas but players complained about them!

-

I didn't play shit, it was them horn yokes. Honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Flares = Dangerous
    Flags = Blocking peoples view's
    Standing up = also blocking people's views
    Horns and Vuvuzlea's = Annoying as fúck!

I had no problem watching the WC with the vuvuzelas but players complained about them! Players are the governing bodies first concern., if anyone here was at any of the matches in Africa and wants to tell me there actually lovely then my apologies!... No idea why people would be in favour of Vuvuzela's or horns for that matter, Why go to a match and make ridiculous noise like that, if ur going to the match u prob support one of the teams, Chant ur own teams fúcking songs and be happy with that!

Flares= safe enough to use when in danger, in foreign countries they have buckets of sand for the flare to go into after use. Mad idea!!
    Flags = blocking peoples view, seriously you dont want flags and banners at at games? in foreign lands they place them around the fans and the flag wavers kinda wave their flags for the whole game. its weird but brilliant for the support base. Davy Keogh does not like your opinon.
    Horns and Vuvus and Drums= brilliant atmosphere either with home or away fans, Derry City fans and that goddamn drum :( i hate it but thay make some serious noise. thankfully we have harry potter for our games with his drum.

you need to go to more football matches in foreign lands like ireland spain italy and germany, going further to eastern europe gets uhh strange pigs and goats blood may be used :eek:

this sort of **** must boil your blood.

japan FFS!!

A ****ing bastkeball match!!! (st pats relevance in that song :D )

video of fans that are not policed by Sky Sports.

1.02 greatest moment of my entire football watching life(that cheer sends shivers down my spine), every person in the ground standing up ....HOW DARE WE!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Them Vuvuzelas drown out the chants, though. Can't stand the yokes.

you need to go to more football matches in foreign lands like ireland

Ireland is not a foreign land.

Ireland is not a foreign land.

No but the way league of ireland fans support a club is foreign compared to premiership fans, although the FAI are doing there very best to put a stop to that:mad:

Advertisement