Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

No Kinect Voice Control For Ireland (Till 2011)!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Imagine Jackie Healy Rae giving it instructions ! I can see the Kinect sitting there and just starting to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I dont think it will be a problem unless the Voice control is activated by a live update. i think microsoft treats the uk and irish markets as the one with the exemption of live subs and points (because of the euro) and most retailers here are uk based

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

NTMK wrote: »
    I dont think it will be a problem unless the Voice control is activated by a live update. i think microsoft treats the uk and irish markets as the one with the exemption of live subs and points (because of the euro) and most retailers here are uk based
    I imagine it will be activated by a live update to it's software when more language support is added. I'm pretty sure MS considers the UK and Ireland as different zones in all cases and doesn't just pick and choose. If Canada is being left out it's very likely we will be as well (Spain is also being left out despite Mexico being included)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Have you seen a Canadian lately? No wonder the Kinect won't be able to understand what they're talking aboot with their beady little eyes and flappy heads. Facial recognition will have some fun with this lot!

1204-Canada%20on%20Strike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Why they don't allow you to access it with a disclaimer saying it's not official yet is beyond me. That being said, if it's the "UK region" according to MS then it certainly won't include Ireland. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Jim wrote: »
    I imagine it will be activated by a live update to it's software when more language support is added. I'm pretty sure MS considers the UK and Ireland as different zones in all cases and doesn't just pick and choose. If Canada is being left out it's very likely we will be as well (Spain is also being left out despite Mexico being included)

Well they do also speak French in Canada so that has probably something to do with it too. It's pretty much a bilingual country. I think legally all products have to have both English and French on their packaging so I wonder if there's a similar thing to do with Kinect that they're obliged to provide French and English support.

Also it's firmly put me in the 'not buying Kinect' camp now. Was mildly tempted by the voice control stuff, but not going to bother now.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Well they do also speak French in Canada so that has probably something to do with it too. It's pretty much a bilingual country. I think legally all products have to have both English and French on their packaging so I wonder if there's a similar thing to do with Kinect that they're obliged to provide French and English support.

Also it's firmly put me in the 'not buying Kinect' camp now. Was mildly tempted by the voice control stuff, but not going to bother now.
    Yea, I think that's correct about Canada. They're fairly militant regarding French.

If you put off getting it till voice here is added there will more than likely be some cheap second hand ones floating around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

they probably think we speak Irish all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Haha the Uk Region. I bet that loads of scottish people buy the kinect voice model and it wont work haha:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Yea, I think that's correct about Canada. They're fairly militant regarding French.

If you put off getting it till voice here is added there will more than likely be some cheap second hand ones floating around.

Yeah I'll probably pick i up eventually, but there's nothing really making me want to pick up one at launch. I was thinking the voice control thing would be a cool enough thing to show off when friends were up and stuff, but without that at the moment I'm not sold on Kinect just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Just head up to Newry and buy it there.

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Just head up to Newry and buy it there.
    Just to clarify - The Kinect will be available here in November along with the rest of the world. The issue is that when you plug it into the XBox it is not clear yet whether or not it will accept voice commands if you are in Ireland.
    (You do raise an interesting point, though, if you are a user from NI that might work.)

Yea, if you're living and using it in NI then it'll work. It's irrelevant where you buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well it may be 2011 before I can afford to buy the thing so im not worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I read about this elsewhere actually.

Bull!

Yea, if you're living and using it in NI then it'll work. It's irrelevant where you buy it.
    Yeah - I meant it'll depend on your system settings for the XBox, and your account settings. If you're in NI and have registered your account / system settings as 'Ireland', it probably won't work. If you've registered as 'United Kingdom', then it probably will...
    ... Maybe we should move that part of the thread into a political forum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yeah - I meant it'll depend on your system settings for the XBox, and your account settings. If you're in NI and have registered your account / system settings as 'Ireland', it probably won't work. If you've registered as 'United Kingdom', then it probably will...
    ... Maybe we should move that part of the thread into a political forum :D
    It's not that simple unfortunately, MS do a geo-IP check with your console as well as checking the username country of origin. For example, I have an Irish gamertag but am currently in the UK, despite this I can't access the Indie Games store. I also can't access some content which is specifically region locked, for example some 18s rated demos and DLC, because my console isn't in the same country as my console. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's kind of ironic that Ireland isn't included even though thousands of people come here every year to improve their English.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jordanator

I got kinect today, and mine has has voice control, as in it works. What about other peoples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It doesn't work for me; I tried changing my locale and everything.

Does the voice control work in just the Kinect browser or can you use it to navigate and play a movie or music collection?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was at the launch party last night and we were told that there's an Irish accent patch due out "in a few days" but they didn't know themselves when exactly. One of the lads here in the office says his isn't working either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I've figured out the Voice control.
    We do have it, with a catch.
    You need to set your locale to either USA or UK, and then log off from Xbox Live.
    It won't work if you're online, but will if you're offline.

Set you're local to USA or UK, go through the audio calibration, and then disconnect from live.

Say "Xbox" and away you go.

;)

Kharn wrote: »
    I was at the launch party last night and we were told that there's an Irish accent patch due out "in a few days" but they didn't know themselves when exactly. One of the lads here in the office says his isn't working either.
    On other peoples kinect, what doesnt work with the voice control? Can you actually comman kinect to go to the kinect hub etc?

jordanator wrote: »
    On other peoples kinect, what doesnt work with the voice control? Can you actually comman kinect to go to the kinect hub etc?

If I say "Xbox" a little dialog line at the bottom comes up.
    I say "Kinect" it goes into the hub.
    I can then say "Xbox Play" and it'll play the disc, or "Xbox Achievements" and it'll go in there etc....

Because I can only do this while offline, I can't try out any of the features like Kinect Video, or Zune.

If I want to go back to the dashboard, I just say "Xbox Dashboard".

That is strange. I can do all the commands you just mentioned when I'm signed in, and connected to Xbox live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

If I say "Xbox" a little dialog line at the bottom comes up.
    I say "Kinect" it goes into the hub.
    I can then say "Xbox Play" and it'll play the disc, or "Xbox Achievements" and it'll go in there etc....

Because I can only do this while offline, I can't try out any of the features like Kinect Video, or Zune.

If I want to go back to the dashboard, I just say "Xbox Dashboard".

Yea just tried that now too. With locale set at Ireland I can control Sky Player and Zune with voice commands such as stop, play, pause etc

I must say I'm disapointed that you don't get Kinect controls for DVD's.

Advertisement