Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layout of Lusk before ring road/new estates

Options
  • 01-09-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

I am a relatively recent arrival in Lusk, and I do a lot of running around the back roads between Lusk and Rush/Skerries.

One thing I've wondered is what was the layout of these roads like before they built the bypass and Lusk Village estate?

I'm particularly wondering about the roads from Tyrellstown and Greatcommon (on this map). Presumably they met up with the Rush road at some point, or went in to the centre of the village?

I'm assuming all of the roads in Lusk Village housing estate are new roads, or do any of them follow the course of an old road?

Can anyone educate me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

The Tyrellstown and Great Common roads met at a junction, just past the new roundabout they are now at, became one road which came out down between the soccer club and Lusk motor factors. If you go down that little road there, you'll see it goes nowhere, it's just blocked off now. It used to cut through and swing around to become the Great Common Road, with the Tyrellstown Road being a side road off it.

The ring road was built through fields that were adjacent to Orlynn Park. Currently, you can see a field around which Orlynn Park is built, and an entrance to another field from it (you can see it from the ring road, just beside the new estate that's being built). Not that long ago, the HSE nursing home, the affordable estate behind it, the new estate (being built) and the ring road didn't exist and there were gaelic and football pitches spread over one enormous field there, accessible from Orlynn Park and from a small lane that led to the houses that you see on your left as you come along the Ring Road towards the Dublin Road roundabout.

Lusk Village is completely new. As is Dun Emer and Chapel Farm. These were all fields. The Supervalu building and health clinic in the middle of the town are also new.

That's as much as I remember...I grew up in Lusk. Maybe people a bit older than me will have more information, though I think I'm not far wrong with what I've told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,721505,754247,5

Try this for an aerial photo c. 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Ah, I should have figured out they met up with that laneway beside the soccer club. Pretty obvious when I think about it.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great photo by the way. Really interesting to toggle between the 2005 and 2000 versions,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Peckham wrote: »
    Great photo by the way. Really interesting to toggle between the 2005 and 2000 versions,

It's a super device to see how areas have evolved over the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Serious change in the last 10 years alright. Whats the population of Lusk now? Im guessing about 7k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I grew up in Lusk and it is still shocking when I get home how much the village has exploded since 2000. Even my girlfriend who first visited Lusk early 2003 remembers when "this was all fields" especially around the old end of Orlynn Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I played plenty of football down in Reamount. Its a massive change from what I remember. I remember the old roads you mention at the start of the thread.

Hands at the square, Nearys little shop where you cut through by the Round Tower, Bennetts - The Old Post office, Katie Hunts? Shop at Minister Rd and Disco up in the Library on Saturday.

You picked a good spot to move to, Lusk people are sound and there is good banter between us in Rush and them crowd in Lusk;)

Fogra, if you are in to Running there is a good history of Athletics in Lusk and I think the club is back up and running, no pun intended

I remember Hands, the Old Post Office, Butlers...don't remember the disco or Bennetts I don't think (mightn't be old enough!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

dan_d wrote: »
    I remember Hands, the Old Post Office, Butlers...don't remember the disco or Bennetts I don't think (mightn't be old enough!!)

The old Post Office was ran by Eugene Bennett, dont remember his wife's name. He had a son Noel who worked in the Post office. Noel died abt 15 yers ago, quite young, about 30-35. Carmel McGowan took over as postmistress must be about 20years ago but she retired about 10 years ago.
    Rush people might remember Carmel as Carmel (McGavisk), She was married to Liam McGavisk who was a butcher in Mackeys in Rush, now Hacketts.

Where was butlers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Butlers shop was were the village store is now. It was basically a big portacabin. Anyone remember the video shop on the green and nearys shop beside it?

Carmel I remember vividly! Lovely lady, but man, could she talk...you wouldn't want to be in a hurry!!!

Butlers was the existing Village store.They sold penny sweets, like the new Old sweetshops in Balbriggan, Rush, Skerries etc. Used to go in after school looking for a pound worth of penny sweets , divided into 10p of one type, 25p of another,20p of another - the people who worked there hated us...

I also remember Dr Reilly's surgery at the junction at Murrays....

Advertisement