Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 bikes stolen

• 01-09-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭

My dad’s shed (he lives in Crumlin) was broken into yesterday and two of my bikes, which I store there, were stolen. The bikes and shed were pretty well locked, well so I thought anyway. The two bikes are as follows:
    1. Specialzied Stumpjumper Comp ’08, 19”, black with blue trim. Recently had new wheels added (blue hope pro 2 hubs and Mavic 819 rims on ust Ignitors) and also had the brakes upgraded to Juicy 7s
    2. Bianchi Pista 57cm (’06 I think) with yellow Stelle Italia saddle and yellow schwable tyres.
    If anyone comes across any information re either bike I would be grateful if you could contact either myself or the gardai.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

i live there and had new bike stoeln at xmas on sundrive road , two locks chained to a pole - locks and all gone .

can you post pics and serials ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Probably not a good idea to post the serial number, keep it for verification of ownership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

Hi,

I dont have have pics or serials. I meant to take pics of the bikes and their serial numbers so many times!! Whats worse is, I am nearly sure my dads house is not insured.

The Bianchi is pretty much stock except for the yellow saddle and yellow tyres: http://whyilive.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/bianchi.jpg?w=420&h=270

The Stumpjumper looks likes this: http://www.jacksbikes.com/contents/media/specialized%20stumpjumper%20comp%202008.jpg

I cant tell you how gutted I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He doesn't even have contents cover ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

ciarsciars wrote: »
    I am nearly sure my dads house is not insured.
    That's a big risk. Sorry to hear about the theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He doesn't even have contents cover ?

Contents cover would get you about €125 max per bike...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Contents cover would get you about €125 max per bike...

Thats common alright, generally you have to specify the bike on your policy to insure it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

It varies. Some policies won't cover unspecified bikes at all, others will up to roughly €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As mentioned above, it's policy dependant, my bike is covered for pretty much its full value under my policy without having to specify it as a separate risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

Bike theft is rife in Dublin. I had a bike stolen under my nose in work. It probably would be no point checking shops like McCormacks. Does anyone know where the bikes end up? And more to the point, did they take anything esle from the shed, i.e. did they know what they were looking for? I heard a rumour that bikes were stolen to order and shipped off to other countries.

• Advertisement

They knew exactly what they were looking for and i'm sure they knew my dad was away on holiday. It wasn't just an opportunistic crime.

They broke through a dead lock on the door at the side entrance of the house and two dead locks on the shed door. The two bikes stolen were locked together with 3 locks! The bikes must have been lifted out together as there was no sign of any of the locks being broken. Maybe there was a van waiting outside or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Try asking around the neighbourhood if possible. Offer rewards etc.. We had a bike stolen from our house and some of the local scumbags knew all about it and were taunting us and offering "to sell us a bike". We got the Garda involved and the bike was recovered. Turns out a local "burglar" known in the area was responsible and the scumbags were trying to flog it for him.

Anyway, we offered the scumbags money for the bike back (which we didn't pay) and they were more than willing to let us know that the bike was still around and pretty much who stole it.

Your incident sounds a bit more professional than ours in terms of theft, but there might be no harm in asking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

That's terrible! That kinda backs up the theory of being stolen to order. For a year I parked my bashed up bike outside work, the one day I put my good bike outside, it was stolen. They only seem to steal the good bikes and leave the muck ones. So, they must have been keeping an eye on your dads bikes. You have my sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

ciarsciars wrote: »
    They broke through a dead lock on the door at the side entrance of the house and two dead locks on the shed door. The two bikes stolen were locked together with 3 locks! The bikes must have been lifted out together as there was no sign of any of the locks being broken. Maybe there was a van waiting outside or something.
    Wow thats a lot of locks for them to break through. What more could you have done? What time of day were they stolen and have you spoken to neighbors?

Not sure what time it happened. Haven't spoken to neighbours. I'm assuming if they saw anything they would have volunteered the information.

Advertisement