Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cinematic platformers

Options
  • 01-09-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

just finished Limbo and was on the wiki page for it where someone dubbed this and a number of other titles as *cinematic platformers*

Taking a look at its brethen I am reminded that I really liked this sub genre but I was as a kid crap at most of them. I remember I never got out of the jungle in flashback and I could only kill the beast that you meet at the beginning of Another World.

Though after finishing limbo and being reminded of this love. I'm hoping we might see rereleases of the above and the classic abe games due to limbo's success (unless I missed it already :D) Though all of the game's suffer the same complaint (too short) aot.

But I am sad to say I never embarked on the truly epic entry in this sub genre...

Heart of Darkness.

Is it worth digging for? I remember the buzz on its release faded very quickly to poor reviews and I didnt own a psone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I bought Heart of Darkness on the PC when it came out. It was a beautiful game, but pretty short and hard as nails.

I loved it though (it's in the same camp as Flashback and Another World, which are two more that will fit in with your 'cinematic platformers' genre)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Mr E wrote: »
    I loved it though (it's in the same camp as Flashback and Another World, which are two more that will fit in with your 'cinematic platformers' genre)

yeah thats why i named them both in the 2nd paragraph :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,999 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Abe's odyssey would be another one that immediately comes to mind.

There's also BlackThorne, but it's not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Damn... my speed reading skills are letting me down today. :)

Master of the Universe

Speaking of Another World, did you see that someone put together a High res version for the PC?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/15/out-of-this-world-remastered-with-high-res-graphics/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heart of Darkness was great alright, hard as hell and brief but pretty rewarding on the whole.

This is the game that instantly sprung to mind: http://www.adamatomic.com/canabalt/

Can't think of a whole lot more at the moment, sure there are plenty, but drawing a blank!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Heart of Darkness was ridiculously difficult. I remember having a walkthrough for it and gave into its secrets on plenty of occasions.

Great game though!

Master of the Universe

Ooohh! I have another one - Elevator Action Returns. Absolutely brilliant game. It's an arcade one though. So you'll need MAME. Was also released in Japan on the Saturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah, Another World. I remember getting a demo of it in a magazine. It came on a 5 3/4 inch floppy disk and it was the first intro cinematic I'd ever seen. I was absolutely blown away by it.

I never played Heart Of Darkness. Must see if it's any good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's the two PS1 oddworld games. Also Klonoa has a surprisingly dark story. Doesn't look like it does until you get further in.

• Advertisement

Jeez - I'm looking at all the ways to die in Heart of Darkness on Youtube. There's about 6 minutes worth - man it seems like a tough game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah thinking back it actually is a very similar predecessor to Limbo: less 'arty' but still with that slightly twisted streak of having the young protagonist die in as many ways as they could think up :pac: Think I still have my PC version of it lying around, might boot it up one of these days. Remember it being difficult from the first level, with the 'trial and error' gameplay that defines many of these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Jeez - I'm looking at all the ways to die in Heart of Darkness on Youtube. There's about 6 minutes worth - man it seems like a tough game!

Holy moley ! Looks damn ass hard, trial and error dying by the looks of it !

Advertisement