Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone nervous about starting College? Or were you nervous when u started college?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 1:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

I get excited about college sometimes but mostly Im just really really nervous-slightly dreading it infact.

I know i'll prob love it once I get into it.

Is this normal?

How should I calm these nerves?

P.S I know Ive chosen the right course and am rele lookin forward to the actual course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If it helps, remember, everyone who picked the course is going to be the same as you. probably the same interests too.

Also, talk to plenty of people on your first day, don't be shy. at least 95% of ye won't know each other. And if it helps, remember the first week is generally nothing but fun.

College is awesome, enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Elevenses101

I suppose that it's normal to get nervous, I was more nervous about moving away from home rather than starting college itself. One bit of advice though that I did was sit next to a different person in every class for the first two weeks...best way to get to know everyone! Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lunalove wrote: »
    I get excited about college sometimes but mostly Im just really really nervous-slightly dreading it infact.

I know i'll prob love it once I get into it.

Is this normal?

How should I calm these nerves?

P.S I know Ive chosen the right course and am rele lookin forward to the actual course!

Its natural to be nervous, on my first day, I was really nervous and when I got there and realised I knew one of the guys from soccer it made it easier.

One of our 1st lecture's was spent with the whole class, about 60 people doing a short introdution of themselves, really helped to shed the nerves when your standing in front of your class telling them a bit about yourself.

Best thing to do is just be yourself and act normal, its normal to be nervous, everyone will have some reservations of starting a new chapter in there life and meeting new people but its well worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I was ****ting it!!

Hated the first week, settled in grand after that and cant wait to go back now!!

You'll be grand its natural!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭graceknowsstuff

I am super nervous! I'm so scared that I won't be smart enough or whatever, or I won't be able to function outside of my home!
    I'm also terribly worried that there is more that I should be doing/paying right now, but that I just don't understand any of these forms.. haha!

I am positive that everyone is feeling kind of nervous, but at least we're all in the same boat, right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Lunalove

Omg Im so relieved to find out that someone else is nervous! None of my friends seem nervous! Im sure we'll do fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

I'm heading into 2nd year of college this year!! Most of my Leaving Cert Year went to Galway and Sligo and I decided to go to Dublin on my own. As terrifying as it may sound the first day you meet everyone you'll see that everyone is in the same situation, your nerves will just disappear after 5 minutes I can be certain. The inductions/fresher's week is so much fun you will make so many friends from doing group activities or events together, I can guarantee you will look back and wonder why you were stressing so much!!
    I'm so scared that I won't be smart enough or whatever

Also, in relation to worrying about the workload, the lecturers are going to go at a suitably slow pace for a while until you get used to the whole lecture or college experience. Think of it this way you did get the points to get into this, pass the interviews or entrance exams you are well capable for the course.

One thing I will say about starting first year is join as many societies as you can, even just to try new things. its a great way of settling in and meeting a load of new friends.

Finally, Best of Luck to Everyone starting college for the first time, the best days of your life lay ahead of you in the coming weeks. biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was really looking forward to it all summer and my nerves started to kick in after orientation day. Im not so worried about fitting in or anything, that will just take some time. Im more worried about the lectures side of it. I know its fairly normal to be like that but its just having no idea what to expect from it is part of the way I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

what sort of things do you need to bring for your first day:confused:? registration i mean! or maby the proper first day? just a full scap and a biro:o?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

I'm so nervous about starting. I mean i know the college is only up the road and it's not like i had to move far away but nobody that i know is doing my course. I'm really nervous about meeting people and fitting in and all but i think it's also the whole work side of it just wondering if i'm going to be able to keep up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I was so nervous until last week when I moved into campus and had my orientation and now I'm just incredibly excited. Just make sure to talk to everyone....they're all in the same boat and want to meet new people also! I thought I was going to be a massive loner but I made friends with housemates easy enough and I only met people in my course yesterday but they all seem lovely. :D

I really wish I could just fast forward the next two or three weeks because I know I'll prob be fine by then. It's just all the waiting that's getting to me!!! IM SO NERVOUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

Lunalove wrote: »
    I really wish I could just fast forward the next two or three weeks because I know I'll prob be fine by then. It's just all the waiting that's getting to me!!! IM SO NERVOUS!

Glad i'm not the only one.....Everybody i know can't wait to start and are litreally counting down the days

• Registered Users Posts: 48 smellslikelemon

Great relief, been feeling nervous for a while now despite wanting nothing more than to go to college and getting the course of my dreams.
    Going to actually miss my parents loads and I'm not great with transition so hopefully all the advice here is going to help (:

I just moved into my student accom and am feeling a little bit better now. i think it'll get easier as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Lunalove, thanks for starting this thread, and to everyone else here for posting.

My orientation day for Arts is tomorrow and I'm very nervous. Like I used to be the day before going back to primary school after summer holidays.

I assume people here who were nervous about college a few days/weeks ago are now settled in? How has your college experience been so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I was nervous at first but after registration I was grand and settled in pretty fast. I've been back a week now and know a few of my class, thankfully there's only about 20 in it.

So far I'm liking it, I've a good lot of free time to spend in the library messing around on the computers visiting Boards and other sites. That will probably get used up though when assignments start and things start grinding again.

Once you find your own footing, you're grand. Start branching out and look at the Clubs and Socieities, meet new people and make friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

brilliant :D! just say hi to everyone and be nice and all that craic. everyone is in much the same position so your not the only one! but ya, i didnt know anyone and you meet so many people, its unbelieveable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Okay, I had my orientation day yesterday and met few people; am not feeling half as nervous now but there still seems to be an overwhelming amount of things to do and people to meet. Haha, and I still haven't done my theory test. All in good time...

Advertisement